question re string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by AlanY, Apr 14, 2010.

1. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Out of the 22 mains, all are tensioned to 25 lbs with exceptions of 2 are to 27 lbs by mistakes. Will that 2 lbs difference stay on until it breaks? If so, how? Just by friction! Or will they all balance up to 25lbs and a bit eventually, or instantly?

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the reason i asked the question is that i read some stringers put more tension on the first few mains, some more on the first few crosses etc. If they are going to balance out after a while, what's the point?

3. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

It'll just spread over the mains. Depends on the stringer also as there could be a loss of tension from slack on the knots. Anyway I don't think its a big problem if the stringing quality is there, and won't snap because I tried it before.

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

that's what i suspected that the tension should balance out between knots. If so, what's the point to have difference main/cross tension as some suggested for the 1 piece, 2 knots stringing?

5. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

I'm a bit confused to your first post, but generally speaking, the mains are longer distance than the crosses so they should be tensioned higher, 2 piece.
    However the crosses holds the mains and in a sense prevents it from moving, prolonging string life.
    For 1 piece, I generally use the same tension, sometimes slightly higher for the crosses but not by a huge difference. The outcome is the tension spreads out across the stringbed once it has settled.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you use constant pulling machine, and then the difference in tension will mostly be balanced out. However, if you use crank machine, then I assume the degree of "balance" will be less. :rolleyes:

7. Kiloo

Kiloo Regular Member

Engineer
    Which 2 are those? the 2 at the ends or a random 2. If it is at the ends Id say: "this is what I do always". It allows u to compensate the slack due to tying the knot.

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

sorry about the confusion, it was a hypothetical question. what i really wanted to know is will all the strings balanced out to have similar tension eventually.