New Eagnas Flex 940 + 1st String Job

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by HiddenPower, Oct 8, 2008.

1. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

Just received my Flex 940 and done my first ever stringing job! :)

It came in a big box. The box is pretty much still in good shape upon delivery. I did found a hole on the side of the box, which is caused by the rail in side, but it's no big deal. Everything is in the box, Eagnas was kind enough to exchange the 2 tennis clamp with 2 badminton clamp as I requested.

Setup was quick and easy by following their instructions. Most of the small parts like disk break and clamp bases were already assembled in the factory. What I did was just assemble the stand, added the tool tray, place the turntable and slide in the crack tension head.

The machine is in new condition, even though some rough spots and scratches can be found on the metal. It's no big deal to me because everything works.
    Also the tension seems to be accurate when tested with their calibrator.

What I like to point out (as I figured out later on), the 2.5mm Allen wrench provided doesn't fit the tension adjustment screw. I had to use another one of my own to adjust.

I finished my 1st stringing job in 2 hours. And I missed last cross at the top because of miscalculation (and the pizza). :rolleyes: It still works, I guess.

(Thanks to LB for providing the strings and helpful suggestions!)

Attached Files:

2. taumax

taumax Regular Member

Engineer
    Good job! Any thoughts about the machine? Are you happy with your purchase? Pros/cons? How much did you pay ?

3. HiddenPower

The machine is well built. It cost $415 + shipping. I ordered through Eagnas' Web Site. For an up-right machine, this price can't be beat. The 6-point support system works great, no tight down required.

I'm happy about my purchase so far. The only thing I need is a digital fish scale, so I can calibrate it more accurately. Eagnas' tension calibrator is designed for tennis.

4. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Are the weighing scales in the 2nd last picture for checking to see if you lost weight during the stringing process, remembering my first attempt and the amount of sweat blood and tears I shed!!
    A good start - well done

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Great for the 1st shot, especially it only takes you 2 hours. Mine 1st took 4.5 hours. Did you pre-string it, or not? :rolleyes:

Btw, if you do 2 pieces (4 knots), and don't want to pre-string, main is 17 ft, and cross is about 16 ft. That's should be way good enough, if you work with 20+lbs.

Also, the owl appears too be too sharp. Klipper offers a better one. Or, it can be the pics fooling my eyes. :D

6. HiddenPower

:) My couldn't feel my left leg after standing there for couple hours non-stop....

7. HiddenPower

The owl is ok. I pre-strung the main on the first run because I didn't have a feeling for the length yet.

I finished my 2nd racquet last night, spent about 1.5 hour. The fixed-clamp really slowed me down even though they are very helpful. I also did a little pre-string for the cross after I finished the main.

The tension isn't correct. I strung the racquet at 18X20, but it fells like 24lb. Still waiting for my fish scale...

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Only 4.5 hrs? Pah! My first job took 2 DAYS - I stripped my only set of string and had to order another one:D. This is a very decent first crack. I see it's a two-piece - did you go top-down or bottom-up? Also, did you use a starting knot?

Your point about mis-calibrated tension heads is very well taken. They are ostensibly set up before they get shipped, but mine was at least 3 pounds out (under, in that case). I now have a digital fish scale and check tension every 10 rackets or so.

I used to pre-string but I never do now - weaving crosses through slack mains is just too annoying. Besides, you can use the "one-weave ahead" method if you don't pre-string:p.

(Btw, I also had to get my own Allen key for that little grub screw. If you use one that's too small and it strips the screw head you're in REAL trouble.)

I think stringing is a lot like driving - ten jobs down the line you won't even be thinking while you're stringing AND you'll be going faster.

9. HiddenPower

I did my cross bottom-up following the instructions from yonex.com. I think it's also safer this way.

I still haven't found the perfect Allen key for that adjustment screw yet. Thanks for the advice, I will keep looking.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If it helps, mine isn't an Allen key as such; it's one of those attachments that fits into the end of a screwdriver. We got a set of 20-odd, and these sets often give you sizes that normal Allen keys miss out. You can replace that bag of Allen keys with one of these sets, as I have.

11. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Congrats on your purchase and string job!!!

12. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

eagnas quality

hows the machine quality? pros/cons?

13. HiddenPower

For the price I paid, I'm satisfied with the quality. So far, I strung 4 racquets, the highest tension I stung was 26lb. No problem at all.

14. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

how are the fixed cone clamps vs spring clamps?

15. HiddenPower

I was worried about that before I get the machine. It turns out ok.
    I just measured the distance from the clamp teeth to the string bed, a little less than half inch.