How do you do deceptive shots?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hello3, Jul 4, 2011.

1. hello3

hello3 New Member

Before you judge me and tell me to learn to walk before i run, let me tell you about myself. My dad is a badminton coach and I have been playing badminton since I was 5. I learned how to do everything by age 15 and am now playing professional league. I am entering my first competition in August and was wondering if anyone could send me a video link on how to do some trickshots or describe it easily so that I may incorporate this in my singles matches. Thank you.

2. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Show one thing and do another! ;-)

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

so you are at that level, and yet you don't use any deception whatsoever ? That's quite hard to believe, do you use hold and hit at the net from time to time, or do you have no idea how to play deceptively whatsoever ?

4. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    I dont think is a good time to try out trick-shots in your first tournament especially it is so near to the date . You need plenty of practice before actually performing the shot on court.

Deceptive shots as LD rules mentioned , if you are playing in the professional league you should know how to perform this type of shot , otherwise how did you get that far ? anyway I will post the links below ;

Deceptive shots ,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z807arNCPHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O8AD-D1obQ&feature=related

also you can always play with the racket face .

Here is a good trickshot ..prob the only one that will actually ok to play in a match without disrespecting your opponent or make a fool out of yourself if you miss the shot .............(however I do not recommend any players to play trick shot during a tournament match)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMV0sv3XiBE

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You will win your tournament if you play high speed simple badminton. Get there early, and play simple shots, and do not miss. The only deceptive shot I would learn is the hold and flick at the net - but this is more a case of learning how to hit all your shots off the same preparation - not deception, just good technique.

If you want to learn a thing or two about deception, watch Pullela Gopichand in his All England Semi Final against Peter gade :) He is the most deceptive player I have ever seen.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

you play professional level and dont have a coach to ask these things? yeah... ok.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Chen Hong was also a very deceptive player, maybe watch his match against Taufik Hidayat in Asian Badminton Championships 2007
    ?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

#8 visor, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    LD rules: many players can be deceptive i.e. who choose to hit deceptive shots (most players do sometimes). However, I felt that Gopichand actually based his entire game around deception - rather than using it once in a while, he used it every single shot, including his clears. Madness! I will have a watch of that match you mentioned :) I haven't seen much of Chen Hong!

Its my feeling that in general there are two levels of deception - identical shot preparation (e.g. taufik hidayat when he plays overhead, you have no idea where the shuttle will go or if its a smash/drop/clear etc) and genuine deceptive strokes (the hold and hit and the false motions, amongst others). Most modern players use the first type most, not because they want to deceive, but because they want to stop their opponent from anticipating their next shot, taking time away from their opponents. The second type is used to make your opponent anticipate the WRONG shot, and then punish him - deliberately showing something other than what you are going to do - Gopichand took this idea to an extreme I have never seen in any other player - he messed with Gades head in that match! However, against the fastest players e.g. LCW, there is no point. They will be all over it MOST of the time - not necessarily every time, but he will win more points off it than you will.

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hai there hello 3,

Firstly, good luck in your upcoming tournament this August. Hope you will do well.

Let me give you my opinion about deceptive shot (...not trickshots:)) before i reply with the above post. You've mention earlier that you've now learned everything there are about badminton by the age of 15 and now you're playing in a professional league. As you've realized, it took you considerably some amount of dedicated time to grasp all the techniques in your shots and it's not a technique that can master in a short period of time.

Similarly, like any of your basic shots that you've learned, learning any deceptive shots there are in any coaching text book also requires a considerably some amount of dedicated time to learn, let alone to master it for a better used in any of your shots. To incorporate it into one's game play so it can be executed beautifully and naturally like any of your basic shots is something that can't be master in a short period of time. Indeed there are a lot of practical examples available through any video that you can observe and writings about deception that you can read, but even if you put all the facts about deception in the most sweetest and simplest writings, its the practical part that will require some dedicated time for you to contribute. Therefore, even by reading the simplest description about any deceptive shots there are or any video available alone is not sufficient.

No doubt, incorporating deceptive shots in one's game play will be one of the strategy that can be use to gain an advantage against your opponent however at this stage, if your applied techniques about deceptive is still poor, it's better to further sharpen your basic skills and improve whatever strength there are you have in your strokes. Executing a perfect and sound technique of any of your shots is more deadly than executing a poor deceptive shots.

11. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hai there hello 3,

Firstly, good luck in your upcoming tournament this August. Hope you will do well.

Let me give you my opinion about deceptive shot (...not trickshots:)) before i reply with the above post. You've mention earlier that you've now learned everything there are about badminton by the age of 15 and now you're playing in a professional league. As you've realized, it took you considerably some amount of dedicated time to grasp all the techniques in your shots and it's not a technique that can master in a short period of time.

Similarly, like any of your basic shots that you've learned, learning any deceptive shots there are in any coaching text book also requires a considerably some amount of dedicated time to learn, let alone to master it for a better used in any of your shots. To incorporate it into one's game play so it can be executed beautifully and naturally like any of your basic shots is something that can't be master in a short period of time. Indeed there are a lot of practical examples available through any video that you can observe and writings about deception that you can read, but even if you put all the facts about deception in the most sweetest and simplest writings, its the practical part that will require some dedicated time for you to contribute. Therefore, even by reading the simplest description about any deceptive shots there are or any video available alone is not sufficient.

No doubt, incorporating deceptive shots in one's game play will be one of the strategy that can be use to gain an advantage against your opponent however at this stage, if your applied techniques about deceptive is still poor, it's better to further sharpen your techniques and improve whatever strength there are you have in your strokes. Executing a perfect and sound technique of any of your shots while playing is more safer and deadly than executing a poor deceptive shots.

12. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    An easy one to learn is to pretend you're going to hit the bird, then not hit it.
    You'll lose the point, but it'll definitely surprise your opponent.

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Haha, Classic....:)

14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Some players can do this naturally! They don't even need to practice. Hard to believe, but true!

15. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Any way about getting good deception on the overheads. I know its all about doing the same action but some players are very good at this and others are easier to read. Any advice.

[h=1]All England 2001 MS SF 3/7 Peter Gade vs Pullela Gopichand on youtube is some match. His deception is brilliant!! Thanks Matthew.[/h]

16. hello3

hello3 New Member

Please do not assume such things. I am here to further my game play deceptively instead of being judged.

Thank you for all the people that posted constructive responses. I shall review them and try to incorporate them in my game play.

17. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    don't be so sure that his 10 years experience and his dad being a coach automatically makes him an amazing player.
    Lots of players with similar experience are intermediate at best. In fact, I know of a few beginner level players with close to 10 years experience. On the other end of the spectrum, I know of a few advanced players with only 2-3 years experience and no formal training.

18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am only judging you on what you have posted. I am not making false judgements. Anyway my response was constructive in my eyes.:)
    So here you tell us, that basically you can play every shot perfectly. Why don't you ask your dad if he is a coach ?
    My interpretation of "professional league" is a league where the best players (BAM back ups, and best state players as well as juniors) compete, so I would expect you to be of that standard.
    So you are that good, and gave never played in a competition before ? Hard to believe...
    Why on earth do you feel the need to learn trickshots just to play in a tournament ? I would only consider playing trickshots in a training match, never really in a competition unless I am 10+ points up. In a competition if you make a mess of your trickshot, then you look like an idiot infront of lots of people you dont know. And anyway you can't really describe a trickshot easily, it's better to "watch and learn"Obviously you didn't learn everything, if you can't play any deception, even 11 year olds here can play really effective deception that is capable of fooling really high standard people.My guess is that you aren't as good as you say are... Although I am happy to be proved wrong.:)
    Yeah I know, like I said there are 11y/o who play here, and they can beat tons of people at U17 and U19 even ! The time you have been playing doesn't reflect how good you are, quality not quantity !:)My guess is that he isn't as great as he makes out, I mean how can you play in a professional league and yet not play ANY deception.:eek:

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would imagine that many people here are making a judgement based on the phrase "professional league". As LD rules states, the use of this word means I am thinking of national and international standard players - these are the professionals.

However, perhaps you mean "official" league or something like that, some sort of competitive or club league?

I think if we cleared that up, then we would have a better understanding of the standard that you are at, and how to best advise you.

Hello 3:
    By the way, did you have a chance to watch that match I posted between Pullela Gopichand and Peter Gade in the All England Semi Finals in 2001? It really is a great match, well worth watching :D Pullela Gopichand is such a unique player! Very deceptive!

20. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wait. Question here. Trick shot is different from deceptive shot, right?
    I can do a little deceptive shot by doing the hold and hit technique. I think it's one of the things that seperate advanced players from intermediate players. A more difficult deceptive shot is the double motion, which is rarely used especially in doubles (as doubles is faster).

Trick shots are for show boating. I mean, I rarely see professional players do trickshots in tournaments.

IMO, I think Indonesians are the most deceptive players. Chinese players are more basic (although could be deceptive if they wanted to), but they're really fast. The same goes for Koreans.