Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by dubber, Feb 6, 2009.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe...as u all know...my english is weak...why ask me???hehe...sure ur english is better than mine....:D....

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

It's time to resurrect this thread yet again.

With the retirement of Lars Paaske after the World Championships 2010, Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen have now officially become DEN's no 1 pair and they have risen to become the World's no 1 pair as well. Last year, it was their most successful year in terms of titles, with the highs coming in winning 2 Super Series titles (Denmark and French), 1 GP Gold (Bitburger) and 1 Team title in the European Men's Championships. The lows will include losing very very tightly in the All-England and European Championships (Individual Event) to their team-mate Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen.

Overall, they lost a total of 9 times in 2010:
    2 to Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (Swiss SS SF, Thomas Cup Finals)
    2 to Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun (Korea SS QF, WC QF)
    2 to Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen (AE Final, European Championships Final)
    2 to Fang Chieh-Min/Lee Sheng-Mu (Singapore SS QF, China SS R16)
    1 to Chan Peng Soon/Lim Khim Wah (Japan SS R32)

They have started 2011 with a bang by winning the BWF World Super Series Finals and beating 4 of the 6 pairs ranked right below them (3 of them with straight-sets)! I watched the second-set of the Final yesterday and I was really impressed by the speed and attacking prowess displayed by the 2 Danish players. They were just so quick to kill any loose birds and the KOR pair was just simply overwhelmed!

One weakness that was apparent is that once they lost concentration, the opponents can take advantage and won a series of points. That was evident in the match against Fu/Cai third-set, when they were actually overtaken when holding such a comfortable lead at 11-6.

Nevertheless, this pair will certainly be DEN's main hope for the next few years and other pairs will certainly find it more difficult to beat Boe/Mogensen nowadays!

4. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    Boe Serial Delayer

mathias boe is a serial delayer... he has serious issues with this. it annoys most people on tour... esp the indonesians since they serve quick. i dont agree with serving quick to catch your opponent off guard but serial delaying is just as bad. he pretends to be ready then puts his hand up to say he's not when the guy is about to serve. see how pissed off cai yun was at the all england last year - he kicked his bag into the wall after the match. key observation is he doesnt do it against his team mates... paaske doesnt serve any slower than cy so it's a deliberate tactic to piss people off. i can see why people do it against wijaya since he's ridiculously fast but boe is defo the slowest on tour... doing it to all ure opponents is just not on.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Boe is definitely the weaker of the two.

Carsten is a class player as pointed out by Mag many years ago.

OK, so why does Boe have "forever" on his deltoid?:)

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you mean weaker as in smash power I agree otherwise not at all, maybe today but I just got back but certainly not in general ;). Although you could probably pair Mogensen up with anyone I think Boe is the x-factor ...

#26 demolidor, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  7. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Hi bros here : May I know what racket is Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen using now ?

8. Xtech

Xtech New Member

Mathias Boe is using the VT80 and Carsten Mogensen is using the VT70.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Boe is quite strong as in front court..

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Some old threads :)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...nas-new-partner-your-views?highlight=mogensen
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...nas-new-partner-your-views?highlight=mogensen

"My suggestion was to split up Mogensen/Boe and pair them with Lars/Jonas. That happened in a team match last night, which I watched.. Jonas/Carsten Mogensen played against Lars/Mathias Boe... Personally, I had thoght the combination should be the opposite if it was a permanent combination aiming to do well in international tournaments, but this was a team match, so the combinations were given..

And what do you all think the outcome was..?

I am sure most would think that Jonas/Carsten Mogensen would be the better double.. but they lost.. 15/12 15/2.. And the game was played at their home turf.. which brings me to the question to Jonas... What went wrong? It seamed that particularly Mathias Boe intervened frequently at net and was able to put you under pressure.. and it seemed that he was quite "pumped" about the occasion.. what was that.. was that rivalry between Mogensen and him or what.. ??? "

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...r-new-partners?p=316902&viewfull=1#post316902

"Potential is exactly the word I would use about Mathias Boe.. So far, it seems that it is a bit hard for him to find his role with Mogensen.. and I think it might be because they find it a difficult to each take the "right" role in the constallation.. they both try both to work.. and be creative.. but it seems to me that there is only room for one "creative" and a worker in a pairing.. or maybe that is a bit too simplistic.. but someone needs to be the controlling one.. Mathias with Jonas would make it obvious that Mathias should not be the one trying to be creative.. that he would have to accept the role as "working horse" (pardon the expression).. allowing Jonas to be in control.. And when Mathias just "works".. he is extremely consistent.. and fast.. but when he tries to be creative.. his consistency falls apart.. well.. compared to other world class players I should of course add.. so.. yes.. I do seriously think this could be an interesting combination.."

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ner-your-views?p=310758&viewfull=1#post310758

#30 demolidor, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

In rare company as we can see ...

Attached Files:

12. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Why do they start in 1970? Danes have also won the MD title in 1947 (Tage Madsen/Poul Holm), 1948 (Preben Dabelsteen/Børge Fredriksen), 1950 (Jørn Skaarup/Preben Dabelsteen), 1955 (Finn Kobberø/Jørgen Hammergaard Hansen), 1956 (Finn Kobberø/Jørgen Hammergaard Hansen), 1958 (Erland Kops/Poul Erik Nielsen), 1960 (Finn Kobberø/Poul Erik Nielsen), 1961 (Finn Kobberø/Jørgen Hammergaard Hansen), 1962 (Finn Kobberø/Jørgen Hammergaard Hansen), 1963 (Finn Kobberø/Jørgen Hammergaard Hansen), 1964 (Finn Kobberø/Jørgen Hammergaard Hansen), 1967 (Henning Borch/Erland Kops), 1968 (Henning Borch/Erland Kops), and 1969 (Henning Borch/Erland Kops).

Also, why did they use slashes for every pair except for Boe/Mogensen? :p

#32 Gicutzu, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

At first I though it might have had something to do with invite only in the past versus "open era" but I'm not sure when that started. I've seen that mentioned in AE history articles a few times, like for example "Lin Dan could have been the first player to win 5 AE titles in the open era"

But in another danish news paper the same list as above was published only it said "Danish All England winners since 1970" so I guess we should just assume that is the reason. They probably want to emphasize Boe/Mogensen are only the fifth danish pair to win it in 40 years! (well actually Boe/Mogensen are not on that other list yet and it only says that Denmark has won it five times since 1970 :p; so make that six as of yesterday and the fifth pair)

#33 demolidor, Mar 14, 2011
  14. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    According to the Jakarta Globe, when Rudy Hartono won his fifth AE title in 1972 the open era hadn't begun yet.

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yeah I had read that as well. Surprisingly hard to find that info on when the "open era" began :rolleyes: but I'm sure someone around here should now :D (for tennis it seems to be 1968)

#35 demolidor, Mar 14, 2011
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Another reason it may be due to the age of the reporter - probably born in 1970.:p

A 30 year old reporter might think 1970 and before was prehistoric.....:(

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Info on when the "open era" began

I consider the "open era" began when China was accepted/included to participate by the International Badminton Federation.

It was in 1982 (CMIIW).

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

If I'm not wrong the Open era started when the Olympics was opened to professionals, it was sometime in the past when Martina Natratilova reigned.She made a remark "amateur,shmateur" when the OIC denied pros to participate in the Olympics.
    The first badminton pro was either Frost or Misbun sometime in the 80s.

#38 Bbn, Mar 14, 2011
  19. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Seems to me it isn't strictly defined as it is in tennis.

The term Open era is classified in most sports as a "C" change in the make up of the sport. In tennis for example it was when Professionals & amatuers could play together. In some sports it is post war.

For badminton - not formally defined (Altough Chris maybe right in the context the commentator on MS was talking about).

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It could have sth to do with admitting badminton into the Olympics, the AE was always an amateur event until it was opened to

pros,then it was changed to the Yonex AE Open.

Gill Clark commented that if LD had won this edn of AE he would be the first in the AE Open era to win 5 titles , as it is he won 4 out of 8 finals

tying Frost's record.To LD it was sth worth pursuing.