2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Well, as far as the auction money...it is yearly salary and it will be give to you if you make yourself available....

and about the prize money IPL has a clause that at least 50% of the prize money should go to the players....and anything above that is upto the franchises...dunno about IBL...

And about dropping players, it's players wish and there is no getout clause from the side of clubs..:p....the only one who can terminate contracts are organizing committee...

And about the trading...a small correction...A franchise can put a player into trading window(when his contract of 2 years is not expired) only with the acceptance from the player and at that time
    --- if he was sold for lesser amount that his annual salary, the rest is payed by the selling franchise
    EG: IF LCW is sold for 100K then the rest 35K must be paid by MM
    --- and if he is sold for larger amount than his annual salary then the increase in amount will be shared by selling franchise and the player
    EG: IF LCW is sold for 150K the increase i.e, 15K is shared between LCW and MM..(small mistake by terranova here I think)

2. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    IBL to have 4 more new teams starting next year

MUMBAI: The inaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL) has been a grand success with the organisers, players, commercial partners and the audience left thirsting for more in the next season. Four more new franchises and more global shuttling stars are likely additions to the excitement in IBL 2.

The Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Akhilesh Das Gupta is promising an even bigger spectacle next year. "When we thought of doing something like this we were looking at two models. One like IPL in cricket where the board puts in all the money and runs the show and two, which we went for, was outsourcing of the event. We didn't have much money so in a way didn't have many options, but in the end it turned out to be good because we had visualized badminton as a sport with mass appeal and a sport that provides entertainment value. IBL has delivered that in the best possible manner," said Das Gupta soon after the final on Saturday.

More importantly, the BAI chief revealed to TOI that an offer of Rs 20 crore(me:minimum is 3.5 crore but we don't know how much the current franchises are paying to the organisers) to buy a new franchise for the next year has been made from Kolkata. "We shall have four more teams and to see the valuation go up is a great sign," he said.

Initially, the IBL was valued at around Rs 50 crores but the commercial partners are claiming the value to be double the amount. "We are more than delighted. The ticket sales itself have fetched us Rs 2.5 crores($400,000)," said Ashish Chadha, CEO, Sporty Solutionz, the promoters of the IBL.

The biggest endorsement though came from ace shuttler Saina Nehwal herself who said, "You can say that big-time badminton has arrived in India. We have all the top players in the world playing here and we shall have more coming in the next year. For the Indian players, in particular, it has never been so good. The crowds at all venues have been awesome."

"It is great that the IBL became a big hit in its first year itself," said India's national coach Pullela Gopichand. "The players loved it, so did the crowds in all the six cities it was played in."

On the other hand ace shuttler Saina Nehwal, who had an an unbeaten run that helped Hyderabad Hotshots lift the inaugural IBL title, said she expects the $1 million event to become as big as cricket's IPL in the coming years.

"Nobody expected it would be so successful because everyone was comparing it with the IPL, which is actually not right at this point of time... and we are trying to make it big but the first year things won't be easy. I am sure in the coming years, it will catch up with the IPL," she said. The BAI also has to thank the IBL council vice-chairman president of the Maharashtra Badminton Association (MBA) Pradeep Gandhe for initiating the league. The entire format of the IBL including the frachise-module was charted by Gandhe in early 2011.

It worked well for the Maharashtra Badminton Association and later it was adopted by the BAI in December 2011.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ith-IPL-Saina-Nehwal/articleshow/22216790.cms

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Extra teams more players sounds great, but I will believe it when i see it, not gonna get burned by all this stuff again for the next one:D

This is my favourite statement
    "We have all the top players in the world playing here and we shall have more coming in the next year."

I love this. Even if it was true, how can you have them all but yet more is coming
    :D all in the same sentence.
    Anyway congratulations to it's success!

4. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    I remember he lost to TTT/TBH and also Goh/Lim.

TTT/TBH won all the matches

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Lin Dan will not retire soon. He even tries to play until next Olympics. The problem for him is that he has been kicked out of the national team by team manager LYB.

So Lin Dan will not be able to play international tournaments, but he will still play inside China. If there's a chance for him to play, like BWF granted him WC position, he would like to play too.

For Lin Dan, he would probably not play in IBL, the reason is not because of the money. But of course, he would definitely not go if his salary is not the highest.

Lin Dan, now he's income is in tens of millions of dollars, probably higher than any other badminton players currently or in history. His money is not from the prize of the tournaments or the league salary, hie income is from commercial ads. So for him, number 1 image is the most important. That's the reason he wanted to win in the WC.

Even LD's ranking is much lower than Taufik, but you cannot get LD to play just luring him with $15,000 with 20% tax cut and 10% devaluation. If there's anything which could damage his image, he will definitely not do that to protect his commercial image value.

The only possibility for him to play is something which could glorify him more.

I think it's very possible. First, the timing is important, now LD is fighting for his consecutive 4th national championship. IBL has to find the timing which LD's free. Since LD will not play for the national team, he has plenty of time. He doesn't need LYB's permission to go to India

But make sure his image will not be damaged in the IBL. He is not another Taufik.

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

anyone can help me to know how much JOJ got paid for his playing at IBL? who paid the travelling expenses and hotel ?

How much Sapsiree Taerattanachai got paid? what about Hu Yun? They were terminated early.

How much Pia and JoJ got paid? they joined in the middle.

If paid not in full, but in proportional to number of games they played, then Sapsiree would not have enough money to cover her expenses.

7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    No idea about the payment given to these players but i am definitely sure that all the expenses relating to travel and stay etc are done by the franchisee.

They were terminated??? - what do you mean by this sentence. Can you please explain it..?? Their own commitments made them to withdraw from the league to fulfill those commitments. Not terminated by franchisee as you are mentioning about.

Hu Yun was injured. He was taken to hospital and taken MRI scan in his ankles(?) i guess which was swollen . He could not participate in the tournament further, that's why JOJ was taken from the reserve list as his ranking is lower than HuYun (the criteria needed for replacement in IBL).

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I have read somewhere that BAI is going to take action against Jwala gutta for her remarks in the twitter against Banga beats that krish Delhi smashers will walk-out if JOJ was brought in to play against them.

Now, her name was removed from Japan Open superseries 2013 and also show cause notice has been issued to Jwala and BAI wants reply from her and the action will be taken according to the reply.

I will publish the full link once it is published online. Because i read this in today's local newspaper.

Big mouths needed to be rewarded accordingly.

#1088 scorpion1, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  9. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

thanks for your info.

Terminated just means end of play, it could be any party's initiated action. In fact, we don't know exactly the reason.

From outcomes, Warriors replaced Sapsiree with Pia, then made up the best Mixed double in IBL. It's an obvious mistake to buy single player Sapsiree to play doubles.

By the way, Hu Yun now is actively playing at the China national games. No sign of injury at all.

Same thing happened to Wong Wing Ki too. IBL reported he's injured but in fact, Wong has be playing at China national games all the week. Winning quite a lot matches there.

10. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

By the way, Wong Wing Ki is a better player than Hu Yun now. Hu Yun is too old, 33 or 34, much older than Taufik. In the team competition at China national games, Wong WK is the first MS for Hong Kong team, while HY is the 3rd MS for Hong Kong.

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Sapsiree is a very good doubles player.. You might have seen the BWF WD rankings of her. She is ranked 17 in WD and 15 in Singles. I think sapsiree had to participate thailand nationals. That's why she had to withdraw in the middle of the tournament.

If a player is injured, that does not mean he won't recover :).

Let WWK to play Chinese Nationals and enjoy the game. IBL would have reported what they have been said by the respective players or their association.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Definitely, i object this. Hu Yun is the better player according to me. I like Hu Yun's style and his dedication. Though you feel laziness in his game, he is absolutely wonderful.

Hu Yun is a tough nut to crack. But I can definitely say, most of the indians will beat WWK . In the world championships, WWK was beaten by Ajay jayaram who according to me is in out of form .

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Upset BAI to issue showcause notice to Jwala[/h]
    http://www.thehindu.com/sport/other...-showcause-notice-to-jwala/article5082863.ece

EXCERPTS:

“We are going to deal with that; she had intervened and stopped some of the players from playing one particular tie against Banga Beats,” S. Muralidharan, chairman of BAI’s disciplinary committee.

“So, the whole TV coverage was cut for half an hour. This is too much. Definitely, there will be some action against her.”

He said the act upset ESPN-Star Sports, which had the rights for the event.

“With great difficulty, we managed to get the (telecast) agreement and they (Star Sports) threatened us that they were not going to cover anything more…it had come to that stage.

“It’s good that nothing untoward happened.”

Regarding action against Jwala, he said, “First, we will issue a showcause (notice) and based on her reply, action will be taken.”

It is also learnt that the BAI has withdrawn Jwala from the Indian team which will play in the Japan Open Super Series event in Tokyo from September 17.

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Here you go..

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...n-tie-against-banga-beats-113082500512_1.html

EXCERPTS:

Banga Beats owner Amit Mavi later confirmed that the visitors almost threatened to pull out.

"Hu Yun had not been well for a few days and only today at 4 p.m. was he diagnosed with an abdominal swelling for which we had to bring in the last minute change. We gave the details of the MRI scans to the IBL governing council who approved the change but then I heard that Delhi players were tweeting about this change," Mavi told IANS.

That's not ankle swelling, am sorry. That was abdominal swelling.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What the?? Where did you get that from? the last that I heard was LD was going to sit down with LYB and plan what tournaments he can play to get back to a super series rank. And this has materialised because they are taking LD to play Dutch Open so he's not off the team.

16. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What is there another competition? the national games of China only started 2 days ago on 31st when IBL finished. Where was Wong Wing Ki playing that says he wasn't injured?? That was 4 weeks ago he said he could not come from injury, how as he been playing all the weeks at this Chinese national games tournament??

17. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    If its true, he should try his luck at bollywood.

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep...Few days back i have read the headlines "Lin Dan to lead chinese contingent to Dutch Open".

So No way like kicking out by the team manager and everything related to that........??????? .

19. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Sounds like you don't know the basic thing. Now Lin Dan and Li YB broke up. They are enemies now. The reason is the commercial income. Li YB used to control the whole team for commercial ads, then he distributed the money after that. Lin Dan, as the biggest value in commercial, of course disagreed. Then Li YB kicked out Lin Dan from the national team, that's the reason he didn't have much chance to compete in the international tournaments. Look at the following tournaments, LD is still not in the entry list.

20. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

I have posted in this thread already, why you didn't read my post

The national game started weeks earlier than its opening ceremony. Wong WK played this national games 2 weeks ago, he beat Huang Yu Xiang on August 19. Then he defeated a player from Hu Nan (cann't remember his name),...Please use google to search.