Any rules on who should make line call first on club level play?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jaxewong, Jun 2, 2013.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This may sound a bit silly, but I know for sure there are times when the player who has hit the bird is in a better position to judge if the shot lands in or out. Especially in singles, when hitting straight down the line.

I've experienced some instances where the opponent calls it out, and I just smile and move on. If the opponent is a good friend, we'd kinda work it out. If not, I just move on. Life is full of grey areas, and a line call in a friendly match is pretty low on my list of priorities. ;)

2. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

The way I was taught to deal with line calls is generally you accept what ever call the receiving player makes. If you believe your opponent has made the wrong call there is nothing wrong with asking him politely if he was sure about his call. If he reaffirms his call you accept it.

This really isn't on topic though. Errors will be made and if you can't accept that you should probably play ping pong. Regardless, someone in the habit of calling any shot they are unsure of 'out', is nobody I want to have a game with. Friendly or otherwise.

#22 thunder.tw, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Understandable. I hate playing against players who cheat on line calls to. When that happens, I just make it a point to remind myself to give myself more margin and not to hit too close to the lines.

But what if he calls a let because it looks like the cork may or may not have touched the line on the outside edge? Especially when it was a fast shot like a smash.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I think when making line calls, angle plays a huge huge factor in it. I remember when I service judged a junior match, I saw a shot that I totally saw was completely out, like not without a doubt in my mind. The line judge called it in, I had a talk with the line judge and a few spectators nearby, it was 50/50 in what they saw the shot was. The line judge and the near spectators saw it was totally in, while some others thought it was totally out.

In high school from where I am from, and around the region, if you are unsure, like someone mentioned above, you assume it is a good shot.

But as a technical official, if the line judge is unsure, and we are unsure, we'd play a let. And it makes sense that you should replay the point. In the end, the match could have come down to that one point that no one is 100% sure if it was in or out. I feel it's the safer option.

5. thunder.tw

May or may not have doesn't sound like he is very sure does it? How is it fair to take away a point from a player on the basis of a guess??

How is a let a fair result? So, my opponent makes a brilliant play forcing me to make a short lift which he smashes to the back corner. So as long as I can say there is a chance the shuttle maybe, could have, might have gone out by a micrometer or so I can save my A$$ and call a let?

6. thunder.tw

that is an honest error in perception. But not relevant as you were in a formal match with a judge who is responsible for line calls. Spectators should keep their mouths shut. That being said, in a match where LCW is playing LD I feel pretty confident I could predict how a Malay spectator would see it.

Again a judged match is a different ball of wax. I'm actually curious what the official rules are in such a situation. I can't remember ever hearing of a let being given in world competition.

#26 thunder.tw, Jun 24, 2013
  7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Very rare but there have been a few lets called by the umpire on line calls further away from him when the line judge indicates he's unsighted (eg. by the player) and can't make a call. Don't ask me when... probably seen it in world competition less than 5 times in the past 5 years. :)

#27 visor, Jun 24, 2013
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Solution: Body-smash. :D

If you as the smasher also think the cork may or may not have etc etc, then how can you expect him to know for sure? Maybe he's just being honest....

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, that'll work for a short while... but then I'll probably get tired of apologizing for hitting him after the tenth time... ;) :p

I still say in casual play to call let if either side can't tell for sure.

10. thunder.tw

This is not a question of whether the shuttle is actually in or out. The receiver has the responsibility to make the call. How can any person reasonably call a shot 'out' when they are unsure. You know damn well when you are sure of something and when you are not. So, if you are unsure of a shot and you make a habit of calling 'out' or for a let you are a cheater and hardly 'honest'. And, if you are actually attempting to call lines that closely, then you are taking a casual club game far to seriously.

The only circumstance I'll accept a let is under the following sequence of events or something similar;

1. Receiver makes a call
    2. Opposing player disagrees
    3. Receiver reaffirms his call
    4. Opposing player is to big of a jerk to let it go.
    5. In order to avoid an argument a let is reasonable.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    In doubles, if one player thinks it is out, and one player from the other side thinks it is in, then a third player from either side should mediate and call it a let ASAP and move on.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No matter how honest and well-intentioned the players are there willl always be disputes. Unless it is strictly a game among very understanding and cordial friends meant to be just a social outing. There must be the element of give and take.

Even qualified line judges watching the line can make errors which have to be overruled by the Umpire.
    So expect social players to make mistakes, especially those that are not near where the shuttle has landed or even a player near it but was distracted by his own movement, etc. Remember optical illusion is still present and for players who attempt to make a good call when he is on the other side of the court is more suspect than one on the same side the shuttle landed.

If it is a formal tournament, even a friendly club game, both sides can agree to have their players act as line judges. Better still have players watch over their opponents' lines to avoid disagreement. Otherwise agree that the side nearest the shuttle that makes the decision should be accepted.

#32 Loh, Jun 24, 2013
  13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

in a friendly match/club training game, i call the shots of which i'm unsure in favor of my opponent. always!

in tournaments/league play, i must admit that it depends on the opponent! after some years in the same region, i know which opponents are nice and fair, and i treat them as friends, which means i treat them like friends in a friendly match. in doubt, i call in their favor.

i must admit, to my disgrace, that there are some opponents against whom i call close/unsure shots out. they do the same on the other side (and sometimes they even call obv good shots out), therefore my bad conscience is silenced...

14. visor

visor Regular Member

^ I admit I hate playing against line call cheaters, but I can never stoop down to their level.

I just accept that it is just their very nature that in the heat of the battle may bring out the worst or the best in us... but I'll never do what they do. Where will it end?

To compensate, I just make it a point to myself to not hit so close to the lines. Simple as that. :)

#34 visor, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  15. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    Luckily there are not too many of these rude guys on the court.

This is our tournament rule in our international youth tournaments (national teams level), when there are no line judges in the first rounds:
    - in general the player on which side the bird lands makes the call
    - if the opponent disagrees the players have to find a common call or let
    - if no agreement is found, the game has to be replayed

This means that the player who leads the game will more likely tend to accept a point in disadvantage if the alternative is to restart the game.
    Interesting observation: most diagreements happen in girls singles :eek:

#35 Hagen, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    hahahaaaaa... funny

17. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i've never called a let in any games i've played, if it looked close and my opponent called it out, then i will tell myself, gotta place it cleaner next time, in singles and doubles. there are times, like mentioned above, when i smash straight down the line, i have a better angle to see if the shuttle was out or not, and if it's out but my opponent calls it in, i would still call it out. just because i hate knowing the fact that i know for sure it's out, but i get a point anyway, it's not the right way to win in my honest opinion.

i do like the ping pong idea tho :)

18. thunder.tw

Holy crap! If I played in a competition under that rule I would never lose a match. If my opponent hit 18 points with any kind of lead over me I would find away to dispute every line call after that point. It's an idiot rule and the final call should go to the receiving side I can't see how that is a worse option than replaying the game.

As I've said before, my comments are for casual non-competitive play. If you are finding yourself using lets in such play you are being way too uptight about calling lines. I hate people that try to win casual matches with their microscopes and their lawyers rather than with their racquets.

19. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that if a game is being replayed, a judge is present for the rest of the match. So, sorry friend, you would still lose ;)
    And please be a bit careful calling it an 'idiot' rule - your suggestion is worse than our rule, because if the receiving side has always the right to make the final call, we would give all a$$holes a better chance to cheat and annoy the good ones.
    Regarding non-competitive games I would not play with those people.

20. thunder.tw

Well I can't read your mind can I?

Er.. I wasn't actually being serious.

As you presented it was/is a dumb rule which can still be exploited in numerous ways and is far from fair. For example if I am losing but, I see that my opponent is running out of steam all I need to do is dispute a line call and have the game start over.

In competitions where the organizers choose not to have line judges present, the receiving player is still the one to make the final call. As I mentioned earlier, the opponent can still challenge the call but final say goes to the receiver. Wouldn't giving the players the option of requesting a line judge at any point be better than replaying a match? Your rule is so bad that I actually consider allowing for a let a far better option. Nothing makes a bad idea look better than a horrible idea.

Anyways, you are talking about competition badminton which is a different circumstance altogether (there is actually something at stake).

#40 thunder.tw, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013