Yonex new racket is coming: Nanoray Z speed!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kumache, May 29, 2013.

1. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

i'm liking it so far!

i wouldnt say its something for everyone to rush for, but it is interesting to try.
    just two hours with it today here are my observations :

1) the FRAME is STIFF!! which made me regret the stringing at 26lbs which rendered the bed a little "dead" feeling unless i hit really hard. on thinner flexible frames, going to super high tensions feels good, but not on a solid stiff frame, wooden board feel.

2) it is by far the best NR to me so far, but it is NOT a ns9900 replacement in terms of feel. the ns9900 was even balanced and very stiff, the nrzspeed feels a tad headheavy. the nr800/700RP felt hollow, the nrzspeed feels solid.

3) agility.. the nrzspeed is top notch in this aspect, it makes the ns9900 feels unwieldy and slow

4) i could not feel the "11% increase in sweetspot", the smaller frame is still a smaller frame

5) timing issues, not so much like with the zslash, this was quite easy to adapt to

6) smash? its not a racquet with which you can easily get good smashes with. it calls for some technique specifics, unlike the at700 or vt80 where its so easy to plough into the shuttle for a smash. i think the speed and all that is part of a hype. i currently smash harder with a vt80 or an at700 than on the zspeed.

7) the biggest joy in the z-speed is tapping to kill (点杀)or similar shot types, drives were fantastic

8) hitting directly in the middle of the racquet face doesnt feel really powerful, but if your contact point is in the upper half of the sweetspot.. its.. crunchy, snappy and delicious.

9) headheaviness - on hand it feels headheavy, but when swinging it just doesnt seem to interfere with the agility etc. this is a sigh of relief. since i'm used to a swing headweight of 43-44grams usually, this racquet at over 42 grams doesnt feel difficult to handle.

these are just preliminary observations, i might not have been in the best form today, and do take my reviews with some subjectivity as well. i think of this to be a fantastic doubles racquet and will be continuing to use it for the next month and beyond.

2. samsudds

samsudds Regular Member

Engineer
    Just got my ZSP today's morning. Gonna try it out tonight. Hopefully could het along well with her and having great chemistry....

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Vajrasattva, which racket would you consider similar to the ZSpeed? For me, it feels like it swings like a heavy 3U MX80 and in between a 4U and 3U VZTF.

Yes, it's that stiff and HH. :eek:

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I really don't know where this 11% figure has come from, myself. The cross strings in the HAC area have been extended by... what? 7-8 mm each? Max? Surely the effect of having shorter mains (because of the small head) nullifies this, if not counteracts it!

5. visor

visor Regular Member

You mean you actually pay attention to Yonex's claims of 9% more torsion stability, 7% more smash force, and 5% more this and that? ;) :D

6. victan93

victan93 Regular Member

student
    Used my 3U NRZSP another 3 hours today.Overall performance is good, quicker smash but not powerful. Suggest for those who want to get a NRZSP go for the 2U because you will not feel any head heavy when smash, I felt that when you using 2U, u will feel like using an 3U racquet. I am enjoy with the lightness head heavy NRZSP to apply drop shot and net shot, that's amazing. But anyway, I am quite upset with the painting, it's not durable. But conclude, it's a nice racquet for those who like light racquet with massive smash. Enjoy it.=)

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Was just at the store to pick up my re-strung racket. So had a go at this racket again.

Yep, same conclusion as yesterday. If anyone tells you that it's agile and fast and balanced, you better ask them which racket they're comparing to. ;) Bet you they're referring to 3U VTZF or AT700. ;)

In my hands the 3U VTZF was a beast to handle, so I'd say this racket is the beast's younger brother. :p

#567 visor, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  8. Notorious544d

Notorious544d Regular Member

Student (college)
    Checked Direct Sports to see if they'd started stocking it and damn... £190 :eek:

Don't they usually cut 20% off the RRP?

Anyways, Visor's opinion on the NZS worries me now. I currently use a NS9900 and following earlier reports of this supposedly being its successor, a baby VZF is very scary thought!
    I really want to demo this racket. Does anybody know any stores in London that allow you to demo rackets?

9. Mike1337

Mike1337 Regular Member

Its a brand new racket so no discount atm.

Tennis Nuts have a hitting room.

10. Notorious544d

Notorious544d Regular Member

Student (college)
    Damn, that's too far. Are there any in east or central London?

11. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Is there a market for a stiff+, headlight racket though, that's the question I'm asking myself.

In other words, where was Yonex going to go after the NR800? Would Nanoray/Nanospeed lovers flock to a "Z-Ray" - a small ISO head, headlight (290ish) racket?

I should pose this question on the WL facebook page, and see what everyone thinks...

12. vajrasattva

you have to compare it in play!

i have to say that the vt80 and the vtzf themselves are quite "agile/quick" to get into position, but often the head heaviness does affect the quality of the shot when the game becomes speedy.

i dont feel the same problem with the zspeed, getting into position, catching shots at all awkward/challenging angles was much better.

and surprise surprise.. the Zspeed's head is smaller than the Zforce head. ;)

13. lucky5508

lucky5508 Regular Member

Have tried NRZSP yesterday evening. Double for 2hrs. Even though the BP is around 300mm, I dont feel that the head is that heavy. Maybe the high BP is due to the length of handle. Compared to NS9900, the length of handle has been reduced a lot. But compared to VTZF and TI10, the handle is longer about 1-3mm. So, when i swing it, it feels like using a slightly heavier even balance racket. In term of power, it is quite similar to TI-10. Your smash is fast but not as powerful as VTZF. What i mean is the smash generated by VTZF is harder for opponent to lift up/ return back high (need good wrist power). For NRZSP, it is more on speed. Opponent needs to response faster. It is actually quite stiff but not as stiff as VTZF and TI10.

The frame size is small, very similar to ARCZS. But the sweet spot of NRZSP is bigger, looks more isometric. But it is quite easy to get used to.
    Nothing special about its defence. I think it is an attacking racket.

14. surajaya

surajaya Regular Member

I'm a z-slash user. Do you think z speed is a good upgrade for z slash ?

15. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I managed to see and test the racket just now... And while it looks solid and swings quickly (unbelievable for a 3U, feels like a 4U instead), what totally puts me off is the head side... It's like the head has shrunk by about 1/4 of my 700RP :O

Might hold on from buying it until I tested it on court or there is a 2nd hand sale... Sure some of them is coming soon.

16. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I will get it with the z slash as my collection of the yonex z series

17. vajrasattva

smaller than iforce frame (same as zforce and zslash)

[​IMG]

smaller than voltric frame...

[​IMG]

and smaller than arcsaber frame by this much

[​IMG]

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG], the factory strung is €160 euro over here and unstrung €150 (£125) [​IMG]. In Holland is where "here" would be ...(for non-EU people that would be ~$160USD after taking off the VAT).

#578 demolidor, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  19. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    Finally had a chance to go out and have a bit of a hit today. Played about 2 hours of doubles and half an hour-ish of singles. Very quick and agile racquet. Still haven't quite got the timing and touch for net shots with it just yet but smashes and clears felt nice. Doesn't have the oomph and kick of some of the more head heavy racquets (e.g. Victor BS-LYD) but it was powerful enough and certainly fast enough.

Also, what others have been saying about the flimsy paint job is spot on. Had a light racquet clash today and there's now a giant paint chip on the frame.

I'll have to have a few more sessions with it to be sure, but initial impressions are very favourable.

20. sychong95

sychong95 Regular Member

Student
    The frame of the Z speed is smaller than the Z slash.
    You can now imagine how small the frame is,
    and how small the sweet spot is, (even increase in 11%, the sweetspot is likely to be the same size as a Z slash)