Misbun quits as national singles coach

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Jan 1, 2011.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

He already mentioned INA players in press intv, as in playing for clubs & going pro thingy. Read Utusan
    So, next example tennis

2. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It would be appreciated if you could list all the open titles won by JS during his playing career. It is good for us, Bcers, to know more about him just as we know so much about LYB and Morten Frost.

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

To tell you the truth Msia players from 1970 up to 1988 are nothing to shout about.It was a rock bottom period where

the government did not provide much support and the only people noteworthy at that time were the Sidek family

thru the personal efforts of their parents.The Msia Open was revived only in 1983.

I cant remember any Msia player of that period (pre-Misbun) who won any International tournaments, only local ones.

Only that they performed beyond expectations in the 1976 and 1979 Thomas Cup.

James played singles and doubles in those Thomas Cup campaigns.

Other than that as everyone knows he grew up in the Selangor Badminton Association Hall in Kampung Attap

where his family were the caretakers.

It was only after 1988 when Msia badminton opened up to foreign influence and Msia reached the Thomas Cup Final after a long lapse.

It has gone "local" in recent years.

4. eaglehelang

One of the team events he played was TC 1976, MS & MD, where Msia was runner up. You can search TC by each edition. Datuk JS joined Bata in 1980, no idea how he got his Datukship
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Thomas_Cup

5. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Friday January 7, 2011
    Misbun ready to talk
    By RAJES PAUL
    PETALING JAYA: There may be a happy end to the Misbun Sidek controversy after all.
    After keeping mum for some time, Misbun has finally aired his grievances that led to his decision to quit as a national badminton coach to Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek in a heart-to-heart talk on Wednesday.
    [​IMG] I am out: Misbun Sidek handed in his resignation on Dec 31.
    And Shabery will now initiate a tripartite meeting among Misbun, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) and himself to resolve matters.
    Misbun tendered a resignation letter to the BAM on Dec 31. And his decision to leave the national team brought out strong reactions from world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, who said that he would follow suit if the BAM were unable to persuade his coach to change his mind.
    The “healing session” between Misbun and BAM is expected to take place in a day or two after Shabery returns from an official visit to Kuching.
    Shabery is playing the role as the mediator after Misbun refused to meet BAM president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Mohd Salleh to reveal why he decided to quit.
    The minister had met Nadzmi and other BAM officials at lunch on Wednesday. And together with the National Sports Council’s (NSC) director of sports management, Abdul Jalil Abdullah, they met Misbun over dinner.
    Shabery said that Misbun had some problems with the BAM that could be ironed out.
    “I gathered from the talk with Misbun that there were some grievances and differences in opinion between him and the BAM,” he said.
    “He (Misbun) raised some valid points that needed to be ironed out. It has nothing to do with some of the speculations that have emerged. It is about how one handles the training and its approaches.
    “I will, however, not divulge the details of what was spoken in privacy. The best way is for me to bring both parties for a discussion. Let us all be open about it.”

Shabery said that both Misbun and Nadzmi had agreed to have the meeting.
    “I have spoken to Nadzmi and he is open to have a discussion with Misbun and vice versa. Both sides are sincere and I think, this is a positive sign,” he said.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/1/7/sports/7750604.asp&sec=sports

6. eaglehelang

Misbun: I need a break

By K.M. Boopathy and Desmond Davidson

2011/01/07

MISBUN Sidek has stated that his patriotism should not be questioned just because he resigned as the national singles coach last week.
    Misbun said that badminton has been his life and he wants to take a temporary break and will return when he overcomes his anger and disappointment.

"I'm upset and disappointed and I want to take a break. It's not a question of patriotism as I have been involved in badminton all my life," said Misbun.

"What happened internally (in the coaching and training committee meeting) should remain internal and I'm not going to reveal anything.

"I had dinner with Sports Minister (Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek) yesterday (Wednesday) but it was just an informal meeting and nothing more than that."

Misbun also made it clear his decision was not influenced by anyone and there is also no attempt to lure Lee Chong Wei or any other shuttler out of the national team.

An emotional Misbun, who turns 51 next month, declined from making further comments as he felt the time was not right.

Meanwhile, Ahmad Shabery said he will be having a joint meeting with Misbun and BA of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh to settle the issue after his two-day visit to Sarawak.

Ahmad Shabery was optimistic the differences between Misbun and BAM would be sorted out before the Malaysia Open on Jan 18-24.

"With the Malaysia Open beginning soon, I am sure that the situation will improve. Time will assist us to clear the air. I feel that it is not good that the problem between Misbun and BAM went public and that Misbun had to tender his resignation," said Ahmad Shabery.

"There should have been dialogues and discussions rather than going public. There will only be the three of us in the meeting."

Speculation is rife that one of the reasons behind Misbun's resignation was the decision by BAM to let Hendrawan coach Misbun's son Misbun Ramdan.

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/lkwelkdl_e/Article/art_print

7. eaglehelang

http://www.utusan.com.my/utusan/info.asp?y=2011&dt=0107&pub=Utusan_Malaysia&sec=Sukan&pg=su_01.htm
    Misbun's statement:
    "Kami (bersama Menteri) hanya berbual kosong semalam. Saya menjelaskan kepada beliau sebab mengapa saya mahu meletakkan jawatan, itu saja.
    We (together with the Sports Minister) only had a chat yesterday. I explained to him why I wanted to resign, that's all

"Saya tetap berpegang kepada prinsip bahawa apa yang dibincangkan atau berlaku dalam bilik mesyuarat, sepatutnya kekal di situ dan tidak perlu dibawa keluar. Begitupun saya mengakui, rasa kecewa terhadap persatuan adalah sebab saya mahu berundur.
    "Apa pun, ketika ini saya tidak mahu fikir dan berkata apa-apa, kerana saya hanya mahu berehat seketika. Saya harap semua pihak menghormati dan memahaminya,'' ujar Misbun.
    I hold the principle that whatever that's discussed in the meeting room stays there & cannot be revealed.
    However, I admit the disappointement towards the association that caused me to step down.
    At this time I dont want to think or do anything, because I just want to rest for while. I hope all parties respect & understand that.

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I think that it's good for him to take a break... spend more quality time with his loved ones... coz his life has been revolved around Badminton... boleh?

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    misbun looks tired, he need a good rest... refresh himself & take a look at his life... God luck Misbun!

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    At the age of half a century now, such issue can be mentality stressful and lethargic to our Datuk Misbun. Its not easy to become a coach since a lot of pure commitment and dedication are required to get the best of your student, and to become a good, world class coach like Datuk Misbun, unmeasurable dedication, caring and sacrifice has already been poured out from his veins that even Datuk LCW treats him like a father to himself. Datuk Misbun is amoung the coaches i assume that is in his own class by himself and some BAM people just seems not to understand and appreciate that.

Just take a break Datuk Misbun, pray and calm yourself and if BAM seems to get panick while you are not around, just ask Datuk N##### or his GM, Mr KG or NSC director, Datuk Z to coach Datuk LCW and see how they perform.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I would tell Misbun; "Please don't return to BAM"

I would tell Misbun; "Please don't return to BAM. Your work has not been appreciated".

12. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    You should go and have meeting together with Dato Nadzmi and Misbun. They should listen to you first before they made decision.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Once a minister gets involved it becomes political. The current politics are firmly grounded in the government sharing the glories of any sporting success that sportsmen and sportswomen bring. This brings more votes and in return more titles like Datukships are awarded.
    Right now the most valuable sporting figures to the government are the footballers who won the Suzuki Cup, Nicol David, and LCW. These are untouchables. When LCW throws his full support behind MS the government has no alternative but to do whatever to ensure LCW's wish is their command. Prima Donas sometimes have enormous power.

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    best story of the day :D

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am at BadmintonCentral because I love Badminton

I am at BadmintonCentral because I love Badminton.

From what I see currently (as reported), it indicates that Misbun loves Badminton more than Nadzmi.

For you, it's very clear cut; you have already told BAM to sack Misbun.

#295 chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Since you all continue to discuss it even after Misbun publicly asked for people to leave him in peace

I think the resignation could be a result of :

1) Difficulty in coping with change, its difficult to suddenly have people looking over the shoulders.Applies to everyone.

2) Unable to cope with new demands, it is quite difficult for people over 50 years old to learn new things .

3) To me the BAM is trying to improve, it sure is better than previously when Nadzmi was chairman of the Training Committee.
    Being new perhaps the staff could have been very heavy handed in dealing with staff, for eg. seeing the bad and not the
    good and demoralising people, for eg.unreasonable demands in asking why LCW did not win 10/10 matches.

All these are only too common when bodies implement changes, it is how the changes are implemented, gradually,tactfully etc.

It can actually be resolved by improving communications, but like someone said, the last thing is to involve politicians with different agenda.

I wouldn't go as far as saying Misbun has done more than BAM ,the big challenge is whether he can cope with the changes
    and challenges eventually.

17. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    In terms of what you think that he, Misbun shpuld not be sacked?

18. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Anyone can do a petition to have MS as President? ;)

Its time for the existing President to give a chance to others? ;)

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Leave BAM Misbun, don't let Dato A and/or BAM sack you

I have already voiced my opinion:

Leave BAM Misbun, don't let Dato A and/or BAM sack you. :p:p:p

#299 chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    In MAS, no President resign even if they are incompetent. They always think it is their right. Just look at the country's number one sport.