players in adelaide

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by aident, May 17, 2010.

1. dwcl83

dwcl83 Regular Member

In terms of general standard, Wednesday night ($3) > Monday/Thursday ($2) - theoretically at least because when it started, it was "selectively" advertised. Skill level ranges from State/A/B/C grade, although it's often unpredictable - every now and then a gun player will show up (Andy_S). Generally the higher standard games are on courts closest to the pay box side. Monday can get stupidly crowded, and there's quite a few who switch between Glenunga and Marryatville which runs at the same time.

The other group I'd check out is the Thursday one at St. Peter's College on Hackney Rd. Relatively pricier compared to some of the other groups who use feather, although still cheap by Melbourne standards.

2. apex00

apex00 Regular Member

Hi all,

I recently had a cousin move to Adelaide from Hong Kong and he wants to play badminton competitively on a team, or at a drop-in of some sort. He wanted to apply for the SA junior team but the complex was too far for him to go to. I saw the places to play at on the list above, but is there any recommended places for intermediate/advanced players?

Thanks

3. adonis

adonis Regular Member

DC Badminton Panda Power Australian Distributor, S
    I've been to SPOC, though not bad, I find them very snobish. Plus the organiser would not budge on charging the full year membership fee on me even though there was only about half a year left to go. What an ass.

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I haven't visited SPOC yet, but thought I might drop in some time and see what they're like. Do they have a "casual rate", or do you have to pay a membership fee on your first visit?

5. ikcud

ikcud Regular Member

student
    I heard it's quite expensive for a casual rate. But I've never been there myself.

6. alexh

alexh Regular Member

BTW, does anyone know which clubs are active during January? PAOC doesn't play until February. Ranges starts January 21st. Glenelg Monday nights start January 10th. Don't know if Glenelg are continuing their Sunday mornings. Any others?

7. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

think glenunga always opens.. mons,weds and thurs.. 7.30-10ish

8. itachi46

itachi46 Regular Member

is ingle farm open atm? also is it at the recreation centre or Ingle Farm Primary School because the badmintonsa.org site has 2 addresses :S

9. andy_s

andy_s Regular Member

Bill Payer
    There is a new group starting March 6th operating out of Lockleys currently but with an Eastern Suburbs location in negotiation as well.
    This group offers a coaching setup for those people who want to improve their game but cant find a squad to train with/a coach to learn from.

Squad time is 1-3pm @ Lockleys (42 Rutland Ave, Lockleys) with 3 coaches on hand but the squad size is limited so that all players get personal attention.

This group also offers individual or small group lessons by negotiation.
    PM if interested for further details.