REVIEW: Alpha Shuttle Express Stringing Machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 6, 2009.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here are the photos of the mounting as promised. sorry not very clear, but hope you get the idea!

Attached Files:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i got it from Alpha directly.

3. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

hi Kwun, from the picture, it seems that you have trimmed the horizontal bar of your ASE ? because I saw the bar is thinner.

4. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Thanks Jerby :)

Well I never really had solid experience with welding. plus the last time I try to weld the machine was not in good condition so I had hard time welding.

I like your idea to use bolt instead of welding. I think it will look cleaner too.
    I understand what you mean in option one, I think that is actually the best solution but I need to find someone who can make that.

no need to say sorry, I actually like it even more :) well I used to make custom part for my car long time ago.. hopefully it can be useful to custom make for this too. lol if i'm crazy enough might even try to figure out adjustable height one :D.

However at the moment I only have the HQ stringing machine.. I don't have the Wise yet so its kind of hard to measure things up. I had a look at Tennishead for Wise pricing, they don't mention price for the Australia but if I remember correctly someone make enquiry and was told its much more expensive :(

By the way thanks Kwun for pointing out the thread moved here. I thought I was lost at previous thread..

5. ae86trueno

Lol..I got feeling he might actually attempt this in future.. ;)

6. ae86trueno

Thanks Kwun for the photos. I thought when you said you drill 3 holes for Wise mounting, I was thinking the holes might weaken the bar alot but now I see its a small holes.. pretty surprised actually for tensioning that goes to 60lbs (?) it only has 3 small holes that hold it.

I was thinking of that too... if the horizontal bar is trimmed and drilling 3 holes, will this weaken the bar alot?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i didn't trim the bar. the bar in comparison is much thinner than the wise mounting so it looks thin in the photo.

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

If you really wanted the simple solution for getting perfect 360 rotation I would reccomend getting a mounting bar fabricated, or modifying your current one, however if you do that there's no going back.

I have some pictures but ill explain it too, basically shave a few mm off the bar, the length of the wise unit to "drop" it and let it sit lower "in the bar" I honestly dont think there will be any structural compromise here because at any given time there is only 40lb max being pull across this steel/iron bar, and we're only shaving a few mm away from it. Then redrill all your mounting holes and you're done!

Attached Files:

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the simple solution would be to raise the turntable by raising the side mounts. that works for me.

machining the horizontal bar is ok. but you are talking about some really heavy duty stainless steel here. it took me well over a minute or two to drill each hole. it is some strong stuff. if you have access to a milling machine, or sand/water cutter, then i think it is OK to do. otherwise, forget about doing it.

i forgot to take a photo of the shaft/gripper clearance. will take some tonight after badminton.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Dang it! I miss all the good action here. :crying:

11. ae86trueno

Hi Pete, you never miss anything :D hop in and join us :D:D so when the 60lbs? ;):D

12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Eh, sure ;) . . . On a tennis racket . . . ha ha ha

13. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

your drawing gave me idea ........ just buy a stainless-steel plate-strip and do fabrication as per your drawing and keep the original one along with the crank.

14. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    That is awesome. Congrats in finally buying a machine. It is the best long term badminton investment you can make!

15. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

imo getting a strip milled/drilled is easier than getting that riser made. Maybe if that rise was one piece, milled it would be easy. Either way yes, a machinist would be required. The bar looked like a chrome plated piece of iron/steel to me. I drilled through an eagnas base plate with ease on a drill press, and that place is probably 1/8+" thick.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's possible. i think you can probably get that done in China for $10.

17. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sorry, I was a little late on riser issue. From Kwun's first picture and I use it and circle in red, there are 2 bolts mount the turning mech to the base and 2 bolts mount the top bar to the turning head. Can we open them up and see if there is a thread for the bolts to mount them in? If yes, you need to drill 2 holes at higher location and thread them on the other side with the tool you can buy at Home depot, Lowes or Sears. If not, just move the bar and tighten the bolts again.

Attached Files:

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have opened them before.

there are threads and they are in the horizontal bar.

i orginally was going to say that there isn't much space to move them. but then i realized that all it need is around 5mm. which is probably ok. might be a bit too close to the edge though. it will take drilling a hole and then buying/borrowing a thread cutter.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is my solution to raising the racket. did one racket with it. seems ok. i think i can do with less raise though.

Attached Files:

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    with all these poison feeding. i am surprised you haven't been totally overdosed with it yet.