World's BEST SMASHER ever lived???

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Yoppy, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i have seen a lot of his video playing against liem swee king, morten frost .... in the past

during his prime time, his most consistent weapon in getting points is his 'chop smash'

that is, whenever he had the position to do it, he would get the service over or a point.

without doing an analysis chart, i can still recall that his 'chop smash' top the list.

unless you want to include a world title or a major title together with effectiveness of it here

i would have no further comment ;)

2. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
  3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So now you can measure subjectivity?? em.....i wonder how........
    Yes i did say them, sorry if its not too much for your attention. But i again wonder, just a little dose of it is enough for you to accuse this thread of being "yoppy's best smasher". I really dont see any consistency here, sorry

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thanks for that Cheung. I mean for giving your thought on the possible criteria.

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I second that. But how to vote more? once is enough :)

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I'm just a little concerned about the mix in disciplines. If you guys will notice, even the poll for the best net player is dedicated to doubles players only, and that is how it should be.

Again, and as some others on this thread have also pointed out, it may be a good idea to create separate polls for singles and doubles players. The basic game-playing criteria are different and beyond a point it would be unfair to mix them up in one poll. My 2 cents. Sorry if this has created further problems!! ;):D

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- I don't think only myself. I'm sure others can read and see themselves whether the list/topic is more subjective or not..:cool:
    How about this, i'll give a suggestion, if still want to stay with 1 poll/thread. If there's no specific criterias set up or just want to use "effectiveness" as the only criteria, then let's have a bunch of names thrown out and assign 3 people or 5 people, who've seen the players or most of them play, give the approval/go ahead on those names.
    - If you did mention them, do you mind pointing them to me (i went over this thread again and don't see any; maybe on the 1st page with "high jumper and very explosive" as your criterias?)..:confused:

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Quite a simple answer really.... Me :D:D:D

9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Can you please post any pics/video to show your smash skill ?? :p

""LD Rules!, best smasher ever lived"" XD

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Give me two weeks, I will get a video up, of me playing extremely aggressive in one of my upcoming tournaments. :D anyone want to lend me a Speed gun ?

11. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Ask Yonex :p they usually add some k/h to what is recorded :D

12. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Discussing about world best smasher, "best" can be define by numerous criteria from the individual point of view, starting from how its being execute, its outcome or any title that comes with it. I always tell my students what my previous coaches told me how they define what is an effective badminton smash..."an effective badminton smash is a winning smash"....smash that can win you point..... a superior "version" of a smash. Ex - professional badminton player and commentator like gillian clark and ian wright also always idol effective smasher such as Lin Dan for an example because, whenever he leaps into the air and execute a smash, it will surely be a winning smash, smash that surely will win him a point, until the opponents prove it otherwise.

Personally from my opinion, even if exist such a player that can smash at a speed of light, so steep that it landed always at the front court, so high the jump until he can obstruct the whole lighting system inside the hall, so many times he can smash non-stop that even a photostat machine also cannot do as many times like how he smash....but then, eventually, it can be taken and return back by the opponent to him without winning any point, then it will be just an ordinary smash, only it looks and sound grandiose because that's how he execute it. A winning smash won't maybe can make you win your game or title, because winning itself require the player the play well with all the complete package of strokes well executed, but having a winning smash as an arsenal will make the opponent thinks 5 times (not twice) to lift the shuttlecock, thus creating the psychological surrounding of fear of lift to occur hence influence how he plays his game.

Making effective as a criteria is worth gold using.

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Chen Changjie - late 70's and early 80's. Very hard smasher, you can watch his game in Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZFz2bg8vN8&feature=related

If not mistaken, Chen Changjie beat Morten Frost in the 1981 Santa Clara games (non-Olympic sports?). Read the reports that Morten Frost was not able to handle his attacks (smashes).

I would say Misbun was very effective with his 'chop-smash' - but I would see it more as a fast-drop or 'half-smash'. Misbun was one of the best technical player at his time, able to conceal his stroke very effectively. Usually able to move his opponent around before delivering the final blow.

Having said that, if Misbun is included in the lot of smashers, Yang Yang should surely be in the list as well. I have seen on various occasions Yang Yang smashing successfully after the serve, against players like Morten Frost or Icuk. Yang Yang's smash is powerful, but like you mentioned, his preference would be moving his opponent around before hitting that well-placed smash to finish the rally.

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    yes correct, viver, that's why i mention misbun's 'chop smash'

its a deceptive half smash actually

and lets vote for yang yang!

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In men's singles, IMHO, Lin Dan is the best!! No need to poll it. haha

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I said YOU, not others :rolleyes:. You get what i mean?:p
    I said on the first post, what i like about them such as they way the redefine the game is played, as well as the evolution of the technique, etc. Im not surprise at all you missed all of them and still accusing this thread of being "yoppy's best smasher"

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..(on another lighter note) i was thinking of our Panda, DinkAlot, who, with one powerful swing, not only can break strings faster than one can chow down a pizza but also break rackets at near record breaking speed..;)
    - If asking me, then yes, i can tell whether if the thread/poll is less or more subjective..How? well, by how there's no poll(s) set-up yet. Then by the various suggestions of names to add to the list..
    - Oh, those?!?!..If those are (your) criterias, then the original list confirms it's a "Yoppy's List of Best Smashers" (because those names fall under your criterias, don't they?)..;)..

#97 ctjcad, Sep 8, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Ofcourse not, and i dont have to explain why, do i?

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..wait, the original list (1st post) of players wasn't created by you??:confused:..only after a few posts/comments/suggestions abt how broad the topic is then more players' names were thrown in/out..

#99 ctjcad, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So................................? Are you S****D?
    Firstly you said, i did not set out criteria.....WRONG
    Secondly you accused bla bla..............also WRONG
    Sorry

#100 Yoppy, Sep 11, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.