Shoulder impingement syndrome: everything you want to know about it

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by visor, Jul 19, 2012.

1. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Yeah I'm thinking of trying either the MX70, London, or JJS.
    Really tempted on the London....

The thing is the discomfort is mainly felt (for me at least) on the forearm/elbow area. I'm pretty sure the racquet is a wee too stiff for my puny arm. :( I'm trying it at 25lbs ZM65 to see if it's still ok at that tension.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Update: I can now play at 100% with no pain for the past few weeks. There is still some crepitus noise with shoulder abduction but no more pain. Yay! :).

Also found the "shoulder pendulum weighted" exercise to be extremely helpful in increasing the space between the AC joint and the impinged supraspinatus tendon. While supporting your other hand on a table or countertop and slightly hunched over, gently grab a 5 lb weight (or equivalent large bottle of detergent/soap etc) and swing it like a pendulum back and forth. Concentrate on relaxing the shoulder muscle to allow the joint to stretch downwards by the pendulum weight action. After a few minutes, you'll feel less pain in the shoulder. I discovered this by accident after shopping for and carrying heavy grocery bags for my wife! :)

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

There is no end to the fringe benefits of helping your wife! ;)

Congrats on the recovery, visor! Happy smashing.:):)

4. ikcud

ikcud Regular Member

student
    I think I've had this problem for awhile now. My shoulder consistency cracks on me everytime I go for a smash. Lately for the past 2 months or so, I've left myself placing the shot without pushing my shoulder to it limits. I get alot of odd eyes at me wondering why I don't finish the game as fast or kill it, but I just don't want to cause direct or more pain. I've been trying these exercise and been seeing a physio. They've recommend these type of exercise which will eventually go away. Hasn't yet but I'm hoping it will =[. Stretching has became my daily before and after routine for training now.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Hope it works out for you! Also don't forget to ice your shoulder after playing if there is any pain.

6. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I seriously took me 3 months or so without playing at ALL to get over this. During this time I was at home trying to re-tool my smash/clear motion. First month back I was worried so I took it easy for about a month. I actually think I have a harder smash now than when I got injured.

Bottom line, take your time.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

In addition to faster recovery, another brighter side of taking time off playing for a few months is that you'll have saved enough money to purchase another racket. ;) :)

8. bobbinbette

bobbinbette Regular Member

I had a pretty bad case of impingement back in June/July. I saw a doctor at the end of July and received a cortisone shot.

Strange thing is, rehab isn't doing too much for me. It works well at first, however after a while, the pain comes back.
    I'm afraid to do more rehab in case it makes my impingement worse =/

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Cortisone shot works but is only temporary and is not a long term solution. Make sure you ice it lots, do those "shoulder pendulum weighted" exercises and other exercise mentioned previously. And even stop playing for a month or two if permanent recovery is to be expected. Finally if none of these work, then the impingement may be more severe and requires ultrasound or mri to rule out tears of the supraspinatus tendon.

10. Chethan

Chethan New Member

Software Engineer
    Hi Visor ,
    How are you holding up now ? Is your pain gone ?

I feel a sharp pain too on the front of my shoulder but all the tests u gave above cause very less pain ,,, so I guess mine is not that bad yet ,, but sometimes when i try to smash overhead I feel a sting in front of the shoulder ..I think I hit a wrong shot or something or may be I didnt warm up enough since I was playing after a gap of 4-5 months ....

11. Chethan

Chethan New Member

Software Engineer
    Visor , Saw your update now , good to know you are all happy and smashing :) ... will try that pendulum exercises , I actually saw on youtube a video from a doc that suggested that kind of pendulum exercise

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Hi Chethan, ... yes it doesn't hurt to do those pendulum exercises and also some scapular exercises like W shoulder exercises. Also take it easy on court... don't smash hard from the back. Finally rest and ice it if it hurts.

13. bobbinbette

Thanks for your advice Visor.
    It has been about a month since I stopped playing badminton completely (i had the shot end of July and played lightly about once a week for 6 weeks under much pain). I have been doing rehab and I can perform the exercises without issue.

I have progressed to the point where I do not feel any pain until I perform a badminton swing.
    Additionally, I still cannot even do 10 pushups without a sharp pain in the shoulder (I'm only 23!).

Should I go see my doctor again? I can't really afford an MRI at the moment and the rehab isn't really helping.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Yeah MRI is not cheap. However you could try shoulder ultrasound which is inexpensive and quite accurate still. But make sure you go to a place with good technicians who do shoulders regularly in order to get accurate results.

15. bobbinbette

After 4 months, my shoulder is FINALLY feeling better. Now I feel almost no pain when performing practice swings!

I better give it another month or 2 just to be safe...

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Glad to hear. But please make sure do NOT do practice swings with anything more than 50% max power... as that will throw your shoulder forward and re aggravate the problem.

17. victor_rs

victor_rs Regular Member

visor..if use kinesio tape for protect this injury???any advantage or disadvantage?

18. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Best thing I did for my shoulder was take off about 3 months. Lots of stretches and exercise with rubber bands. No problems at all now, however it does click quite a bit more than my left shoulder. No pain, but sometimes it feels funny. Might be psychological. Probably the reason I'm trying to pick up a two handed tennis backhand instead of my one-hander.

Funny thing is I have a pretty good serve for tennis and backhand is ok. Can't hit a forehand that will stay in the court without just lobbing it back!

19. visor

visor Regular Member

sorry... i don't know much about kinesio taping other than the effectiveness really depends on the skill of the physiotherapist who is applying it

but i have noticed that some pro players have used it on their shoulder at some time or other, like LCW, JJS, KKK, etc

20. visor

visor Regular Member

yeah... when mine was painful, i had to take several weeks off with major icing sessions, which really helped a lot

now it still clicks like yours, but no more pain... gradually getting more confidence back in full power smashes :)