Player(s) in New York, US - Anyone???

Discussion in 'USA East' started by LazyBuddy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Froderick

Froderick Regular Member

Administrative Clerical
    :crying:Aww, that's ok but if you want to play during the week just let me know you'll still have fun. :)

2. saurabhs

saurabhs Regular Member

Business
    hiAre u planning today in the evening?

3. saurabhs

saurabhs Regular Member

Business
    Hi, r u playing today evening?

4. saurabhs

saurabhs Regular Member

Business
    Hi
    Are you playing today?

5. Virocon

Virocon Regular Member

Southern California native here. Moved to NYC 6mths ago and, relative to CA, am finding it very difficult to find decently priced nearby gyms.

Can any NYC regulars help with info? I'd like to stay in Manhattan if possible. Been to Flushing and it's quite a trip (1hr).

Does anyone have experience and thoughts on the Community Center at Stuyvesant High?
    Number of courts?
    What's the level of play?
    How busy does it get on Thurs? Sun?

Thanks!

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If NYC locations are your only choices, then www.nycbadminton.com is the one to contact. However, compare to most other places, the price is high, as the cost of city, you know.

Since you do not want to travel to Flushing, I assume NYBC, Friendly, CP are all out, as they all require you travel to Flushing (or Jamaica) by subway, then transfer buses.

Depends on what's your location, and which subway (assume you do not drive) you can easily access, you can try www.brooklynbadminton.com (D train to Bay 50 Street). They have sessions on Thursday night and Saturday daytime.

Have not heard about the one in Stuy. HS recently, not sure whether they still have in session. Personally, I've never been there, so sorry for not being able to provide more details.

7. Virocon

Virocon Regular Member

Thanks for the help. I'll see how things go in my search.
    Can't say I'm not disappointed in the numbers and quality of accessible gyms in Manhattan. Just used to SoCal where there's a recent boom in dedicated gyms.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I assume most of the CA gyms are converted warehouse from the industrial (or formly) area. That's where the NY dedicated gyms (CP and NYBC) are, Queens. NYC is the downtown area, and I am sure it will be too expensive for anything.

9. gtu2004

gtu2004 New Member

anyone needs a partner in NYC? :) I'm intermediate-semi-advanced. I live in Manhattan but am willing to travel a bit.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you do not mind to travel to brooklyn (usually about 1 - 1.5 hrs trip by subway, depend on where you locate in the city), you can try www.brooklynbadminton.com. We play there from 10am to 4pm, every Saturday.

NYC badminton center (Flushing, Queens) can be another choice, again, about 1 - 1.5 hrs trip by subway, depend on where you locate in the city. My group usually there around 4pm - 9pm on Sunday, but sometimes, it can be abit crowded, especially before 6pm.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    with those schedules, how do you guys eat lunch, and dinner? ;)

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    whoa. the prices in NYC is pretty crazy. i guess everything in Manhattan is expensive.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Bring the food and drink with us. Once I get into the door, I am not leaving until they turn off the light. :D

14. gtu2004

gtu2004 New Member

Thanks! Is the Brooklyn one normally as crowded as the Flushing one? Do you have some sort of group of players that usually play together and that has allotted time slot/court? I'm new to this. Haven't played since college where I was in the badminton club so we had free use of the gym.

I used to live in Flushing until 2 years ago, wish I knew about this.

15. kyh212

kyh212 Regular Member

From my experience:
    - Brooklyn is usually (very) crowded on Saturday
    - Flushing: it depends on the day and the time you play (it is open every day). I play sometimes in Flushing on Sunday (10 AM - 2PM) and there are less waiting time than Brooklyn, especially around noon when morning players leave and before afternoon players arrive.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Both places can be crowded depend on the time, my expereince is:

Brooklyn Badminton (Saturday 10am - 4pm, 8 courts) - crowded between 12 - 2:30. Much better between 10 - 12, and 2:30 - 4pm. Many times, we can even play singles during off-peak time. Peak time highly depends, but usually 1 game, then 1 wait is the deal.

NYBC (I usually only show up Sunday afternoon, cannot comment on other time, 6 courts) - crowded between 2:30 or 3 - 6pm. Usually after 6 or 6:30, it will be much better, unless more than 1 courts being reserved. I was told usually in the morning and earlier afternoon, it's much better. Based on my own observation, the most competitive group of players (Sunday) usually show up after 6pm.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Please refer my previous post regarding which time slots are usually "peak" for each club. Due to both clubs accept "walk-in", it's very hard to predict which one will be "super busy" on a given day. It only takes 1 large group of 15 players, to make either one "crowded".

My suggestion is, depends on your location and schedule, you can pick one and give it a try. The key is that if you can stay longer, come in earlier, stay later, you have much better chance to get a lot games in either place. However, if you can only stay for 2-3 hours, and that happen to be the "peak" time, then the choices will be greatly limited, and the experience may not be so great.

Both places the management will help to arrange games, which will help in certain degree, especially when getting crowded. NYBC do offer court reservation. Therefore, if you have a large group of players and tend to stay together, you might look into it. However, if you are a single walk-in, it will affect you in a negative way (less available courts). Brooklyn do not really offer court reservation, but if you show up with a large group, on-site arrangement (sort like reserve a court) can be made.

#357 LazyBuddy, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  18. Vorce21

Vorce21 New Member

Anyone know where I can play for free in NYC ?

19. neverdien

neverdien Regular Member

Hi guys, i'm an intermediate player looking for a place to play in Long Island to Flushing. Can anybody tell me we can I go??

20. m1r4ge

m1r4ge New Member

IT
    Hello everyone,
    Just wanted to drop my 5 cents
    There are many places to play Badminton in Brooklyn. As mentioned earlier John Dewey H.S. (http://brooklynbadminton.com/) Thursdays from 7:30 -11:00 pm and Saturdays 1:00 - 6:00 (if im not mistaken)
    James Madison H.S. (http://fitnessbadminton.com/) Tuesdays from 8:00 - 11:00 pm and Friday 8:00 - 11:00 pm
    William Grady H.S. (http://brooklynbadmin.com/) Wednesday 8:00 -11:00 pm

There are more play to play if anyone interested