Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phili

phili Regular Member

Still it's refreshing to see. When I see how the Chinese behave after a match no matter if they lose or win they don't seem to show respect to their opponent. Just a simple handshake. No words of appreciation or anything.
    I might be wrong here but this is how it seems to me.

2. phili

phili Regular Member

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think you judge them too harshly. They have no other obligation but to shake hands so that's what they do. I don't think it's in their culture to be openly expressive (there may be the odd one). If they want a love-in, they can do so after the match in their own privacy, and keep people like you and me guessing about their personalities.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Quite right, a lot of the girls don't even hug their coaches, just high-fives, even if it's ZN... it's just a cultural thing...

Although i do recall WX often being an exception; and I believe (based on what I've seen) that on a personal level, she really likes Tine Baun!

5. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    Yeah I agree with Madbad's response. It is a cultural thing and we can see that none of the asians do that when they are playing each other unless it's really necessary like for example when WX got injured during the Bronze medal match, SN came and gave her a hug after feeling sorry for her. SN did that only because the situation called for it. We dont usually see SN hugging opponents as Cobalt said, today being an exception.

A namesake handshake with a cold expression doesn't really look good. Although they have learnt the gamesmanship but they are yet to learn the sportsmanship.

But then it should be something innate and should not necessarily be taught to you. Sharing a smile, having a word, shaking a hand and patting a back goes a long way in making the sport more appealing and much more pleasing to the audience. Also this tends to reduce the bickering among the fans as well. After all they belong to the same sporting community and they all have the responsibility of promoting their sport in every possible way.

6. pujuma

pujuma Regular Member

I'm guessing because the opponent is not Chinese ;)

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    LOL, you're so cute...

8. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    It always is a reciprocal, I have seen Saina hugging most of her opponents but CHN and you know they dont deserve this infact. Still with LXR & WSX I doubt the exchange at the nets look plesantry but definitely not with WYH and if that counts as all I doubt you are wrong.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I would hug any of them with open arms. Time to switch to XD. :D

10. rahuldarga

IT
  11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Saina, great going. You won against china.. I also have to praise Li han, i did not any difference between both saina and li han except few shots. She was playing wonderful match. At last, saina proved her supremacy in the final touch of the game. With her experience and classy touch, she overcame Li han. Wonderful SAINA..

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Saina, great going. You won against china.. I also have to praise Li han, i did not find any difference between both saina and li han except few shots. She was playing wonderful match. At last, saina proved her supremacy in the final touch of the game. With her experience and classy touch, she overcame Li han. Wonderful SAINA..

14. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

This is always true for sports elites... if you ask the top 10 or even top 20 players in tennis, badminton, whatever sports, they will give you the same answer.Except TH... :D

15. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Whose TH? Well there surely are two kinds one who are extra talented and need to work a bit lesser comparatively and the other who have more perseverance to make up for that and work so hard that they could overcome it and beat the best...

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    :D Low blow!! :D But you know that's not entirely true, either... I recall Dinkalot describing his pre-match warmup and preparation routine, and how meticulous and dedicated he was, I believe it was US Open 2011... oh here...
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-That-Can-Take-40lbs.-String-Tension!/page312

17. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Taufiq? I'm sorry thought he aint the elite one or Top anymore... He was once but its ages I see him showing any good results :( bad example, or actually a good example to show that without the work even the most talented fades.... I wouldnt let his age be an excuse as UP is a god 5-6 years older to him and is still one of those elites there....

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Memoirs at 22!

RAKESH RAO
    October 25, 2012
    http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-metroplus/memoirs-at-22/article4029354.ece

Excerpts:

...Saina Nehwal, with several ‘firsts’ to her credit in a badminton career spanning 13 years, has documented her life thus far in the book Playing To Win .

...Much like Saina’s demeanour, simplicity stands out in the narration and presentation of the tale told over 118 pages.

The journey takes the reader from how she could not go beyond the “brown belt” in karate to collecting the Olympic bronze.

...Interestingly, these are smartly interspersed with “boxes” reflecting on Saina’s favourite players, the other sportspersons she admires, what is in her suitcase, the diet she follows, and much more.

...Reflecting her opinion on certain sections of the media, Saina narrates, “So how come you won? Did she (the other player) have a bad day?” And I would say, “No, I won because I played well,” and be greeted by derisive laughter. It was insensitive, but we sportspersons have been told that as public personalities, we have to get used to this. But how does one get used to rudeness?”

No doubt, Saina has ample reasons to say, “I have pretty much stopped reading the papers now and bothering about what people are saying.”

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  20. rahuldarga

IT
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=364323&tid=1

5.2 World Ranking - 11 or more World Ranking tournaments in the last 52 weeks
    If a player or pair has competed in the same event at 11 or more World Ranking tournaments, only the
    10 highest points scored in the tournaments during the previous 52 week period count towards their
    ranking.

>>> 10 highest scores will be considered t
    hat means the lowest will be remove from the total and the newly acquired points will be added to the total provided its higher than the lowest of the 10 scores

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.