Play badminton in HCMC VIETNAM

Discussion in 'Vietnam' started by tifam, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Will be in Ho Chi Minh for a short company trip in mid April. Just wondering how far are these badminton halls from New World Hotel (at District 1). Would like to get a workout and hopefully do some badminton shopping if time permits. :)

2. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Hcmc

Hi Bruce,
    The nearest to yr First World id the Cultural Center at Nguyen Tri minh. There are 2 places where u can play badminton too. That is at Marie Curie School and NO:1, Nguyen Van Cu. These 2 places are slightly further abit but not very far away. Ask the cab driver n he v be ablke to bring u there.
    Lee:D

3. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

Any club good in HCM? Going back in around 2 weeks .Btw.. IS there any club that has a ladder or something similiar. I am going back with my family, but no one plays. So will need to find a partner to play with or against..:)

#63 mtakako, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  5. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    HCM areas

Hi mtakako,
    There is a group of Malaysians and Singaporeans playing at Marie Curie School at District 1, near Diem Bien Phu side. You may walk in on Tuesday or Thursday about 2000hrs or you may go there on Sunday at 1800hrs to join them. This group speak English n hokkien dialect. Think you should not have any problem of communication. Suggest you contact Mr Awang or Mr Teoh. Enjoy yr games there;)Thanks to Permanis for his help in this too.:)
    Notnimdab729:D

#65 Notnimdab729, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will check those place out.

7. rdavout

rdavout New Member

Hi all!

I am desperately looking for an indoor badminton court in HCMC under the following criteria:
    - central location (Q1 or Q3 best)
    - courts systematically available in the evening during weekdays (through transparent booking or the such)
    - user-friendly for non-Vietnamese speakers.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

8. rdavout

rdavout New Member

Oh, I forgot to mention: I have a playing partner, so I really just need a court, not an active community...

Cheers

9. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Regarding your plight wanting to book a court, its a never ending story of not enough badminton courts to go around in HCMC.This is not Singapore or HK where the first come first serve booking of community sport centres courts are strictly enforced. Most courts in HCMC are booked out permanently to organisations, corporations or unis/colleges/schools as well as for coaching purposes. My suggestion for you is either join a badminton club in town or if not, move to live in D7 (or thereabout) where the gigantic apartment complexes have in house badminton facilities for residents use.Then you can play to your heart's content without having to worry about even booking a badminton court (tranparent or otherwise).

Cheers

Permanis

10. rdavout

rdavout New Member

Wow! I expected this to be the case, though I was hoping a hotel or two would offer indoor courts in the city centre. I miss Singapore so much...

Thanks for the confirmation all the same :-/

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Cheapest place to play would be in my place..Students,about USD 0.85 per hour,or 6 rmb.Outsiders,USD1.15USD,or 8rmb.Guangxi shifan daxue,guilin.;) With only 9 courts.:p..Rubber.

12. dalelee

dalelee Regular Member

Hi,I want to find a group to play badminton at the weekend,can anyone introduce me?
    I am in D3 of HCM.Hope have some groups that can accept foreigner.
    I have confidence that my level is not too low.
    thank you!

13. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Hi...You can join in with the 10-2pm group playing at Hotel Ky Hoa just off of 3 Thang 2 street...Ask for Tien...they play Sat. and Sunday there....you might also contact www.caulong.com and ask Cornchip where to play....T-19 court on Sat and Sunday 12-4pm and also at nite...some very strong players here...:Dyou can call me if you need help....0903750496...

14. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hello Dalelee,

I have seen some foreign players (Indians and Europeans) playing badminton at the Cercle sports club along Nguyen Thi Minh Khai ( the huge club with all the tennis courts opposite the sports shops) on Sundays from 4-6pm.

Just go to the badminton hall in the club and you can see these players playing badminton in the two wooden courts. Their standard are average (not beginner level).

See if their playing standard is to your level and if so, ask the organiser if you can join them. Otherwise you may have to look for another place to play. No point playing with too low/too high a standard from yours.

Otherwise you can go to Le Van Tam park and there are many people playing there. All sorts of standards are found there. Make sure you can make yourself understood in Vietnamese as I don't see any foreigners playing there.It starts around 6.00am and finish around 7.30am and its in the open air.

Good luck

Permanis

15. dalelee

dalelee Regular Member

Hi,Dream Hai.
    Thank you for your information.
    Last Sunday I went to the Hotel Ky Hoa. I found the court and someone play there, I ask for Tien. They told me to wait, but untill 11am, Mr.Tien's group didn't appear. So last sunday I have no place to play, that is really bad.
    And the website can not open, can you provide more infomation.
    Thank you very much!

16. dalelee

dalelee Regular Member

Hi,Permanis.
    Thank you for your information.
    So if I want to play at the Cercle sports club, need I register first?
    Do you have the contact number of the organizer?
    Thank you!

17. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Go to the T-19 courts....go past the Hotel Ky Hoa and turn right at the big shopping center...the street to the left is Ng Tri Phung and to the right is different name, I forgot its name but it is continuation of Nguyen Tri Phung...Go to the Hyundi dealer showroom on the left side of the street and turn into the small street beside it....you will see a sign saying San Cau Long....Ask for Phi or her nick name is Cornchip...

18. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Dalelee,

I don't have the contact number of the organiser, sorry. I suppose if you turn up for the first time and play, you don't need to register. But once you become a permanent feature, the normal procedure is for the organiser to record your name and address and you pay a monthly fee. (you may even be booted out if you don't pay).That means you can play with the grouop booking the court regularly.
    If you are don't want to be committed, then see if the group will accept user pay concept ( you pay as you play).I know that's not as popular and convenient.They will ask you to book your own court and play by your self.

So.... it's best you turn up at Cercle Sports like an ordinary person. Sit quietly at the back and quietly observe/assess the standard of play of these players. As I told you the standard is pretty average with three or four sharper players. So if the standard is alright,and then introduce yourself.In the court there is a veteran ( in the sixties) player wearing red yonex shoes.Perhaps you should approach him as age is such a respecful thing in Vietnam.

I did not ask if you might be a lady player. This is because there are ladies the next court and they seems to be always short of players.

Good luck

Permanis

19. dalelee

dalelee Regular Member

Hi, Dream Hai. thank you for your information.
    I successfully went to the T-19 courts today, played with the group of Phi.
    Their group really very strong! I think there should be some guys have the training experiences. I feel like nice to play with them.
    Thank you!

20. aZn_Popcorn

aZn_Popcorn Regular Member

I'll be going to Vietnam in August and will be wanting to get some games in. Hopefully I can meet up with some of you guys and you can show me where to play :)

My Viet is not soo good lol, soo hopefully you can speak English :)