Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    One just don't get too many chances to be no 1 in the world in any sport, feel a little sad for SN at not being able to do it because she must had putting a lot of effort prior to getting into this position. Hope more chances awaiting her. Imagine what would happen to the sport of badminton in India if one of the current player ascends to world no 1. Every badminton player in this world will benefit if this happens. I am waiting.

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Ofcourse, whether she is in world no. 1 position or not, she has done so much to the indian badminton...;). She is a real fighter. Though her fitness and current out of form makes her difficult to achieve that position, she will come back and do it sometime later.. :)

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Let wait together for the rise of SN.

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This year is really a bad year for Saina Nehwal. Having appeared in many semifinals and quaters, she may be really upset of her poor form. Nowadays, she really looked more tired and energyless on court. More or less like a lifeless body.. No enthusiasm like before . Even P.C.Thulasi fought very well against Linda than Saina. This clearly indicates that saina is in huge pressure which completely concealed her strengths . Will she able to regain her real form or going to get a sabbaticle from badminton for some time and come back with a bang?? I don't think she will be able to defend even Denmark Open title also..

5. dieter_spath

dieter_spath Regular Member

Wrong tactics in the game 1 against Linda. Though the drift on the court against Linda in the game 1, but Saina used too much her power without any patience.
    I once heard of that Saina only plays with MS player in training. It's good for one side for strength, but when she faces up to with some WS player with very good deceptive shots, like players from Indonesia or some from China, it would be in trouble sometimes. Their style has nothing to be like MS players but with many many punch clears and deceptive shots. One needs a lot of patience to manoeuver the opponent before to kill.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina Nehwal to felicitate frisbee competition winners[/h]
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...wal-to-felicitate-frisbee-competition-winners

EXCERPTS:

[​IMG]Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal will felicitate the winning teams of frisbee at the Usha Bangalore Ultimate Open which will be held at the Aditya Sports Complex here from July 12-14.

Ultimate, a game played using a frisbee, will witness participation of over 25 teams from across the country. The teams will initially be divided into groups and the top eight teams will battle it out for the title.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is that recent picture? Looks quite thin there.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Recent picture ?? No way... She is atleast >10 kgs now :(...

It seems like there is a standard picture of her in their (media) database which is used whenever it is needed...:rolleyes:

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Saina Nehwal vows to bounce back at Badminton World Championship

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...nt-of-a-strong-comeback-at-world-championship

EXCERPTS:

The Olympic bronze medallist was also excited about the Indian Badminton League, starting from August 14-31. In the last three tournaments -- Thailand Open, Indonesia Open and Singapore Open -- Saina had failed to go beyond the semifinals, but it doesn't seem to concern her much as she believes she can still win titles.

Noida: [​IMG]

A nine-month title drought notwithstanding, Saina Nehwal on Friday vowed to bounce back strongly at next month's world championship and said the much-needed six-week break after the Southeast Asian circuit will give her ample time to regain fitness and help her to win titles once again.

The world number three has been going through a lean patch for the last nine months as she has failed to win a single tournament.

In the last three tournaments -- Thailand Open, Indonesia Open and Singapore Open -- Saina had failed to go beyond the semifinals, but it doesn't seem to concern her much as she believes she can still win titles.

"It doesn't concern me that much because I know if I'm at my best I can win again. I was not happy with what was happening with me. Some small injuries can irritate you. You can't be at your best when you are injured. When you are tapping your knee. There were doubts in my mind," Saina told reporters on the sidelines of the launch of IBL's school program initiative -- shuttle express here.

"These were doubts like if I can train, if I can give 100 per cent. So good that I'm taking physiotherapy now. I'm taking good note and not thinking about what happened and giving my best again.

"I actually played just for a week before the three tournaments. Still I reached semis and quarters, and I also could not believe that I can play at this level, I can compete against these top players without even training. I was not fit enough.

"I got this six weeks break after a long time. I was not happy with my fitness. I needed that break but when I got that break (after India Open) my toe got fractured. At the starting of the year, I also had a knee injury but now I am okay and hopefully should come up with good performance in the World championship," she added.

The Olympic bronze medallist was also excited about the Indian Badminton League, starting from August 14-31.

"This is a great initiative by IBL to promote the sport. Everyone was playing well today. It's good to see interest growing in badminton, even in school there is improvement. We wanted these things to happen. I can see sporting facilities here, these things should happen in all school across India," said Saina, who gave lessons to the badminton enthusiasts during a clinic organised at Genesis Global school here.

Saina felt IBL will give a good platform for senior and junior players to showcase their talent.

"Performance was always there but badminton needed that popularity. We now have IBL. This is what we wanted. Badminton needed that sort of support. It is a nice platform for both juniors and seniors, who don't get to play many international events. It will give good exposure. It will help them to play more international events with the money," she said.

"IBL is a good start. You may not have players in first edition but might get 20 in the second editions. Now that they will be getting training and coaching, so I feel we will have many players coming up.

"I played India Open and Commonwealth Games in Delhi and people came to watch. IBL will be like Sudirman Cup, a team event, and it would be more entertaining. People will be excited and surely watch," she added.

Asked about the importance of big names in IBL franchises, Saina said: "Big names are important. People in India may not know who is Li Xuerui and Wang Yihan. If they play here, may be they will be popular in India. It happened in cricket as in IPL many players played and became popular in India, but in India not many people know badminton players."

Talking about China showing lack of interest in the IBL, Saina said: "Chinese need to be more open. It is such a big league. The prize money is double the amount one gets in super series. Of course, China also have some domestic tournaments but they need to be open. If Lin Dan or Yihan Wang come and play here, badminton will only become more popular.

"Now, that they know that India too have a league, they should come. I hope they come. But there are other players from Chinese Taipei, Thailand, etc who are coming."

The Commonwealth Games Champion stressed on the importance of having more academies and better facilities in India.

"We have one academy and one coach at that level. The infrastructure is important. We have the stadia but don't have coaches, players. In the academy we have 2-3 physios but not anywhere else. Things are changing now and kids want to become athletes. Though everyone wants to become cricketers, other sports are also being keenly followed," she said.

"In Asian countries every city has got hundreds of academies and thousands players play in cities. Every coach is either an Olympic champion or World champion. Yes, we are behind but the process has started. If such improvement happens in India then we will have more players and medals in badminton. There is a gap but like I showed it is possible, new players will also prove that in times to come."

Talking about the emerging talents of India, Saina said: "A lot of players are performing very good. It shows that they have got believe and confidence to play at the highest level. K Srikanth won in Thailand, Sindhu won in Malaysia. There are also five or six more players who are talented."

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina Nehwal launches Shuttle Express in Delhi NCR[/h]
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/07/12/saina-nehwal-launches-shuttle-express-in-delhi-ncr/

EXCERPTS:

BadmintonIndian Badminton League

Jul 12 2013 News

[h=1]Saina Nehwal launches Shuttle Express in Delhi NCR[/h]

[​IMG]

Mumbai, July 12, 2013:
    India’s Olympic medalist and IBL Icon Player Saina Nehwal launched the Indian Badminton League’s School Programme initiative – ‘Shuttle Express’ here today at the Genesis Global School, Noida.

The IBL is an initiative of the Badminton Association of India with Sporty Solutionz as the Commercial Partner. Genesis Global School is the IBL School Partner for the Delhi NCR leg and the school championship in the city is being held under the aegis of the Delhi Capital Badminton Association on July 13-14. An unprecedented number of students from 35 schools in the Delhi NCR will be vying for the titles in both the boys and girls singles categories in the city leg. The city winners will play the All-India Finals during the forthcoming IBL in August.

Speaking during the briefing, Olympic medalist and ‘Indian Shuttle Queen’ Saina Nehwal, said, “This is a great initiative by IBL to promote the game amongst youngsters and take the sport to the next level. Badminton is one of the most loved sports today and it’s important that children get the opportunity and platform to excel.”

Speaking on the occasion, Mr. Ashish Chadha, CEO, Sporty Solutionz, said, “The reason behind launching the Shuttle Express is to boost the young talent at grass root level. The overwhelming response from the schools and children gives us the confidence that Shuttle Express will give India its next champion shuttler. We take this opportunity to thank our IBL School Partner for Delhi leg Genesis Global School for their support for this initiative”.

Speaking on Shuttle Express, Badminton Association of India President & MP, Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta, said, “It gives us immense joy and pride to introduce the IBL School Programme initiative – Shuttle Express, to lakhs of students across the country. We hope the effort taken by our badminton icons and stars to visit schools in six cities will inspire many youngsters to take up the sport.”

Speaking on Shuttle Express Mr. Gurbir Singh, Director – Sports & Estate, Genesis Global School said, “We are thrilled to be associated with this sports initiative by BAI and Sporty Solutionz. Genesis Global School has always promoted sports amongst its students and we are immensely proud to host the launch of the Shuttle Express in our campus with Saina Nehwal, and hope her presence will fire the imagination of our students and inspire them to achieve glory and excellence.”

With the launch in Delhi today, the Shuttle Express is all set to roll in Mumbai on July 15, followed by Hyderabad on July 16, Pune fromJuly 17, Lucknow on July 19 and finally in Bangalore. Each city will witness matches being played over two days and the National finals will be held in Mumbai which will be beamed LIVE on TV from August 28-31, 2013, as part of theIBL. The Shuttle Express will offer an incentive of Rs 10 lakh in prize money to the National winners in both the boys and girls singles events. The finalists in both the categories will also be given an opportunity to train at the world-class Pullela Gopichand Academy.

Shuttle Express is being held in partnership with six schools in the six franchise cities as “IBL School Partners” – Genesis Global School, Expressway (Delhi NCR), Indus World School (Hyderabad), La Martiniere Boys (Lucknow), Jamnabai Narsee, Vile Parle (Mumbai), Symbiosis Primary & Secondary School (Pune) and Jain International School (Bangalore). Badminton icons like Olympic medalist Saina Nehwal, former All-England champion Pullela Gopichand, CWG doubles gold medalist Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa, India Grand Prix winner Parupalli Kashyap and Malaysian Grand Prix champion PV Sindhu will visit schools to encourage the participants in all 6 cities.

The path-breaking IBL will be held in six cities from August 14-31. The richest badminton league in the world will feature almost all the top-50 players in the world and will be played under the Sudirman Cup format and televised LIVE to more than 100 countries.

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina Nehwal: I Don’t Know What is Enjoyment[/h]
    http://idiva.com/news-entertainment/saina-nehwal-i-dont-know-what-is-enjoyment/22873

EXCERPTS:

[​IMG]
    Image courtesy: Taras Taraporvala

At the India Open two months ago, the audience watched with rapt attention and cheered for the players, regardless of their nationality. And for the first time, they stuck on long after the 23-year-old Indian, Saina Nehwal, was ousted from the series. The fact that there weren’t any Indian players competing didn’t seem to stop the spectators from packing in a full house. After thinning crowds for the last two years, people are finally warming up to badminton. And yes, Saina Nehwal’s victories have something to do with this.

It’s impossible to talk about Nehwal without mentioning the effect she has had on the country’s perception towards badminton. The ace shuttler’s overwhelming appeal has leveraged the popularity of the game. Nehwal wasn’t an overnight success; she quietly went from being mentioned in the side columns of the sports pages to hogging the headlines. She has achieved a lot of firsts for India — the first woman to win the Indonesian Open Series in 2009. Then came her win at the 2010 Commonwealth Games (another first for the country) and finally the bronze she scored at the 2012 London Olympics.

Born in Hisar, Haryana, Nehwal started playing badminton at nine when her family moved to Hyderabad. It was her first summer in a new town with no friends, so her parents signed her up for karate lessons as well. After scoring a brown belt, she moved to rule the badminton court. By the end of that summer, the coaches at the vigorous badminton camp saw a spark in the young player, and prodded her to continue training. Soon her parents had scheduled their lives around Nehwal’s training sessions, often waking up at 4 am to reach the stadium, located an hour-long bus ride away.

Nehwal’s road to titles can be credited to her mother, Usha Nehwal, who used to be a state-level badminton player. “She was more interested in the sport. She taught me a lot of things I didn’t know when I was younger,” admits Nehwal during our interview. “Even today when she watches my matches, she knows where I am weak and advises me.”

Her father dipped into his savings to fund her training and the expensive badminton kit. After Class 11, she made a “difficult decision” and gave up school to concentrate on the 2008 Olympics. Nehwal confesses she has never had a chance to regret her choices since then. She modestly accepts her fame and luck and says, “I got many things at the right time and that’s not very common with badminton players in India.”

With sponsors like Yonex and Deccan Chronicle stepping in to help, along with the support of Olympic Gold Quest, the rising star got the boost she needed to secure a top world ranking. And then, awards like the Padma Shri and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna followed, along with brand endorsements, and a BMW 3-series that was gifted to her by the Andhra Badminton Association.

During her early years, Nehwal was tagged as a precocious player. While she was still in the junior league, the 13-year-old was known to defeat players 10 years her senior. “I was always concentrating on working hard. I began to enjoy it when I started winning the titles and playing with the team at an international level. I never knew if I would reach this position. I was always thinking about performing well and winning that tournament.” For a champion like Nehwal, winning rates high. The reigning world number two player has always maintained that scoring a position on the podium has been one of her biggest motivations.

In her biography Saina Nehwal: An Inspirational Biography, the author and journalist TS Sudhir notes: “The seniors who have seen Saina grow as a player point to her self-belief and her refusal to accept defeat as two virtues that have contributed immensely to her success. It is almost as if you should necessarily get very, very upset if you lose a game you should have won or if you caved in without putting up a fight against a stronger opponent. In Saina’s case, the urge to ‘take revenge’ has always been part of her personality. In fact, when younger, ‘taking revenge’ also meant trying to defeat the same opponent with the same score.”

On court, Nehwal’s aggression and killer instinct take over. Her hair pushed back with colourful pins, she shuffles across the court playing each shot with a leonine energy. With multiple tournaments around the year, she barely spends two months at home that are also spent training.

She says, “I have only been playing for the last one-and-a-half years. It gets too difficult to get a break in this sport.” Nehwal wears her sweat and hard work like a mark of honour.

Her “I don’t really give up easily” attitude makes her a real trooper. In December 2010, she suffered a foot injury during the Hong Kong Super Series and this was followed by a bad run. But she’s not the kind to sit on the sidelines and sulk. She decided to bounce back in time to train for the Olympics. “I realised I needed to rest and give myself some time. How well you eat and rest helps you analyse your energy reserves,” she says.

She has always been a fan of tennis-star Roger Federer’s on-court calm and playing tactics, but she “never looked up to anyone in India. My mom had set a set a target for me, she wanted me to be an Olympic medallist and I was just going with that kind of momentum. I just wanted to be Saina Nehwal, Olympic medallist. That was my dream.”

But unknowingly, she has become a role model for badminton aficionados, and that comes with its own pressures. “I am comfortable in that position. I have to be prepared for all the challenges and want the young girls to be confident and to think that if I can do it, they can also achieve it.”

While Saina is busy creating a new benchmark for Indian women, she hasn’t spent much time off-court. But she has no regrets and doesn’t look at her life any differently. “I’m a normal girl,” she says. “I don’t go out much and I don’t know what is enjoyment. I play and I go to my room and think about my match.”

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Delighted to be in same team as Taufiq Hidayat: Saina

New Delhi, July 29, 2013
    http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other...am-as-taufiq-hidayat-saina/article4967024.ece

Excerpts:

London Games silver (sic) medallist and IBL Icon player Saina Nehwal is delighted to be part of the same team as former Olympic champion and her childhood hero Taufiq Hidayat.

The 23-year-old Nehwal, who is preparing for the upcoming World Championship in China next month, said, “He (Taufiq) is a role model and a driving force in the game. I’m really happy to be part of Hyderabad Hotshots team and I was thrilled once he was also included.”

...“Getting to train and play along with him is going to be brilliant. It will be the best part about playing the league,” the world No.3 women’s player said.

The Indian shuttle star further added, “Fans would love to watch him on courts. I know Taufik Sir since I joined the game. He is known for his wrist play, his back strokes are matchless and so nicely and accurately hit, and his net play and court coverage is unparalleled.

“I remember playing with him as a mixed double partner for an exhibition match in Syed Modi Memorial tournament in Lucknow in 2009. I have great memories of that match. I also have a smashing photograph with him, Prakash (Padukone) sir and Gopi (Pullela Gopichand) sir from an event held in Mumbai the same year.

“Now, our association for Hyderabad Hotshots will be for more than a fortnight.”

Commenting on the Indonesian’s famed charm and handsome looks, Saina, who has a hat-trick of Indonesia Open titles under her belt, said, “Taufiq sir is the king of badminton, handsome, talented and very humble. He is extremely energetic on the court and so charming that he makes badminton look easy and simple, though it’s not. It is the fastest game in the world and requires loads of energy to play. Taufiq sir is very simple and yet moody, if he is not interested in a game he will not play. I’m sure his presence will be a great morale booster to Hyderabad Hotshots.”

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Saina: Always nervous at the start of any event[/h]
    http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other...-at-the-start-of-any-event/article4978795.ece

EXCERPTS:

Saina Nehwal, India’s best medal hope in the World badminton championship to be held in Guangzhou in China from August 5, doesn’t attach much significance to the easy draw she has got in the meet.

“Regardless of the draw, I am always nervous at the start of any event. What matters is how well you perform on the given day.

“This has been my firm belief over the years. But you need a good start to get the momentum going,” said Saina.

“Moreover, at this level, anyone can spring a surprise. You can’t say this player is easy to face or that one is difficult. Reputations and rankings don’t matter once you are on the court,” the 23-year-old Saina told The Hindu before leaving for the World championship.

Best chance

“I do not see the coming World championships as the biggest challenge since I have won an Olympic medal and many Super Series tournaments. But yes, a special performance here does mean a lot for any player,” she said.

“And it cannot be presumed that this is the best chance for me to win the World title since there are so many factors involved.”

Asked about the pressure factor, she said: “It is the Chinese players who will feel the pressure since they will be playing at home. I don’t feel any extra pressure at the prospect of taking them on in front of their home crowds,” said Saina.

On the areas of focus during training, she said: “The main objective is to be a complete player with Gopi sir working in that direction. The World title is another dream I am chasing right now,” said Saina.

She also felt that this World Championship was not just about Saina as far as the Indian challenge was concerned.

“There are others like Sindhu, Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram who can spring surprises. This is what I believe is a major plus for Indian badminton as we have players with the ability to make a huge impact on their day,” she said.

Chief national coach P. Gopi Chand too felt that it was always important to take it match by match in any tournament.

“You have to improve with each match and in quick time to be a winner.

“Fortunately, Saina has this amazing characteristic and that is why I am optimistic of a good performance this time around.

I am also pleased that the focus will be on other Indians too like Sindhu, Kashyap and Jayaram. This makes the Indian contingent a force to reckon with,” said Gopi Chand.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Saina Nehwal during the Melbourne Commonwealth Games 2006

SN was very young at about 16 years' old when she first competed for India in the MCG.

I had seen her play impressively even at her young age in Singapore. And when I saw her again in Melbourne, it was a chance to take a photo with a "future star" as there were no physical barriers between the players and the spectators at the MEC courts..

She was part of the Indian team which won the bronze medal by defeating New Zealand.

Hope her winning ways will continue and here are some pictures of the victorious Indian team and Saina for scorpion1. :)

Attached Files:

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Somebody has posted these pictures already in this thread i think.Anyhow, thanks for your consideration Mr. Loh. :)

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You are welcome Mr S......

Well I've posted lots of pictures the last time, perhaps in the other "lost" thread. :D

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Any indian members can record this interview?:)
    [video=youtube;0JwuoeHF3Rc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JwuoeHF3Rc[/video]

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken it was Loh and Chris who had covered the 2006 CWG and posted the pics here on BC. Chris would remind you that he was one of the first to predict this girl would go on to become a world-class player. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    There is a small promo involving saina nehwal. Cool video. She is lazy off the court !!!
    Don't even have 100 Rs in her hand even though she is the highest paid badminton player in india. Seems interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnFpXk3d3aI

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    No wonder about saina's disappointment. Saina has got upset stomach . Here is the gopichand's tidbits about her condition.

"Saina was actually not well. She had an upset stomach. She got drained out. She was playing well in the first game but she got really drained, there was no energy left after the first game. I don't think it dented her confidence but physically she could not compete in the second game,"