Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think Singapore should choose a Malay as its next president. The position of president should ideally be filled by a member from the minority community, among them Indians, Eurasians, Malays, others. If not president, then at least a deputy prime minister. Surely, there are many qualified candidates from the minorities. This is to bring in more checks and balance.
    At one time even Thailand, a Bhuddist country, had a muslim as its head of the armed forces.
    Singapore Malays are quite well off now and many are well educated. I used to have an assistant, a Malay from Singapore, assigned to assist me for 6 months in Hong Kong many years ago. He was a pretty smart chap and would go far in life. He was an ex army captain or major and had an assignment with the Israeli army in Israel prior to joining me. Frankly I was surprised that Singapore would allow a Malay to train in Israel at that time. So even at that time (twenty 29 years ago) Sngapore had many capable Malays it could depend on.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well the first President of Singapore was a Malay. President Yusof Ishak was highly respectable and he did an excellent job for Singapore. He was among the very few Malays who graduated from the Raffles College if I'm not wrong and was a journalist before he became President. President Ishak's portrait is on every Singapore currency note and it goes to show how important and well regarded he was to Singapore.

Just a brief note from Wikipedia on our Presidents since independence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Singapore

"The President of the Republic of Singapore is Singapore's head of state. In a Westminster parliamentary system, which Singapore possesses, the prime minister is the head of the government while the position of president is largely ceremonial.

Before 1993, the President of Singapore was chosen by Parliament. Following amendments to the constitution enacted in 1991, the Presidency became a popularly-elected office. The first President elected by the people was Ong Teng Cheong, who served from 1 September 1993 to 31 August 1999. The current President of Singapore is Sellapan Ramanathan (S.R. Nathan), who first became head of state in 18 August 1999 and is presently serving his second term of office.

The President of the Republic of Singapore is a ceremonial head of state broadly analogous to the Sovereign of the United Kingdom, but the 1991 constitutional amendments gave the President certain reserve powers over government expenditure of financial reserves and appointments to key public offices. The President's official residence is the Istana.

The office of President was created in 1965 after Singapore became a republic upon its secession from the Federation of Malaysia that year. It replaced the office of Yang di-Pertuan Negara, which had been created when Singapore attained self-government in 1959. The last Yang di-Pertuan Negara, Yusof bin Ishak, became the first President. He was replaced by Benjamin Sheares after his death, who served as President until his death in 1981, when he was succeeded by Chengara Veetil Devan Nair. Owing to personal problems, Nair stepped down in 1985 and was replaced by Wee Kim Wee, who served as President until 1993.

So Singapore has been served by Presidents who came from the various races:

1 Malay (Yusof Ishak)
    1 Eurasian (Benjamin Sheares)
    2 Indians (Devan Nair, SR Nathan)
    1 Chinese (Ong Teng Cheong)

Now that the President is an elected office, the candidate must be pre-qualified and meet the exacting standards required under the rules before he could be nominated.

As for the Prime Minister, so far only three Chinese have been chosen, Lee Kuan Yew, Goh Chok Tong and Lee Hsien Loong.

But there were Malays and Indians who became Ministers.

Being a meritocracy, Singapore can eventually choose a Malay or Indian to be the PM. But this candidate must be highly qualified and can win the respect and votes of both the people and party members.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes I was surprised too.

And I think that was one "not too big" a price Singapore has to pay to sponsor some of our talented young people to study overseas and to be the best they can. Because these talents may return to serve Singapore one of these fine days.

Other developed countries can offer better prospects and high pay to retain talented foreign students from Asia as Singapore itself tries to entice the best brains from other countries with attractive offers. So long as we have a net positive trade-off, Singapore is still okay I guess.

But Singaporeans who have migrated or are working overseas are not a total loss so long as we can re-connect with them and update them with activities and news happening in Singapore. So "Singapore Day" organized annually in a foreign city where Singaporeans can be found in large numbers there and in the vicinity is a good idea. And through the internet, our ministries make themselves available for such Singaporeans. They can also be our ambassadors of sorts, our link and our middle-men in transactions concerning Singapore.

And in this regard, I think Channel News Asia is making a valuable contribution as well.

#163 Loh, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I thought the Singapore government is very concerned about losing its talent. A high percentage of top graduates emigrated, from 1 out of 6 among the very top bonded graduates to one third among the very top and brightest non-bonded graduates. I think this loss is not due to a lack of patriotism. Maybe, it is due to a lack of space in a tiny island. At the end of the day, size does count-in land, population, etc.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Tell me which government is not concerned about losing its talent especially if that country has limited resources?;) Of course the Singapore government is concerned and that's why it continues to think of ways to attact overseas Singaporeans to return to Singapore ultimately.

It is always a dilemna for a global city like Singapore to be abreast of the world's developments and be ahead of some if possible. One of the best ways is to send its impressionable talented young overseas to learn the latest so that they can be developed further overseas and to return home to contribute.

But the young has a mind of his own and breaking bonds is now considered a normal event. After all, the prospective employer can pay for his bond. And maybe some bond conditions are too restrictive and do not give sufficient room for the bondholder to want to upgrade himself further, like studying for a higher degree or gaining more experience, etc.

I suppose there are other reasons why bondholders or the talented young are not keen to return home so soon or not at all. Space constraints at home could be one of the reasons, but a resourceful person and the government can think of alternatives.

While Singapore is small in size, the neighbouring countries are much bigger and can offer much attractions. It takes a relatively short time to visit and even in far away places like Europe and the Americas, it is still bearable.

The government can make travel more attractive, say with lower taxes and within its own country to develop more attractions that suit the young and the family.

That's one reason why Singapore is developing its tourist attractions like the Integrated Resorts in both the Marina Bay and Sentosa island, making Singapore a Sports Hub and convention centre, organising world class events like the F1, Asian Youth Games, Youth Olympics, Aviva Singapore Open, Singapore Air Show, bringing in some of the world's best artists to perform at the Esplande-Theatres on the Bay, celebrating the annual National Day Parade when the entire family can watch together at the venue or on TV, upgrading of our housing estates, providing more and varied recreational venues that include the parks, forest reserves, beaches and the reserviors, making the Singapore environment more liveable with more greenry and plants and cleaner, improving our iconic tourists attractions such as our Singapore Zoo, our Jurong Bird Park, our Botanic Gardens, our museums, our heritage sites, etc, etc.

This will hopefully induce Singaporeans to stay or to return home from overseas in due course. :)

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Singapore's achilles heel is its small size. Its 655 + sq km land area is not large enough for its population now and in the future. Without real estate to expand in the future, Singaporeans are forced to live to work instead of work to live, which whilst generating more productivity gain, cries out for more space and time instead of a feeling of being in a working office 24 hours a day. I believe this is the main reason for the brain drain. It needs a big hinterland, initially with a more permanent tie-up with Malaysia and later Indonesia to form an EURO type of union. Without a hinterland it is fast becoming a place only to work and make money, nothing much else.
    This may be an over simplification but it does make some sense.

7. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Lee Dynasty will still in powers regardless who is the President.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    While a small physical size has its limitations, it also has its advantages as it is easier to manage and improvements can be introduced more quickly. That is one reason why Singapore can so quickly be transformed into a developed country with all the attendant advantages that much bigger and undeveloped countries cannot.

With a much higher standard of living and higher earnings, Singaporeans can travel the world literally and not be confined to country's geographical boundaries. With a first class airport and so many international airlines available here, Singaporeans enjoy the flexibility of travelling to any country of choice at a moment's notice. The good infrastructure and communications are available for Singaporeans to make use of. The world is at Singapore's feet and isn't that a size bigger than the world's individual countries? So size is not so vital in this sense. It could be a relief as one has to look elsewhere for a change. :rolleyes:

Basic housing needs have been taken care of by the Government and the ongoing upgrading of housing estates has made living conditions much more pleasant. I have posted a thread on how even the UN has recognized Singapore as a model for urban planning and public housing development. Singaporeans who aspire for private housing can work towards earning more money through hard work.

Singaporeans work hard because they know with a much higher income they can buy things they want - travel, real estate (in other countries as well), luxury goods, including the lastest car, golf clubs not only in Singapore but elsewhere in the region including Hong Kong, Australia, UK, etc. They could also send their children to the best universities in the world and visit them once a while.

So does working hard in the office even for longer hours if required mean one has no time for other things? Of course not! A good worker can manage his time well and have goals and time frames for whatever he wants to do.

So is Singapore's small size its Achilles heel? Then why are some bigger countries still undeveloped and relatively less people visit them? Why do more tourists visit Singapore? In fact why must tourists visit other countries if their own country is many, many more times bigger than Singapore? What is it that Singapore attracts them? Do these things attract locals as well? It may take more time for Singaporeans to get used to its small size but one often gets the feeling that Singaporeans are normally very happy to come home from a trip overseas. It is family, relatives, friends and the familiar things in the country that make them long to return. I have heard quite a few of these comments as described in my thread on "Singapore Day".

The many recent developments and activities that I have mentioned previously and others that will be carried out in due course are meant to keep locals more occupied at home. They also attract visitors to our shores. Now Orchard Road, our tourist shopping belt, is being transformed into a more attractive place with three more new modern shopping malls, wider pavements, new street furniture, more events and activities, etc.

A big hinterland helps but may not necessarily be the only reason for one's survival and success as Singapore has proven. As I have mentioned, being a global city, the world is Singapore's hinterland now.

Have not Switzerland and Hong Kong (even before its return to China) whose size are relatively small, though bigger than Singapore's, proven to the world that they are successful and attractive in their own way? :D

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If you have nothing better to say, I hope you refrain from political snipes at Singapore's expense.

If I may just refer you to the background of your own PM now, what better right you have to criticize Singapore on this point? Why don't you mention the USA as well? Why single out Singapore? What do you have against Singapore? :rolleyes:

As far as Singapore is concerned, the PM must first be elected as an MP and then he must be chosen from within the cabinet. The cabinet comprise of other duly elected and highly qualified MPs from the same party. By your remarks you are demeaning the standards, independence and quality of the other cabinet members.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Loh, Switzerland is not such a small country. It may be small when compared with bigger countries but Switzerland is 65 times larger than Singapore and it has almost double the population, almost all of them Swiss.
    Hong Kong was like Singapore before 1997 and HK lost many talented people. But HK gets an endless supply of new talents from China and China is a real hinterland for HK now. Almost all the post graduates in HK are mainland Chinese. HK has an unbiblical cord to China. Singapore has no such neighbourly tie-up or embrace. Instead, her neighbours want any link to be a long and winding road with a crooked bridge at every bend. There is an invisible barrier. How do we go about to love thy neighbours and be loved by them? :confused:

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Well as far as I know Switzerland is in mountaineous country and its population of 7,489,370 (July 2005 est.) are made up of mainly Germans (65%), French (18%), Italian (10%) and others. Of its total land area of 41,290 sq km, 39,770 sq km is land and 1,520 sq km is water. How much of the land is mountains, I can't find the answer from the same source but Switzerland's terrian is quoted as "mostly mountains (Alps in south, Jura in northwest) with a central plateau of rolling hills, plains, and large lakes."

http://geography.about.com/library/cia/blcswitzerland.htm

So Switzerland cannot be twice the population size of Singapore (around 5 million now with a target of 6 million) as it has a low birth rate (9.77 births/1,000 population (2005 est.) and Swiss nationality comprises of many ethnic groups as indicated.

Though Switzerland is independent, it has a history of close cooperation with its neighbours as the same source indicated:

"The Swiss Confederation secured its independence from the Holy Roman Empire in 1499. Switzerland's sovreignty and neutrality have long been honored by the major European powers, and the country was not involved in either of the two World Wars.

The political and economic integration of Europe over the past half century, as well as Switzerland's role in many UN and international organizations, has strengthened Switzerland's ties with its neighbors."

So it is fair to say that actually Switzerland has a large friendly European hinterland though this is unofficial.

As regards Hong Kong's case, I can well remember how Hong Kong people felt when the then British colony was about to be returned to China in 1997, barely a decade ago. Many who have the means tried to obtain a second citizenship elsewhere and Britian was hard pressed to accept as many Hong Kong people but could not. Those who were unable to move out of HK for various reasons, principally financial, had no alternative but tried to make the best of available resources as they were afraid that the Communist government would make life very difficult and take away their civil liberties.

However, as it turned out those fears were unfounded as Hong Kong continued to thrive and instead of being a burden to them, China became very much a saviour as you rightly ascribed to China being HK's hinterland now.

Now will HK be able to survive if it were left on its own without China being its hinterland? I think HK can just like Singapore was able to survive on its own. Because HK people are resourceful and hardworking as they have proven under the British. HK has no umbilical cord with China then and even relationship with the mainlanders were not brotherly!

Love-hate relationship happens throughout history. International relations is now based on whether we have any common interest and how well we can develop such interests that can bring about mutual benefits. Singapore's foreign policy has been and still is "to be a friend to all and an enemy to none". We accept that all countries are entitled to their own views and to safeguard their own interests. But we can continue to keep in touch and agree to disagree. :D

If Germany and Vietnam can be reunited there is hope. It is much better than the "still at war" posture between North and South Korea. If people of
    the same ethnicity and historical background cannot live together, Singapore's
    position cannot be worse.

However, other wars, be they ideological, economic, political, religious, etc, among nations will continue and there is not much we can do about it. So if Singapore has no hinterland as you described it, it really doesn't matter much because Singapore has survived through half a century without one. Instead tiny Singapore has progressed and prospered far beyond the imagination of its neighbours.

And I repeat, Singapore's hinterland is no longer the historical notion of a physical/geographical nearness of its bigger neighbours. Singapore's backyard is the world at large. Can any hinterland be bigger? :)

#171 Loh, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Loh, just like you claim that the world at large is Singapor'e backyard, almost every other country can claim the same too. The difference is other countries don't do so because it is not in their nature to do so.
    Yes, Hong Kong prior to 1997 was a borrowed place living on borrowed time, with many countries in the world, including Singapore, choosing their pickings of HK's best talents. With most of her best talents gone, HK had reinvented itself by being more "Chinese" with more high quality Chinese human inputs.
    Had Hong Kong remained a colony it might be completely displaced by Shanghai and will revert back to its early 1880s "a barren rock in a barren place".
    Just like Taiwan with China, the best time for Singapore to seek a greater " co-prosperity sphere" with her close neighbours to lay a solid foundation for a greater permanent union is now, when her bargaining power is greatest. The longer this is delayed the weaker your bargaining power. That Taiwan's president Ma is one smart man with impeccable sense of timing. Without a permanent union with Malaysia, Singapore will slowly become a little like what pre-1997 HK was, with the best brains leaving and immigrant workers population growing, the latter a necessary evil for economic growth without a hinterland.
    Perhaps Singapore's mentor minister also has impeccable sense of timing, reading the tea leaves from his recent grand tour of Malaysia. Maybe he knows something we don't know.:)

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    History has a certain way of defying the odds. We cannot accurately foresee the final outcome as change is inevitable. Ideas and leadership will also change with time. Now we have a coloured President in the United States of America when not too long ago, coloured people were largely slaves.

Singapore is an open economy and largely depends on the world for its exports of goods and services. That's why I said the world is Singapore's hinterland. Not many countries can be categorized the same as Singapore because of the nature of their economy, when they do not depend largely on exports to the world for survival.

Right now Singapore is enjoying a phase when we are able to attract some of the best brains in the world. We have a variety from different backgrounds and not just from the same source like Hong Kong now gets mainly from China as you said. How long will this last, I cannot tell but I believe we still get a positive net trade-off in the brain exchange. One day, our own talents may return to Singapore to contribute just as overseas Chinese are attracted to return home to China.

As to your suggestion of a permanent union with Malaysia, unless there is a drastic change in the attitude and policies of the Malaysian leadership, I think there is little hope of a merger again. It is pointless to lower one's success and current standing unless there is a guarantee of a better future.

Singapore believes in meritocracy, transparency and accountability, and in my opinion Singapore should do better with a much bigger country which subscribes to such ideas, a country which has proven its ability as a forward-looking, goal-oriented nation which has the interest of its citizens at heart. Otherwise, it is much better for Singapore to stand alone as it does now so successfully and continue to have freedom to do the things it aspires.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Singapore has a very high percentage of permanent residents to citizens of about 13%. These permanent residents are talents from other countries scouted and courted by the Singapore government. The high percentage shows that permanent residents want to stay in Singapore for financial and economic reason, but are not willing to call it a permanent home. This is despite recent moves by the government to "tax" permanent residents by removing benefits they traditionall enjoyed with citizens. This non-permanence attitude by permanent residents may be also the cause for Singapore losing its top non-bonded graduates.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    China's progress looks nothing like Singapore's

Whilst on the subject of Singapore's small size and Hong Kong's dependence on China as its hinterland, an interesting article just appeared:

The Straits Times
    June 29 2009

By John Lee

RECENT conversations with Chinese political scientists brought home the extent to which Beijing is obsessed with watching, analysing and replicating the success of Singapore. After all, despite a mediocre global ranking for political freedom, Singapore is confident, prosperous and orderly. Meritocracy is highly valued, its people generally contented and society, vibrant.

Most appealing of all, as far as Beijing is concerned, are the approval ratings for Singaporean leaders, which would make many democratic leaders envious. If there is an "Asian way" of enlightened authoritarian leadership, then Singapore is by far its best example. Unfortunately, the vision is seductive but out of reach for Beijing. It was never realistic and, if anything, China is moving rapidly away from the Singapore example.

Long before Singapore became a model for authoritarian leaders around the world, Harvard political scientist Samuel Huntington suggested that "authoritarian transition" could be a better way towards development for poorly industrialised countries (although he also argued that authoritarian systems ought to give way eventually to democratic ones".

After all, Europe did not gain universal suffrage until it had industralised. The per capita income in China is still one tenth that of Americ's. Over 700 million people still live on less than US$2 (S$2.90) a day. Democracy under these circumstances may actually bring regression and chaos rather than greater prosperity and a better life for the many.

Singapore is a pioneer in this regard. Few gave the tiny island much of a chance of success when it became a self-governing state in 1959, joined the Federation of Malaysia in 1963, and left it in acrimonious circumstances two years later.

Yet, in addition to outstanding leadership, Singapore had two advantages which China does not enjoy: the advantage of size or more precisely the lack of it, and pre-existing institutions that were protected and improved upon.

Size matters

When it comes to policy implementation, size matters. Singapore is a country of roughly 4.5 million people. China, in contrast, has 1.3 billion people. There are 45 million officials in China and only 2 per cent belong to the central authorities. No matter how enlightened Beijing's leaders are, they are reliant on around 44 million unsupervised, poorly trained and often corrupt local officials to execute and implement.

This brings us to China's second major limitation. Policy implementation would be much more effective if the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) built better institutions. China needs a strong civil society where there is rule of law. Courts need to be independent and officials, accountable. Private property has to be protected, individual enterprise given a chance to succeed, basic human rights enforced and the government, restrained.

Singapore has these virtues. The People's Action Party (PAP) in Singapore was ruthless against political dissidents, but it either left existing British institutions in place or built better civil ones where needed. The father of modern Singapore, Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew, was after all a Cambridge-trained lawyer who understood the intimate relationship between good laws and their enforcement, and strong civil societies.

Weak institutions

In contrast, these in China are weak. Deteriorating institutions have actually coincided with the increased role of the CCP in Chinese economy and society after the Tiananmen protests in 1989. For example, the number of officials before and after the protests more than doubled — from 20 million to 45 million.

Since the early 1990s, the CCP has retaken control of the economy. State-controlled enterprises receive over three quarters of the country's entire capital each year, reversing the situation prior to 1989. The private sector is denied formal capital (that is, bank loans) and access to the most lucrative markets, which is reserved for the state-controlled sector.

Only around 50 of the 1,400 listed companies on the Shanghai Stock Exchange are genuinely private. Fewer than 100 of the 1,000 richest people in China are not linked to the CCP. This state-corporatist model favours a relatively small number of well-placed insiders. Meanwhile, a billion people are largely missing out on the fruits of GDP growth. In fact, 400 million people have seen their net incomes decline over the past decade. Absolute poverty has doubled since 2000.

This extensive role of the CCP has coincided with a rise in systemic corruption. The party, after all, dispenses the most valued economic and professional opportunities in Chinese society. Courts at all levels are still explicitly under the control of party organs.

According to Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) studies, stealing from the public purse by officials amounts to around 2 per cent of gross domestic product each year and the figure is rising. A 2003 CASS report noted that over 40 million households have had their lands illegally seized by corrupt and unaccountable local officials.

Levels of dissatisfaction, especially with the local authorities, are so high that there were 87,000 instances of mass unrest in 2005, according to official figures, rising from a few thousand in the mid-1990s. To appease unhappy citizens, Beijing has instituted a system of "petitions" whereby aggrieved citizens can appeal to a higher authority against their local officials. A good idea, except for the fact that of every 10,000 petitions lodged, only three are heard.

Cut the excuses

Yes, it's true that China is still developing. But that excuse is wearing a bit thin. Reforms began in 1979. Since then, China's economy has doubled every 10 years. The middle class is approaching 100 million to 200 million people, depending on the definition. The building of institutions should be speeding ahead. Instead, since the Tiananmen protests in 1989, institutional building in China has, in many respects, gone backwards.

Peer behind the showcases of Shanghai or Shenzhen, and China looks nothing like Singapore. For a more accurate comparison, look at the crumbling civil societies in Russia or Brazil.

The writer is a foreign policy fellow at the Centre for Independent Studies in Sydney and a visiting fellow at the Hudson Institute in Washington. The revised second edition of his book, Will China Fail?, was released on June 27.
    "

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank goodness that you are human and may not be always right in your assessment and thinking! :D

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ASIAN YOUTH GAMES, Singapore 2009

I was there at the same Singapore Indoor Stadium that showcased the Aviva Singapore Open Super Series about two weeks ago. But yesterday I witnessed something quite different - the spectacular opening ceremony of the AYG put up and performed by mainly primary and secondary school students with the help of their teachers. They symbolise the vibrancy and vitality of Asian youth - our hope for the future. :)

The following account must be written by a student who was among the many who volunteered to help in the various functions and events at the AYG in preparation for next year's more demanding Youth Olympics, also hosted by Singapore.

By Shaiful Rizal

"More than 6,200 spectators were treated to a visual spectacle which showcased the exuberance of youth and multi-cultural diversity of Asia during the 1st Asian Youth Games (AYG) Singapore 2009 Opening Ceremony on 29th June 2009.

The Opening Ceremony show segment was a sight to behold with three exciting mass displays titled "Garden in the City", "Asia's Zest" and "Spirit of Evolution" unfold at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

400 eager young performers from Singapore's primary schools burst into the stadium and grooved in synchrony to a medley of songs sung in different Asian languages. They were decked out in colourful costumes and props depicting Singapore's national flower, Vanda Miss Joaquim, to welcome Asia's youth to the "Garden in the City".

The highlight of the show came after a dramatic dimming of lights where all eyes were focused on two dancers as they descended from the skies, suspended on a platform 17 metres off the ground. It was a breathtaking display as the graceful shimmering dancers illuminated the darkness.

This was followed by a glitter of red and gold which marked the beginning of "Spirit of Evolution", a highly energetic performance which featured modern dancers with innovative props symbolising how the youths embrace changes and shine amidst challenges.

Singapore's Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Hsien Loong, was the Guest of Honour. Representatives from the Olympic Council of Asia and the Singapore National Olympic Council were also present to witness the memorable event.

In his speech during the Ceremonial Segment, Mr. Ng Ser Miang, Chairman of the Asian Youth Games Steering Committee, said: "The Asian Youth Games are being held in the true spirit of Olympism - with the value of excellence, friendship and respect."

These three values were embodied in the two-day Torch Relay event which began on June 28. Three torch bearers, comprising Singapore swimmer Tao Li, bowler Remy Ong and shooter Jasmine Ser then lit the cauldron with their torches, bringing the relay to an end.

Of course, the stars of the AYG were the athletes themselves. The crowd cheered and applauded as the contingent of 1,400 athletes participating in the AYG marched into the arena from the centrestage, backed by harmonious sounds from the Singapore Youth Orchestra.

"This is your time, this is your moment," said Mr. Ng to the youths of Asia.

Those were the same words from the official song, "Asia's Youth, Our Future", which resonated throughout the whole ceremony in different renditions. The songs were delivered by Amni Musfirah, Nathan Hartono and Lian Kim Selby.

Mr. Timothy Fok, Vice-President of the Olympic Council of Asia said: "I am confident that the inaugural Asian Youth Games in Singapore will add a new and bright chapter to the history of the Games and will be a benchmark for others to follow."

Let the Games begin.

Here are some pics of athletes and officials arriving in buses and being welcomed by our girl volunteers with placards. More pics during the ceremony will follow.

Attached Files:

18. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    [​IMG]

I really should visit Singapore more often... :p

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    AYG Opening Ceremony Programme

When I arrived at SIS's North Entrance I was simply attracted to Frasia our AYG mascot. So I had to buy one from the stall where I took the opportunity to pose with the lady who sold it to me. Wilfredlgf would similarly be moved to get one too if he were around with me since he seemed to like all of our Singapore girls at the bus welcoming station. :p

I did not get a good seat which was located high up in the right hand corner. But the colourful programme diverted my attention for it gave a good account of what was to come. The Singapore National Youth Orchestra led by conductor Lim Soon Lee, in their smart uniforms up on the brightly decorated stage, kept us occupied with beautiful music and in a short time, most of us were singing and clapping to the chorus tune of the Theme Song:

This is the time
    This is the moment
    We believe our dreams will come true
    Hand in hand
    We strive to our best

A recording disc of this Theme Song was included in the programme.

Again Mr Iskandar Ismail, Music Director, must be thanked for his compositions and arrangements to lead the proceedings in seamless, entertaining music.

The stage is now set for an evening of exhilarating performances of dance, song, action and movement which are suitably complemented by brilliant lighting, voices, noises and music. :)

(PS: After all the excitement and at the end of this memorable show, I discovered that I lost my zoom lens and I tried to search for it with the help of a young security officer but without avail. I duly made a report and actually lost all hope of ever getting it back. However, this morning I received a call from SIS Security that they have found my lens which I happily returned there to claim it. My baby is still with me now. :p)

Attached Files:

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Somehow some pics are missing ....

Attached Files: