Yu Yang quits badminton over disqualification

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by vip_m, Aug 1, 2012.

1. erpepaulus

erpepaulus Regular Member

Student
    Jan O JORGENSEN on his sport's controversy: "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

2. etudiant

etudiant Regular Member

I dunno whether to sad or glad that she's gone...

3. purextc69

purextc69 Regular Member

I wouldn't have blamed any of the athletes. The decision to play like that would of come from higher. But the problem is her lack of intelligence in her response to being kicked out. Apologise and move on. If she cannot see that she damaged badminton and ruined a lot of peoples day out who payed a lot of money, and then thinks that something like this wouldn't happen, she is completely retarded.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Why was she made the scapegoat (to quit)? Why not WXL? Is it because she receive first in the match instead of WXL?

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is my take on it.
    • The rule that you must play to your best abilities has always, always been part of badminton. This is not something new and is actually a requirement of many sports. All players should and not least those in the professional world, know this.
    • Just because other competitions had effectively turned a blind eye to match fixing, does this mean it is ok to do this? This is the Olympic Games for goodness sake! How many people would give an arm and a leg to be in their position? How much time, money and effort has been spent to give them the opportunity to compete? All those who were involved in organising, planning, implementing the games must feel bitterly shortchanged and none more so than the fans.
    • The players in concern had a choice, they were warned by officials but continued. Do they really believe they could get away with it?
    • It's a very sad affair that she has decided to quit on the back of this (if true). But what she probably doesn't realise is that if she quits now, how will she be remembered in years to come? For being a badminton legend or that person who cheated in the LOG? Surely, quitting now and saying it was the fault of the officials is not going to do her reputation any good. It's very unprofessional and immature. The best thing for her to do now is to realise and admit she has made a huge mistake, seek forgiveness, move on and compete properly in Rio.
    • However, the saddest thing about this fiasco is that it has now put Badminton at risk of being omitted as an Olympic sport in future Olympic Games. To me this is the biggest disappointment.

6. RiverGrande

RiverGrande Regular Member

Student
    So sad to see one of the greatest WD player i've ever see end her career with shameful tragedy :(

7. littlebro

littlebro Regular Member

I am sure as a Brit you must have heard Bert and Dickie's story. What is your take there?

8. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    if olympic get booted out, many thanks to china

9. erpepaulus

erpepaulus Regular Member

Student
    Because Yu Yang already have a gold and will retire soon anyway.

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Ashamedly, I had not heard about this story until you mentioned it. A quick google and I think I've got the gist. Difficult to comment without knowing all the facts and the circumstances in which it happened, nor do I know the rules of the sport that were current at the time. But I will say this, I don't agree with match fixing, or cheating of any sort.

Sticking with what I know, badminton, things that are borderline cheating in my view are mind games, changing shuttles, saying you weren't ready to receive serve etc.

I'm probably seen as foolish, but I would prefer to lose a game than to win one unfairly, I get no satisfaction out of say, trying to catch the receiver of my serve unready.

11. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Well with her apparent grasp on reality she probably thinks she has a career as a swimsuit model lined up.

12. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

What is with all these silly personal attacks? This happens in every sport, am I wrong???

Get off your high horses please.

She did what she thought was the best for her country, simple.

13. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

That would make you very happy, wouldn't it?

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Maybe.

So, you can now claim you have 50 LCW, and 200 WD pairs in making, and prepare to dominate the sport for the next 100 years all you want now. Oh, btw, they will all be honest, help each other while spread out the common wealth, and give 150% on every single game, even the backyard practices.

Sure, I will try to believe that as well, as there's no "testing ground" any more.

15. thunder.tw

Yes you are wrong. It doesn't happen in every sport.

No she cheated, simple. Now she's DQ'd. And, if you want to invoke this 'did it for her country' tripe then have a good look and how her country is thanking her.

16. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

True,
    It wasn't what was best for the sport though. In fact it was terrible for the sport.

17. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

@ thunder.tw

Don't be native, sports and betting go hand in hand. When there is money involved, everything is murky.
    Football, tennis, horse racing, snooker ... they are all clean, are they?

When you are a pawn, there is little choice, that is life.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That's the cruel part, and that's why I say she's facing a lose lose situation to begin with.

Because besides the 7 other ladies (and coaches), all of us fans only need to sit in a well AC room with our fancy PC and smart phones, and riding our high moral horse, and acting like internet tough guy.

I call these "political correctness". Sure, I cannot debate over it, but in reality, the talkers do not contribute to the society, but the do-ers (even though they do fail in some fashions) will or, at least tried...

19. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

Actually, may not be so terrible apart from the apparent bad press. Just to be cheeky, badminton never even made international headlines. As they say, any publicity is good publicity.

On a serious note, Li Yongbo would go after the Olympics. "He is ready to to face his responsibility after the games", this is good for the sport, surely.

20. thunder.tw

Well then sport put your money where your mouth is. Tennis you say? Great please give me some examples of where this occurred in Tennis.