what's the different?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gamepurpose, Jun 2, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    very tight tension and average tension?
    for me opinion onlyyyyyy please dont get mad for my non professional

my opinion;
    the tighter the tension, the more power u able to create.
    good for pushing and driving shots (bird goes faster)
    overall for all the shots that require fast pace (if that's how you spell the word =) ) the tighter the tension the better.

however, high tension takes whole lot power out of you. (that's wat i heard only =)
    i don't have any problem with clearing, smashing

either i can't feel it. Unless there is 2 exact racquets with different tensions being there for me to test it.

2. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

uh, it also go the opposite way. too tight,and it saps power away, because you cant flex the strings. then it slows things down.

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    depending on what level you play at will depend on the outcome.
    More advanced players hit the shuttle with strong technique and clean connection.

Therefore they need higher tension if they wish to increase their power.

With less advanced players you find that anything 25lbs and above will decrease their poewr as their technique and connection is either not correct or not quite as clean to produce the right outcome.

For me i am quite advanced. my technique and shot connection is quite good and clean. So i can use tension effectively of up to around 28lbs. Anything higher and i either break strings or find trouble getting full power. On the other hand anything less than 25lbs and i find it just doesnt give me anything at all. So i string my rackets between 25-27lbs for now. As i get fitter and stronger and advance even further i will most likely increase my tension to around 29/30.

Everybody is different the only way to tell what you can use is to experiment. When your due for your next restring get it strung to 24lbs. Play for a couple of weeks to let the strings sink in and see how it feels. If it breaks then drop it to 22lbs. If you find your losing power drop it to 22lbs. etc etc

Its all in experimentation and finding the correct balance for you.

4. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Actually, the lower the tension, the more power, but less accuracy/control. The higher the tension, the more accurate the shots. It's just that the high level players can generate sufficient power through the arm and wrist. Thus, they trade in power for more accuracy/control.

Think of it this way...
    High tension - jumping on concrete floor.
    Low tension - jumping on a trampoline.

When you have low tension, the repulsion shoots the bird out, but causes the direction of the bird to curve a few degrees, leading to less accuracy.

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    ahh fair enough.
    I was correct with the technique needing to be better for higher tension then.
    Thanks for the correct info :)

6. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

however, if you have teh available power/technique, that cement floor can launch you even farther than the trampoline does, and you will go straight:D.

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I admit, playing with too low of a tension does feel like a lack of power sometimes. It just doesn't feel solid when you make contact with the bird. It would feel kind of dull.

But playing with too high of a tension, the bird would feel dead. My friend strung an AT500 at 27 lbs a year ago, and he lost his smashes with that tension during his Mix game. He said he couldn't feel the bird contacting the racket.

I guess it's just your own preference. I actually do feel a lot more power when my rackets are strung between 22~25 than under 22.

Kind of hard to believe that low tension would actually give more power right? :eek:

8. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, probably will if you have a jet pack attached to your back :p

9. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I beg to differ.

First, understand that the power comes from the player. The racket/string system is only a medium to transfer that power to the shuttle.

The faster you can swing a racket, the more it will deform upon impacting the shuttle. As the racket/string attempts to recover to its normal form, it applies an extra force to the shuttle. This force is greater for a stiffer system.

If you cannot swing the racket fast enough, the deformation/recovery will still happen but to a much smaller extent. In this case, while the same bigger force is applied on the shuttle, it happens over a much smaller distance hence transferring very little power.

If, on the other hand, you swing the racket so fast that the deformation exceeds a certain optimal, the shuttle will leave the racket system before it completely recovers resulting again in less power transfer.

IOW, a higher tension gives higher potential power. This is just potential since it depends on the player's ability to harness it.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    read da stickies

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144

11. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    i think weeyeh is right, well first lets make sure that i got the same idea as weeyeh
    If i'm not wrong wat weeyeh said was If your hit or shots are a QUICK snap, then when the tighter the string the more power it generate.
    If that's the case thats wat weeyeh said then i think is 100 percent true TO me.
    Because as we said new players tend to feel uncomfortable with high tension racquet, because they do not use their wrist correctly. Most of them will think using the shoulder will create enourmous power. But because by using the shoulder movement it doesn't create the quick snap, therefore they feel weak in their shots.
    ok I guess I'll restring my racquet up to 30 maybe or 29.
    My old AT700 broke at 31, felt great right with the tension, but because the racquet had a crack so it broke.
    lets hope my new at900 T will be okay =)
    thank you for the informations

12. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Just want to sum this up to check my understanding. So you are basically saying that it will depend on the player's abilities to use the full potential of the tension. And factors of it include swing speed and strength from the player.

Well, to correct myself: low tension are generally for beginners because they lack the strength and experience to harness high tensions. At that level, it will give them sufficient power (explained in my previous post of how low tension works).

But as players get better, they develop faster swing speed which leads to the change of higher tension.

Correct me if I'm wrong, still want to learn more about tension :p

13. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah I think so also now. It makes sense. I haven't considered the connection between swing speed and tension.

14. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Hi GamePurpose & Jing, exactly!!

15. krisss

krisss Regular Member

This is interesting.

So a lower tension is not always the most powerfullest between low and high it depends on the players skill level. If their skill level is low then they can't harness that potential from the tighter strings so they will find using tight will reduce their power. But if you are of a high skill level then you can use tight strings and gain more power than if you had a low string tension.

Please tell me if that is correct Weeyeh? I understand it sort of.

16. Noobiee

Noobiee Regular Member

i think u got it right...
    2 years ago i was using 22-24 lbs & now i'm using 26-28 lbs...
    to me, higher tension giv me greater power as the shuttle bounce off the stringbed faster .
    as for my mates, they feel higher tension is hard to generate power.
    so it depends on individual skill....

17. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, you're right. Someone with a slow swing wouldn't be able to generate any power from a tight stringbed because they just couldn't make it flex. On the other end of the spectrum are the professionals with technique that's superb and insane racket head speed. They can make tight stringbeds bend and once a tight stringbed moves, it comes back to its resting position quicker meaning it throws the shuttle off with grater speed.

18. lalala123

lalala123 Regular Member

Is tension 26 too tight for a girl?

19. Noobiee

Noobiee Regular Member

it depends on ur skill & also ur strenght ;)

what's ur current tension?

20. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student