Rexy cracks whip

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by george@chongwei, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..just my 5 rupiahs..

..from what i've read in the article, and this is something that many of us probably realized, i think what Rexy is doing or trying to instill in his top MD pair are focus and an attitude of seriousness/taking nothing for granted..Rexy felt it after their AE and Swiss Open titles last yr, and sure is, his gut feeling came to reality as his young MD pair struggled throughout the rest of the year (many threads/articles touched on this, in BC as well)..But the good thing is, they still have time to correct whatever defiencies/weaknesses/flaws there are in their armor before the Beijing Olympics rolls around..:cool:
    :)..maybe it's not popular in this forum, but i know our Pemuda is surely the one dishing out "the intense criticism in everything they do"..;):cool:
    ..i think some INA fans, esp. in this forum, do "criticize" their players, to an extent..But perhaps they're not so "vocal" or "critical", as much as M'sian fans, because maybe there are much more M'sian fans in here..;)

#21 ctjcad, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I meant not only fans but media & Government, in which the Indonesians have already said it's not as critical as Msia media & government.
    From the Indonesia articles I've read online, their media not so critical. Indonesia forum members also say their government doesnt pressure as hard as Msia. Doesnt mean no pressure, just not as hard

Fans = I also take into account fans response outside the forum in Msia. The general public (90%) are also critical, lose one time - "they no use one lah." LCW lost SemiF Denmark open due to knee injury, no sympathies at all, say he's whining <Sigh>
    Indonesia BC members also say we Msia fans are very critical, after comparing Indonesia fans response outside the forum.

Read the article in Utusan Msia in the Msia Open 2008 thread, this year Rexy started off with asking everyone not to put too much pressure on the players as it will cause them to panic & lose.
    Read TBH's responses, it's very obvious he's effected by the pressure, not surprising considering his inexperience & personality (Pemuda will have another field say with this).

#22 eaglehelang, Jan 3, 2008
  3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-Critical in what way??..

..are you referring/comparing "critical" as in something similar to..... Pemuda's "critical" p.o.v.(point of view)?!:confused:..:p;)
    In INA's case, true, I would say the "criticisms" (media, govt., fans) are there but more subtle and tend to be on the "concerned" side.
    *I know you probably understand most of the Indonesian language, so if you like you can go to an INA-based badminton related website, one of a few out there, www.bulutangkis.com and read some of the articles in there; mostly related to INA badminton.(not sure if you've been there or not):cool:

#23 ctjcad, Jan 3, 2008
  4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

On your reference to the 4 Lahaye temperaments and your massive search on the internet, I must say you indeed used one brush to paint an entire potrait. Firstly Ms , you do not know me. We aint no childhood buddies nor have we ever met. As such, your application of the 4 treatments are flawed. Instead what you actually did was you made an "assumption" that I will still be negative over KKK/TBH even if they land that OG. For someone who claimed to be in the working circle for sometime and having attended numerous courses, I find it unbelievable to say the least.

Malaysia excelling in equesterian!?? You mean by winning some gold medal in the SEA games competing against the likes of Brunei, Laos, Cambodia ... to you is excelling??
    Sailing ... you consider Malaysia a powerhouse in this sport??? Hmmm ... how come I dont read Malaysia making waves in the sailing world???

You mentioned too much pressure will lead to our sports people buckling under pressure. Well, I put to you tennis and football as an example because there are no pressure there. Our tennis players are not expected to win. They have no pressure whatsoever etc. Our football team were not expected to win the Asian Cup, no pressure again ... but look what happened??

Just because you dont see any Indonesian being critical about Indonesia players in this forum, you make an assumption that Indonesians in general are supportive of their badminton players and have less expectations??? :eek:

Whether Hafiz is with Nusa Mahsuri or Mickey Mouse club, it does not matter. The point is the lad is still not producing despite the public expecting him to deliver nothing in each tournament. He has no pressure at all to deliver. In every tournament, our eyes are on LCW not Hafiz. So in terms of pressure Hafiz got it pretty easy .... as such, with no pressure at all, how come the lad is still not delivering??

#24 Pemuda, Jan 3, 2008
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Eerrmm..^^

..eaglehelang is a she:p...She's not a "dude":p...Perhaps a "dudette"?!..;)

#25 ctjcad, Jan 3, 2008
  6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Ohhh yes... just checked the profile. My mistake.

It should be "Ms" then.

7. indra

indra Regular Member

The more pressure the Malaysian pairs receive from their coaches, media, fans, and public, the better it will be for Ina pairs...because usually the Malaysian pairs do not perform well when they are under pressure.

8. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

After our last Thomas Cup win back in 1992, our government rewarded our shuttlers big time. Made them millionaires overnight and all. But how come despite such a good motivation and recognition by Malaysia, our shuttlers went into a free fall after that???

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

But like that how to be champion? How to win that Olympic gold in Beijing?? Want to be a champion and win that Olympic gold sure have to face up to pressure and thrive on it.

In Beijing, we cannot just empty out the entire stadium, change the umpires and line judges to Malaysians whenever Malaysia shuttlers take to the court, right???

10. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    what i've said is going to happen.
    its too clear.now u will debate(not argument) about the same issue with no points n confused other ppls.maybe in 3 pages.

good luck.i'll stay out of this.

11. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

From the KLRC players, Lee TS, Sairol, Roslin, CCE/KLRC partner, Joanne Quay, Lim Pek Siah - in terms of pressure, less. Other than LTS,they dont shine either - other than age factor,
    Hafiz is dubbed yo-yo King here, tak kuasa want to waste some more energy talking about him. Think about CCE/CCM re-partnering again better.
    Yes, yes, the rewarding part. That was 15 years ago. Coach was different, management was different (though not necessary better)
    Current Rewards scheme, some countries have surpassed us. Currently, Msia's rewards for OG gold = RM160K, far less than Spore, Korea (it was reported in the newspapers). RM160K want to buy new teres house also not enuf. Spore is S$1 million.
    SEA Games reward payment, Indonesia even higher than Singapore after exchange rates(read the SEA Games thread).

Back to KKK/TBH, in this aspect, Rexy wouldnt let them become big headed to avoid any form of free falling, whether from the sky or mountain ;)

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

From my readings of Pemuda's posts so far, he is critical of Koo/Tan mainly because of Koo's image (ear-rings, show-off attitude, etc, which I stress may not reflect his true character of course). Once the tendency to be Becham-esque sets in, Pemuda thinks that they will not achieve big things.

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

IMHO, pressure can work both ways....one is to motivate oneself to achieve the target, but, it can also backfire.

Just look at Rexy's infamous comments on having 4 MD in the WC Semi-Finals last year...it was supposed to be a pressure to the players to perform their best....yet...it backfired and they failed to perform.

I am also inclined to agree with eaglehelang that one has the tendency to perform well when he/she is not under pressure....just try your best :rolleyes:

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Easier said than done IMHO. Look at Lin Dan. He crumbled under intense pressure in the Olympics 2004, World Championships 2005, and Asian Games 2006. He also admitted that the pressure got in to him which was partly the cause of his defeat too.

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Neither does INA players perform when they are under pressure (e.g. it happened to Markis-Kido, Taufik) - in fact it applies to everyone.

Who can really say he is not affected by any sort of pressure ? Pressure can can play havoc on your mind, sometimes it helps you to perform better but most times it affects our thinking, which then degrades our performance.

But let me say that as we get more pressure, we also learn how to handle the pressure. Experience, hence, comes from handling the pressure. One can say KKK-TBH have learned a lot from the past, and definitely, they are no longer the novices they were. So I would not discount them for the Olympics gold by the fact that they would have gained from all 'these pressures' they went through.;)

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    OG04, LD was young and ranked #1, and I am with you on LD shock defeat. But I am not too sure you can say LD crumbled under pressure in WC05 (I was watching live in Anaheim and I was surprised and disappointed with the easiness that TH defeated LD as I was anticipating a great match) and in AG06, sure great player wants the gold but being runner-up and losing to TH who was in great form at that time is not too shabby.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I am with you when player/players are ranked at the top, expectations to win comes with the territory, one cannot have it both ways i.e. get paid and yet not expected to win. But I do notice that LCW plays better when he is the underdog to win. And talking about pressure in OG08, the one player with the most pressure to win is LD and nobody else comes even close.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Err...Taufik Hidayat has lost to Lin Dan in the two previous group matches in Asian Games 2006. It was the other way round....it was shocking that Lin Dan lost the Gold Medal Individual Event match :rolleyes:

19. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Firstly, I like your creativity in the cut and paste department. No punt intended. Just that I need to put on my rayban to read your posting.

Hey Ms, no prob with me if you loyar buruk. Its a free world, go ahead. Doesnt mean that I will follow suit, right?

Yes, my comments about KKK/TBH have always been straight forward. I see them as flash in the pan. Yes, they have won the All England, AG gold etc etc but I see tendencies of showboating and big headedness in KKK, especially. Believe Rexy have taken KKK to task a couple of times on these issues. They fell apart in last year WC in KL and I am predicting that they will fall apart again in Beijing this year. And I stand corrected.

But KKK/TBH apart, I think highly of WMC because I like her dedication and fighting spirit. Yes, she may not win often... infact it is very rare she will win a tournament, but I like her work rate. You may refer to some of my postings on WMC.

As for Malaysian equesterian, if you say they are excelling because there are no expectations and pressure, how come we are not making waves in the world when it comes to equestrian??

For sailing, there is no pressure but how come we are nowhere in the world?? Expensive sport? I dont buy your argument about the government not willing to support this sport. Fyi, Malaysia is a rich country. We are a petroleum exporting nation and Petronas makes RM80billion/year. If we can spend RM100 million to buy a ticket off the Russians for a space trip what is providing a few RM millions to the sport??? The question is do we have world class sailors?? Do note : world class not SEA games class type of sailors. There is a big difference.

And with regards to your "criteria are fulfilled- have the skills, talent,work hard." Let me assure you our footballers are just as skillful and talented. And they do work hard. The difference is the mentality. You can have the best skills, talent and train hard but if you have a poor mentality, it wont take you nowhere. Other than having the right mentality, skills, talent and working hard ... we also must have the right set up to hone and develop talent. If you put monkeys to administer our sports associations , at best you will get a zoo.

In football for example, there is no reason for Malaysia to not do well. We have good stadiums and technically gifted players. But we need to address the mentality and FAM set up.

On your "Tennis : are we any good in tennis in the 1st place, skill wise? <Shrug>" .... before you ask this question, have you look at the development of tennis in Malaysia?

So, your conclusion about Indonesians not having high expectations of their shuttlers are based on feedback you read in this forum and some Indonesian friends of yours?? :eek:

Whether Hafiz is dubbed yo-yo king or not is irrelevant if based on your less pressure , better performance argument. The lad is not expected to win, and thus no pressure on him to deliver. But where is HAfiz today??? How come with less pressure, he is still delivering a zero?

Pertaining to the reward system, are you saying that if we put up a prize of say USD1 million, our shuttlers will bring back that elusive OG gold?? Money can buy success??? Hmmm ... I wonder whether Denmark splashed out big time when Paul Erik Hoyer Larsen took that Olympic gold in 1994??

#39 Pemuda, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

My dear friend,

Lin Dan won 2 WCs and 22 World Grand Prix titles. For a 25 year old lad, it would be a fair statement to say he has been consistent.

You mentioned WC 2005, but you forgot about WC 2006 & 2007. ;) How many shuttlers out there have won the WC back to back??? And mind you this is the WC we are talking about, not the Phillippines Open ok?