how to clear smashes from opponents effectively...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by YiuSan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. vorxaw

vorxaw Regular Member

a good tip i was taught was to have the BASE of your thumb firmly on the grip as well, not just the tip of the thumb touching,(so your entire thumb is flush against the grip) makes your shot more solid, the smash wont rattle your racket, and you can reply with ease.

2. Furtil

Furtil Regular Member

student
    Bad idea. If your whole thumb is on the racket you won't be able to push with it, use grip tightening, or apply the additional rotation power that it can provide.

My smash defense is simply the basic grip which allow me to use all the methods I listed above as well as covering the forehand and left hand. I hold the racket low in front on me, but usually a bit toward the forehand side.

3. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    Not sure if you learnt doubles footwork. Offensive Position ie: You are performing drop shot, smash, net, or short serve you and your partner stand front and back

Whereas in defence ie: clear, lift you stand side by side to take smashes or drop shots from the opponent.

Not that i'm saying YOU HAVE to have your racquet below your waist to return smash normally a strong player's smash is very sharp not flat if it is flat smash then take advantage.

Quote: You shouldn't really be making much of a swing with your arm, just a firm flick of the wrist coupled with a small arm movement should be enough.

If you take smash you should have some sort of arm movement so that when you strike the shuttle your arm will move so that the shuttle will be high above and land on the opponent's baseline.
    Flick is more like in singles whereas your opponent smash you on the side of the court you slightly flick your wrist so that the shuttle can just nick over the net.

Note: I'm not sure if i explained very well because doubles and singles method of returning smash are totally different