most difficult shot to master

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Aug 23, 2007.

?

most difficult shot to master

1. clear

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. lift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. drop

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. smash

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. straight net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. crosscourt net

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    I would say the backhand smash

2. baddictx

baddictx Regular Member

Helpdesk
    For me it's the crosscourt net shot. I'm not really a net player (more on a hard hitter) that's why I really suck at this kind of trick. =)

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    100% agree with you, I find this to be the most pressuring shot in the game, to keep it low, to make it over the net and to make it land in without giving your opponent too much of a chance to smash. Following that would be the smash for myself.

4. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    lol. I'm good in playing net. but not backhand. sigh. need more practice :)

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    backhand overhead to clear seems to be the one i am uncapable of acheiving. :D

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

just slice it, and stop dinking it:eek:

when you slice your backhanddrops you can hit them with a lot more pace, remember: the goal is to get out of trouble, not trying to score a winner from a difficult angle. If you slice it, hit it fast, it just needs to get low over the net.

7. cqmy1612

cqmy1612 Regular Member

Student
    haha. lol. hmm. for me, drop is really difficult. don't know when only can master it :(

8. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Yes. Difficult shot indeed.

But the rewards are great....if you can master it....u don't have resort to energy sapping/back-breaking....around the head clear. :cool:

9. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    just dropping in general :) soo many slices and different degrees on control.

10. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

For some reason I've always had trouble with forehand drives... :S. Yeah backhand crosscourt drop... sometimes it works perfectly but most of the time it either seems to go miles out or up high near the center of the court >_> :p.

11. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    what should one begininer focus on at first

1. movement
    2. Clears
    3. Drops
    4. Netshots
    5. Defense
    6. Smash/ Backhands *
    7. Tatics

What you guys think is this order good for people to focus on. becuase some beginners love to focus just on smash when their clears arent strong or high enough. But once they master the first couple steps such as a strong clear that strenght would help them further in the advancements of smashes.

12. WhyrlWynd

WhyrlWynd Regular Member

System Engineer
    I find straight net shot is the one that's truly hard to master and execute, even by the pros. How many matches have we seen in Singles where Lin, Gade, Taufik, Lee Chong Wei etc fight for net supremacy and even they are unable great net shots all the time (and end up getting tap from the net from the opponent). The margin for error for net shots is pretty small.

13. Jurethatsme

Jurethatsme Regular Member

microbiologist
    That would be a good order of skills to learn for a beginner, I agree. Maybe I would put tactics before defence, because it's important to play smart, especialy in doubles - one cannot play in doubles if he/she doesn't know where to stand, how to response in specific situations... Let me explain. Once I played with one girl/total beginner (panhadle all the time :( ) against one male/very good beginner and one male/good beginner. I invite them to meet my beloved sport :) ... And I explain to the girl the logic of doubles play and it was really difficult at start (I was flying all over the court ;) ), but when she started to understand, the game started to be fun! Score? we vs. them: 0:1, 0:2, 1:2, 2:2, 3:2! Sweet victory! Other guys very like this :confused::mad: :)

14. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I agree with WhyrlWynd. An improvement in tight net shot makes a big difference in single. Play it loose and you will run like crazy afterward :). Play it tighter and you probably will get a good chance to smash.

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    that is good to you as the gal can learn it fast. just some people do learn at slow.... very slow pace. maybe due to the laziness or no interest to learn and improve...:(

16. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    the hardest skill to master, as in excellent if not perfect form must be either the smash or the clear, but since the first thing you learn to do when you start playing, is learn to clear. Clearing is one of those skills that can come out half-assed or can come out full on perfect. in other words, it can be easily done bad or extremely easily done well----> its hard to grasp.

17. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Hey Xtc-604 :). Haven't seen you for a few days...and yeah, I agree that the clear is most important, as it's the basis for the drop and smash as well.

18. remix441

remix441 Regular Member

Student
    yea, athelete1234 doing more clears will increase your strenght before starting to smash. IF your clears arent good enough, dont do smashes yet because that means you not have enough strenght/technique to even do the other. Once you master one, move to the other. Drops come from practice

19. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i'm the only one that's voted for the lift as being the most difficult shot out of the list... i looked at the list and approached it this way.

theres lots of shots that you see done to a fairly adequate level in beginners.
    the clear, smash, drive, and various net shots.
    clears, smashes, and drops are all based on the same stroke and mastering one will put you well on the road to mastering the others. yes, some players lack technique, in fact, a lot do, but the fact is, their clear still forced us to move back to baseline, their smash still forced us to lift or drive it back, and their drop still forced us to take a step or two forward.
    drives are fairly basic. heck, even beginners with pan-handle and bent elbow smashes produce decent drives.
    i've seen a handful of beginners with a crazy assortment of netshots. they're not very pretty, but they're acceptable. besides, i'm sure we've all come up with a bunch of stuff for netplay through horsing around on the court anyway. i agree that netshots are very difficult, requiring us to look at the direction of spin and applying the correct stroke, or having to wait for it to recover, since if we strike the tumbling shuttle in the wrong manner, it won't go where we wanted it to.

i'm not talking about A-level or pro-level mastery of a particular shot or technique, but i'm seeing this as doing that particular shot with a level of consistency and quality that can be accepted in game-play, and all the shots above i have listed are seen to be used by various levels of beginners.

the lift however, i think is deceptive in it's level of difficulty.
    lifts are done when? only when we're in trouble. when its done in trouble, the inherent difficulty of the shot increases. the quality of the shot the opponent also influences this level of difficulty. when i think of a lift, i'm not talking about those rainbow-arc'ed lifts we see in beginners games, because those get killed or smashed with ease. a good lift is one that maximizes height and length, perhaps breaking the opponent's rythem, attack, forcing them to wait for the shuttle to fall. it also forces them to strike what is probably one of the most difficult positions to attack a shuttle in: when the cork is facing straight down.

some might say a lift is a lift, but i feel that a bad lift is not a lift. it's someone serving up dinner.

#59 chickenpoodle, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  20. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

lifting a hard smash for me.. im not talking about some chicken smash.. i tend to only able to do drop.

the other is cross net drop.