MS: Who has the best head to head record of top players

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by freelast, Sep 10, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I already pointed that out on page 2 :p:D

To answer freelast, in my list LCW is still current 2nd best. If by list of major tourneys won, Taufik would be 2nd best of current era

#41 eaglehelang, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

yup you did, and he did not answer did he? so i asked again :)

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Im afraid he would not accept my offer :), it would be great if he's OK cos its nothing to be ashamed of,................or is it?? :D

4. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    I think its better to officiate it because lately we have the unofficial W#1 and unofficial W#2 which is why we are here in the first place. Lots of unofficials.

So why not to have an official .......... At least its official!;)

5. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    great job :)
    that shows that Nguyen isn't that good against top10 players but he even isn't the last one on WR.........

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

NTM is a very hardworking player... and a fighter... it is enough for him to beat those lower than top 10, but then still he has a bad record against every player in the top 10... but I reckon he can beat Chen Long or BP(used to be top 10)

7. freelast

freelast Regular Member

I just checked the official site, CHJ vs LD is 0:0. Where did you come up with 100%? Did you count some unoffical matches? We cannot count all the matches as I mentioned before LD could have lost to Xie Xin Fang many times at home. :) You cannot count that.

ho jin CHOI[​IMG] Member ID:70797Country:[​IMG][KOR] KORRanking:220 (5270) Dan LIN[​IMG]

Member ID:50906Country:[​IMG][CHN] CHNRanking:5 (60033.975)

Record 0 - 0

8. undeadshot

Yes, it was an official game at the East Asian Games last year, not not-BWF sanctioned. Choi Ho Jin defeated Lin Dan to claim the gold medal in the individual event in straight games, with a score of 21-18; 21-19. But Lin Dan was definitely no where near his best, he was battling fatigue and tiredness and was basically dragged to a rubber game almost every match he played. It was a wonder that he still made the final. Since then, a rematch is almost impossible because Choi Ho Jin can never escape the qualifying rounds! :p

Anyway, you want to find out about SECOND best, so let's talk less about Lin Dan! :D

9. eaglehelang

Hahaha, where have you been? I thought all BC members know about this.
    CHJ beat LD during East Asian Games in Dec 2009 :
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...FC3D0F-DED0-4C32-80D7-72833082FABE&d=20091213

Of course East Asia Games is not BWF sanctioned, neither is SEA (South East Asia) Games or Asian Games

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thats the fact. Now you know not everything is on TS

I still suspect that TH must have played more againts the top players during 2002 - 2003, but as you can see on TS there is very little/no record about TH againts those player during those yrs

So whats the answer does Mr. Choi top the list?? Perhaps the answer will be the same if you look at MD, WS, WD and XD

BTW, does anyone know if Roger Federer has 100% H2H record againt top tennis players???

#50 Yoppy, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  11. freelast

freelast Regular Member

that's what i meant. Don't count the records even not counted by BWF. Those matches are either private, or limited locally, if counted, would be unfair to all the players. Let's just count the fair, open matches. I read LD even lost to some China local club players in local competitions. Aslo as some experts here mentioned, those players even do not have 2nd chance to play LD anymore, thus the statistics doesn't make any sense because it's not repeatable. Let's stick to the BWF offical records, then the world becomes much cleaner and easier. :)

12. eaglehelang

THe match stats are on Tournament software but not on BWF H2H thingy. But here in BC, we got discusss SEA Games stats before when refering to related players.
    In that case,Asian Games later this year also cannot count as it's not in BWF list, but AG is considered one of 4 major tourney by Asia players.:p
    If I not mistaken, AG dont have to follow WR to enter, so it's possible for low ranking players to meet high ranking ones. ;);)

13. undeadshot

So, are you discounting wins in AG? (Most notably TH 1 and LD 2 in AG 2006) Which is counted as a major tourney for Asian badminton lovers because it is not BWF sanctioned? So, are we not supposed to count the Olympics? It's still an official match, both players are still trying their best. Are we going to not give credit to LD for his 2 wins over TH in the 2006 AG? Are we not going to give credit to KKK/TBH who won the Asian Gold medal because its unfair for other players? These tourneys are recognized worldwide, as shown in BC 2010 tournament forums. It's not some silly club game where anyone can lose and win. It's official.

Then and again, I can see your point. It becomes messy for the H2H record as it is shrouded in uncertainty, isn't it? :) Sorry if I came off sounding harsh at the top, I don't mean any ill-intent, just adding for the sake of argument.

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    if you didn't mention you hit 1000 post i also didn't know i just double you lol

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

East Asian Games is a private/limited/local????? you must be joking right??
    LD also missing so many tournament, does it make a fair judgement on the record???
    All we can say is LD has better H2H record compare to others, full stop and nothing more.

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

hahaha what a timing :)

17. eaglehelang

Hmm, isnt H2H about how many times Player A meet Player B in International tournaments, stats of who won, who lost. It's about them vs each other, at international level, not about type of tournament.

If we're basing the hmmm...status on titles won, then yes, there's much to debate about.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is not easy to start a player's ranking based on his Head-to-Head records

BWF World Ranking is fairer, cleaner and easier to use/read than the Head-to-Head Results. BWF gives us both the World Ranking positions and the Head-to-Head records.

BWF World Ranking is updated every week, whether players participate in the the latest tournaments or not. The Head-to-Head Results are updated only when players participate.

IMHO, it is difficult/messy/disorderly to start a player's ranking based on his Head-to-Head records.

19. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    For sure the official ranking will remain the best one but another type of ranking based on H2H can be an interesting stats tool :)

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Use the Head-to-Head Records to find out who has defeated who in past matches

That's what I meant;

Use the BWF World Rankings to find out who is the best player in the world.

Use the Head-to-Head Records to find out who has defeated who in past matches.