Laws of Badminton Question: Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jdcastro, Oct 8, 2007.

1. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

I have heard from a young friend competing in a competition in Singapore that the service judges fault players for moving their arms in the course of service. In detail, they(the judges) fault players who move their racquet forearms whilst serving the shuttle, and their(the judges) interpretation of the service rules is that the players who serves should move only the wrist parts of his/her racquet arm. I find no rules describing this interpretation but is this true of service plays during official competitions?

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course this can't be true. Many professional players move their forearms to serve even for short services. How can you serve high without moving your forearm?

The danger could be that when trying to make a serve, more so for a flick serve, the player hits the shuttle higher than allowed in the rules. It could be the hand holding the shuttle moves higher thus resulting in the player striking it at a higher point. :p

3. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Wrist flick and forearm movement/rotation (no elbow movement though) is alright when serving.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There is no rule against elbow movement.

Really, it's a lot easier to understand the rules if you actually read them. ;)

5. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Unwritten rule applies:cool:? Besides, quite frankly it is best to flick it and a stationary dangling elbow does not give much away as to whether it will be a wristy move or one than involves the forearm:cool:!

Umpires should not only read them but master them. Players must play to win and not worry about contextual rules!

#25 FIVEs, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It does not matter how you do it (technique) but you should do so as permitted by the rules! And the main criterion here is that you should hit the shuttle below the waist as defined by the rules! ;) You can employ any part of your hand - the upper arm, the elbow, the forearm, the wrist and the fingers but don't hit the shuttle at a point above the waist when serving. :D

Yes, you must read and understand the badminton rules or laws.

Umpires need not be badminton players and certainly need not master the various techniques of playing a stroke.

7. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Ok then, read the rule book:rolleyes:! Frankly, I don't. Oh btw, didn't I make it a point that it must be served below the waist:D? So, what did I missed? I almost never get called for faulty service motion:cool:.

But of course, understood! However, how many pro players give away their shots prior;)? By way of giving too much (away) untoward movement that leads to their shots being read:eek:?

8. petertan_sg

petertan_sg Regular Member

CEO
    hi guys. i need some advice. due to some players "smashing" back a return for backhand low serve, i tried to break my serve into 2 parts - 1) a quick pull back and stop for abt half a second, and 2) serve. is that a service fault?

9. Playful-Wind

Playful-Wind Regular Member

:p Can anyone shed some light on these question for me please?

1. As the player serves he/she drops the shuttle making sure it meets the waist line/below ribs during the drop and then striking the shuttle.

Is this correct or is it, that the racket has to be struck with the shuttle firmly grasped.

2. While serving, the other player on the serves team must be behind the server and in the centre or is it he can be anywhere as he/she is not serving?

( if possible does anyone know where in the badminton laws it states the players role during serves :mad: can't find anything )

Many thanks in advance.

10. petertan_sg

CEO
    hi. my thoughts are 1) shouldn't be any fault [single's high serve], and 2) no fault [mixed double]...

11. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Exactly. What the laws did not prevent, you can do. E.g. the laws did not mention about smash/drop/clear so players do all of them.

12. druss

druss Regular Member

I think there is a lot of confusion because the rules do not go into a lot of detail... so keep this in mind. IF it is not considered a fault then it's legal. Don't need to ask anymore questions unless you don't actually understand what's written.

So the shuttle must be struck under the waist (lowest rib). It does not matter if you're holding it or have thrown it 5 feet up in the air first as long as you strike it under the waist.

As for the servers partner, he/she can be anywhere on the court. with the following kept in mind.

9.5 In doubles, during the delivery of service (Law 9.2, 9.3), the partners may take up any positions within their respective courts, which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

As for the pause between backward and foreward movement..

9.1 In a correct service:
    9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server's racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay;

#32 druss, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  13. petertan_sg

CEO
    Thanks dude. So, I guess that the movement is supposed to be fluid (1 stroke), no matter the speed? :) Glad to clear this thought out...

14. Playful-Wind

Playful-Wind Regular Member

Excellent reply :D and prefect proof for those
    who will raise question to me Lol :cool:.

However i'm not a big fan of the drop the shuttle in midair and then
    waiting it to come between waistline/below ribs as they come a bit more faster to me .. :( like a tennis serve :mad:

But theres always a way :cool: to stop something

Very grateful for your reply and others.

15. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

I prefer dropping it down about 10-12 inches (so that it's just above the belt). Works best for me.

16. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Just another question about service here. What's the rule with the follow-through a serve? Can the racquet be pointing upwards?

17. druss

druss Regular Member

Once you've made contact with the shuttle according to the rules it does not matter what your racket does....

18. matt30mb

matt30mb Regular Member

1 degree is enough

The new laws says:

Laws of Badminton (2006)

9.1.6 the shaft of the server’s racket at the instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction;

So - if the shaft is directed downwords for only 1 degree it is not a fault !!

19. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    The drive serve issue doesn't bother me much - it's more the fact most people are clueless where their first rib is - which is pretty much your belly button ( give or taek how big you gut is, your belly button in that case may be WAYYY lower than your first rib. :D.

20. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    This is actually a very tough rule to interpret. If you look at law 9.2, the first forward movement is the start of the service and 9.1.7 the movement of the server's racket shall continue forwards from the start of the service.
    So i would assume a forward, backward and forward serve as illegal even if its a fluid movement.

9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server's racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay

9.1.7 the movement of the server's racket shall continue forwards from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3);

9.2 Once the players are ready for the service, the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.