2014 Li-Ning BWF WORLD Championships : Day-6 (30th August 2014) - SEMIFINALS

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by CLELY, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

if you still think that a 23:9 direct H2H record still could not say that LD is better than LCW, i am really speachless....

this could not even be called a "close" second... he actually got a "close" third with H2H with him at just 8:9....

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

badminton is a cursed sports... everyone just indulges in finding non-sports means to win something...

have you seen the basketball WC match between USA and Finland earlier today? the Fins could not throw in a ball in Q2!!!

is this fair? the Americans have so may money in NBA to make the strong in basketball, this is another kind of injustice in sports... yet there is no complaint from the Fins....

the USA team have been winning almost every WC and OG, so dominant that the ROW could only compete for the silver. should USA basketball team be forbidden to play in all WCs for the health of the sports according to some badminton fans' statement???

in basketball, the ROW (like Spain, France, Greek, etc) just try to improve themselves on court, try to catch up USA team by sports means, not by whining around and ask for non-sports privilege to dwarfing the USA team... this is the true healthy attitude in sports IMO!!!

3. phanlinhkhuong

phanlinhkhuong Regular Member

Badminton Shop Owner
    what racket is Lee Yong Dae using last night? Is that BS12 or BS12N?

4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I understand what you said but I do not agree. You have to consider the history of badminton to understand what MF said during that final.
    At the 08 OLY, LD crushed everyone, and specially LCW. MF said that was the best badminton display he ever saw. But after that LCW changed his style and became an aggressive player. Slowly the H2H between these two became balanced.
    At the 2011 WC final, LCW had arrived at a technical and physical level some, like MF ( and me) considered above LD. But other factors come into play, like handling pressure and tactics. In those, LD proved to remain on top.
    Anyway, what MF said at the end was that LCW was as good as LD (during the post 08 OLY period) and that LD would take all the titles would not reflect this equality.
    You might think this is being biased, but I say it is an assessment quite informed.

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Classic second sentence..

6. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Its a bane of many commentators to show who their preference is unfortunately. On the whole I welcome and enjoy the commentary by both GC and MF. They have such a treasure of experience and give it to us everytime they are on. I also enjoy the commentaries by the other two gentlemen in this competition The discussion they have is very interesting and their analysis is good and its a refreshing change.
    On the issue of limiting the number of participants as the two gentlemen said, if its the olympics then there is a case for this as you want more countries to take part. But in the world championships its an individual so the best in the world should be represented. One should liken the similar participants to a classical piece played by different symphonies. Was it good or better than the last time you heard it play.
    Can you imagine if the Chinese table tennis team stopped participating at world competitions. Or the jamaicans refrained from the sprint events.
    As a badminton enthusiast I would like to see more TH,LD,LCW PG and all those wonderful skills they demonstrated. Please leave out patroitism as its the last refuge of a scoundrel
    And I must add that the commentators are far from that. They are doing a great job and please dont let these small comments hurt your feelings.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But one should not only consider LD. We should consider the development of the China team globally.
    At the Indian GPG, in the final between Song Xue and Shrikanth, MF was very positive about Xue Song's play. And one can understand that beside nationalities, there are style of play that appeal or not to some.
    The previous generation of Chinese MS was exciting, lively, and had personalities of different types, like Chen Hong, Bao Chunlai and of course LD.
    But after that the Team began to shape similar-style players, with Chen Jin as the perfect example. Junior players with flamboyant style, like Wang Zhengming, became robotic players after a while with the A team.
    Now who liked to watch Chen Jin play? The overall direction given to the team is not pleasant, and this have nothing to do with liking Chinese player or not. It is about how we like badminton to be played.
    And saying that MF would dislike Chinese players because he himself encountered tough Chinese players is laughable at best. Such comments only reflect the mind set of the speaker.

8. volcom

volcom Regular Member

If LCW had gotten to a physical level beyond LD, he wouldnt be losing all the 3 setters, and cramping.

9. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    i have seen that match like so many times before and as far as i remember, what morten frost said about lee chong wei is that 'he is the best player in the world at the moment' and he clearly said that he might not win this one but he was simply playing at another lever at that moment. right at the start of the match he also praised lin dan about his outstanding play and all. well i certainly differ from people here. .i never found anything biased from the commentators in that match.

10. kruntil

kruntil Regular Member

he's talking about match fixing by CHN teams. not superior CHN teams.

correct me if i'm wrong.

11. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Just found on badzine:
    Kim Sa Rang, the other half of the Kim/Kim Korean men’s pair, has sustained a shoulder injury and had to give a walk-over to their compatriots Ko/Shin. Kim – who played a very solid World Championships until now – is said to have an operation scheduled for next month for his shoulder injury.

As I already stated I can´t really believe it was an W/O on purpose... Well, we dont know if they would have played if it wasn´t another Korean pair.
    The operation won´t take part before the Asian Games?! Hope they can play in Incheon!

12. volcom

volcom Regular Member

I cant believe anyone would argue MF wasnt biased in that wc11 match...

Near the end all i heard was basically he was in tears as he spoke after LD won.

Before that he was like ... Yesyesyes it's coming for lcw... The gold medal!

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

That is because of LD's tactical ability, in the case of the last WC. LD is able to do three things LCW fails to do as well : 1) anticipate 2) choose shots so he would not run 3) inject pace for 3-4 points and then slow down.

14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

You can't believe because you fail to see others have different perspective

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Some of you LCW fanboys and your bias are quite laughable. The H2H between LCW and LD post 2008 Olympics is 12 wins for LD, 4 wins for LCW:

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/p...false&p2=296B69A5-3C25-4E3D-964E-DDFA46A1333A

If you throw out the 2012 Olympics and 2011 + 2013 WC, LCW has still lost plenty to LD so it's probably not a matter of nerves.

I don't even know why LCW fanboys think LCW is technically on par with LD. It's obvious that LCW is technically inferior to LD, otherwise the H2H record would show a different picture. Again, look at the post 2008 Olympic H2H matches against LD: In LD's losses to LCW, LD got 16 points in a set (Swiss SS 2009). In LCW's losses to LD, LCW achieved single digits three times: 9 points (China SS 2008), 7 points (China SS 2009), and 8 points (Thomas Cup Malaysia 2010). Actually, post 2008 Olympics, LD has never had a set with single digits against LCW.

Now the truth about technical skill. LD has is a superior net player. In fact, LD is probably the best net player in today's MS. This is how LD gets his opponent to lift and how LD gets control of the rally. In addition, LD has superior smash defense near the body. LCW just doesn't handle body smashes as well as LD, especially when they play against each other. LD has better anticipation than LCW (this is also a technical skill).

Technically, the only thing I like about LCW more than LD is LCW's form for overhand clear. I don't like the position of LD's right hand/arm on his clears and LCW looks a little bit more balanced and natural. However, this isn't a deal breaker as LD has no problems clearing to the back and staying balanced for the return.

Pre-2012 Olympics, it may have been barely debatable for LCW fan boys who think LCW was as good as LD. Post 2012 Olympics (and with LD's win against LCW in 2013 WC), it's not even barely debatable anymore, it's simply a fact that LD is superior to LCW in many areas, including the technical area.

#255 galaxyduo, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  16. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    1. This is exactly what the problem is. You are even quoting wrong statistics. Before Olympics 2008, LCW won 5 off 15 matches he had played. After that he has won 4 off 16 matches. The difference has only increased.

2. For me, it was Lin Dan who was doing most of the mistakes. He was leading in the first game when they went into extra points. Demolished LCW in the second. And was also leading 19-16 when he did a couple of blunders. Even the match point to LCW was awarded on a mistake off LD.

3. The major difference between Lin Dan and LCW is that LD is a winner. Yes, I agree that LD has got a heart of steel. But I am the person who admires it more. I like these close finishes, and to see the killer instinct coming through.

4. The purpose of the match is to win. It may involve many skills. It is your job to be good at all departments and not whine about it. The results of a match are and should be the best determinant of a better player, rest everything is fairly subjective.

5. If you cannot see biased commentary in wc11, dude it's too tough to explain. I am ready to write a paper on this one. I will choose neutral people, who know nothing about Badminton to watch the commentary and then choose.

17. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Yes arjevo but how can you say that, when all the stats point to a different story.
    let's talk about records.
    Lin Dan has a negative record against 3 players, Peter Rasmussen, Pullela Gopichand and Chen Wei. And a neutral record against 2, Chen hong and Ewk Hong Ong.
    Remember all these players were before his age. He was just a teenager when playing gopichand or rasmussen.

LCW has a negative record against 14 players, and a neutral against 4!

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I don't know who you mean by LCW fan boys. I am not in the lot though, because I personaly like LD much more then I like LCW.
    In fact, to reduce this topic to who you like the most, and commenting according to one's preference, is what some criticized with MF. So you should not replicate that fault.
    I said LCW, post 08 OLY, slowly progressed in his encounter with LD. The was a curb, peaking in 2012-2012. The change did not happen all of a sudden in october 2008.
    Now some of you might consider in 11 and 12 LD was still above LCW not only in their H2H, but in their overall performances. But that you cannot fathom why other people believe the opposite just show you are the biased one, not MF

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Excellent. That's what I call the scientific approach based on facts or evidence. It amazes me there are still Lin Dan deniers around.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nice rejoinder. That's why Lin Dan is my type of hero, not LCW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.