Upgrade yy arc 8dx to ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by diverdan, Mar 20, 2012.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    mybadmintonstore have got it at 285-295

2. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Thanks. Based on its feel I don't think it'll be all the way down to 285, I would guess at least 290-295.. so then MX80 would be the same to just slightly more head heavy. In that case SW35 would probably be a bit better for me, though MX80 sounds like a great racket as well.

3. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Why not try a Nanospeed 9900? It has a extra-stiff shaft and is more repulsive
    I haven't tried a Nanospeed 9900

4. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I am looking into Victor at the moment. YY have the market share in the UK and finding other brands like Victor and Li-ning in sport shops is near on impossible in my area. I would appreciate sonera recommendations. I've tried the n55i and found too much flex in the shaft.

5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Sorry I haven't a Li-Ning or Victor racket myself.

6. crazyfreak

crazyfreak Regular Member

the MX-80 is now available once more in CentralSports albeit with a 120 pound price tag. it used to be only a hundred, god knows why it went up. In any case i feel the MX 80 is more of an all round racket, its not too head heavy and its not too stiff compared to the VT-80. I did struggle with it for the first few weeks after getting one because i was using a 4u VT-70 for over a year. it took a while to adjust to it.

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Agree NS9900 is extra stiff & repulsive,.. it is able to attack & defense well..

8. BlueTornado

I think that both the OP and I were looking for a racket that has more easily accessible power than the 8DX which we currently have. Wouldn't the NS9900, with an even head lighter balance than the 8DX but with similar stiffness, be even harder to get power from?

9. BlueTornado

diverdan, after looking around through some threads, I think you (and I) might want to try out the RKEP PRO9000. It looks like it'll have control nearly as good as the MX80/8DX but with more easily accessible power. Cheaper too :)

10. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Well guys. The strings broke on my arc tonight and I had to use my very old cab 25 SP. Surprisingly it give me a lot more power. I don't know why as it is an even racket. However the main difference was the strings. Both were strung to 26lbs but the arc had bg66um and the cab has bg80. I wonder if this had a bearing? Im putting bg80power on my arc strung at 28lbs so will see if that makes a difference. If not I will start reducing the tension.

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Hey BT. Did you ever buy the pro9000? Im toying with the idea of the sw35.

12. BlueTornado

I have not yet tried or purchased the 9000.

I have tried the SW35 and it is a very nice racket. The SW35 will definitely give you much more power. The SW35 also didn't feel that head heavy to me, which is good if you're looking for a maneuverable feel.

13. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

i also have both arc8dx and sw35. Played with sw35 for a month and did not like it. Even lent it to two of my friends (one using bs10/volt80) and both of them weren't used to it. Why do people keep mentioning it as high stiff? It's medium stiff, as stated on the racket itself. That's why there's more power in it compare to a high/xtra stiff racket, where the accuracy is compensate with power. It felt a lot like at700 2008. The reason i did not like it was my shots were always mistimed for some reason.

14. BlueTornado

No, the SW35 clearly has a 5/5 stiffness rating on it unless Malaysian coded SW35's are spec'd differently.

Softer shaft does not mean more power. It means more easily accessible power, but less of it overall as long as you have the ability to flex the shaft of stiffer rackets.

15. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    its probably due to the lack of power you are getting from the racket and over compensating by using too much shoulder

16. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    The BS10 has a fairly stiff shaft but is more even balanced.

17. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Ok. Just got a Victor SW35. Will see how one goes. Im starting to think the extra stiff arc8DX is too stiff.

18. BlueTornado

It's a really nice racket! Hope you like it.

19. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Hey, how's your new racket getting on? I have to take back statements regarding sw35. Been using it again the last few days and my smashes are pretty awesome i would say :D. You are right about me using too much shoulder the last time. i only realised it when my friend also commented on that part of my game the other day.

20. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    No worries. Sometimes it just takes a little tweek in your technique to get the most from any racket and tension. Over-rotating the shoulder to produce power is a common problem.

I am just about to get it restrung with bg66um at 28lbs as it is a bit soft at 22lbs at the moment. I had a go with it at club night and I have to say it swings very well and is very responsive and I already prefer it to my arc 8DX. Time will tell and the restring will give me more of an idea on how it plays.