Badminton In Seoul

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by Oldhand, Aug 19, 2007.

1. event

event Regular Member

The Dwight School website shows that address but the only thing any maps show at that address is the Seoul Japanese School. Either way, the closest club, basically across the street, would be at Sangam High School (#12 on this list). They play in the evenings. Another nearby is #8, at Sangam Elementary School.

You can go through the list in detail but possibly the closest club in a public facility, where it might be possible to play without joining, might be #14, although the club plays in the mornings and has a stiff membership fee and the facility homepage says nothing of daily admission rates. It might still be worth checking out. The gym is due east of the World Cup Stadium.

2. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I'll be in Seoul from April 24 to May 2 or so. Does anybody want to meetup and play badminton? I would love to play in Korea.

3. RobinZheng

RobinZheng Regular Member

I used to play badminton with my friends at the 와우공원 stadium , near Sinchon metro station(신촌역) line No.2. They left Seoul at the end of last year. So I am looking for some new friends to play together there. The courts there are not very good but acceptable, and they are totally free. Anyone is welcome. Please write to me at guangbin@foxmail.com

I am Chinese male, in my late 20s. I can speak English and Korean.

4. event

event Regular Member

Let us know what part of Seoul. If you end up in Gangnam or otherwise in the southeastern part of the city, I might suggest you take a trip to the 'burbs to play where I play, as the travel time would be similar to that of trying to get to Shinchon, for example. If you're in some area more central or western, it will only make sense for you to find a place to play in the city.

5. shaosen

shaosen New Member

Hi, I'm planning to be in Seoul most of 23-31 May, mainly to catch up on friends and try to improve Korean. Are there any clubs on here that are particularly friendly to guests or where there's anyone on here there - either morning or evening sessions. I'll likely be staying in the Gangnam area but may be north of the river, regardless I'm happy to jump on the subway.

As a bit of background, I'm probably lower intermediate standard, can speak English and Chinese and a bit of Korean.

6. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Hi,

I'm in Seoul until 12 July. Will like to catch a couple of games preferably over the weekend and possibly on weekday evenings. I'm staying next to Sindorim so anywhere accessible by subway will be perfect. I'm a low intermediate, speaks English and Chinese, and almost no korean.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

7. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

Hello,

I'm going to Seoul Yeouido from 12 July to 14 August, I don't want to be out of practice when I get back so would like to play. I'm free anytime unless I'm going with some friends or visiting family. I would also like it to be accessible by subway and hopefully not to far from Yeouido. I can speak English and Korean.

Could anyone recommend me to any places to play indoors and if so, some of the court etiquette as well. Thanks:)

8. event

event Regular Member

weeyeh, if you're in Shindorim, the one at Shinchon mentioned by RobinZheng above or in this thread would be the easiest. If you want a better facility, the Gyenam gym, mentioned earlier in this thread, is available and is not too far but it's not that close to the subway. It's 1km from Exit #1 of Shinjeong Negeori Station, on the line that branches west from Shindorim.

#108 event, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  9. event

event Regular Member

The easiest one to access from the subway is likely the Magok Gym, mentioned earlier in this thread. It is about 900m from Exit #1 of the Yangcheonhyanggyo Station on the #9 line. Alternatively, you could take the #5 then #2 to Shinchon and play at the Wow Park gym mentioned by RobinZheng above. Actually, it is both fewer stops and a shorter walk if you take #5 to the #6 line and walk from Exit #1 of Gwangheungchang Station.

10. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Thanks for the pointers Event. Will check them out :).

11. josephdk

josephdk Regular Member

Thanks Event, should I bring shuttles?

12. event

event Regular Member

You have to supply your own shuttles, yes. There are few exceptions to this.

13. Samuelng

Samuelng Regular Member

Soon-to-be student/ Slacker
    Hi! I am Samuel. I will be going to Seoul next month for a few days and I would like to find a club/group to play with there. I will be staying at Sungkyunkwan-ro-4-gil,Jongrogu and am wondering whether there will be any clubs/groups nearby.

14. event

event Regular Member

In Korea, there will always be something nearby, though finding a group or a facility that is to your liking may be a different story.

First, you're likely going to want to check out this list, for neighbouring Seongbuk-gu. #8 plays at the Naksan Hall at Hanseong University, which is one subway stop from Hyehwa or technically, just over the ridge, but I don't know if you can enter the uni from the west. The club listing says they play in the morning. One more subway stop away is #5 on the list, which is just west of Seongshin Women's Univ. Stn at Donam Elementary School. Finally, #21 on the list seems to be at a public facility with 6 courts. It is in Odeunggeunnin Park, about 1.7km southeast of Mia3-geori Stn, also on the #4 line. It says the hours are 1:30 to 4 but you could try other hours as it might be possible to play, just not with that club.

The only thing even close to you in Jongnogu is the YMCA on Jongno itself, #6, of course. Where you are, near Hyehwa Stn, is sort of on the border of a few districts, so that's why most of the nearest clubs are in Seongbuk-gu. You could also try the Dongdaemun-gu list but I'll stop here as you don't want to spend all day choosing a club when you're only going to be there for a few days.

15. Samuelng

Samuelng Regular Member

Thank you event! Truly appreciate such a fast and detailed reply from a fellow badminton enthusiast. But before I play with them, do I have to drop a mail to them? I don't know if I can email in Korean.

16. event

event Regular Member

I wouldn't expect email to accomplish much. If you find a public gym with an admission fee, then you can play any time as long as it's not being used for some event or for some other sport. Clubs that operate within such facilities may still be on those Badminton Times listings, but they function mainly as cliques and you can usually find, in such a gym, other outsiders or a welcoming clique.

In the case of a club that operates in a school, they pay the rent to the school for the use of the gym so they have the right to exclude you, theoretically; however, my experience is that you can usually visit such a club and play 2 or 3 times before they will start asking you to join. In even rarer cases, they might ask for a visitors' fee, as does the one at the Gwanak School. I like that better, as I don't feel so guilty about freeloading at a gym someone else is paying to rent.

For you, if you only have a few days, all you want to avoid is showing up at a gym at the wrong time or something. You could try emailing, if you can find an address, but most contact information is either cell#'s or daum or naver cafes, which are tricky to access if you weren't born here. Best of luck.

17. Samuelng

Samuelng Regular Member

Its true. I tried signing up for naver once and was asked for my ID code. I was like - what the heck is that. Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to play by ear. I heard that there is like a donation box and I can put money inside for the game. In Singapore, we will actually share costs regardless if the player is playing for the first time or not, so there are no feelings of awkwardness. I guess each country operates differently.

18. sainkr

sainkr Regular Member

Hi,

I am in Korea on a business trip until 5th October 2013, living near to Chungmaro railway station. I would like to play over weekends; I rate my game above intermediate (won few tournaments in Hyderabad, India this year at 35+ category doubles) :)

Please suggest me a place to play here; unfortunately I didn't bring my raquet, I have to buy a raquet too.

19. event

event Regular Member

Oh, sorry sainkr, I didn't see your post here when I replied to you in another thread. If you are at Chungmuro Subway Station, then you are just 3 stops away on the #4 line from samuelng, who posted above, so you can check my post #114 for some suggestions there. Alternatively, you could go 3 stops SE on line #3 and get to the Geumok Club (#10 on this list), which plays at Geumok Elementary School, near Geumho Stn.

A little closer to you, 2 stops away, near Yaksu Stn, is #11 on this list. #3 is also near Yaksu but both of those seem to play only in the morning. Or 650m from Chungmuro is #2 on the list. They play at Duksoo Middle School. It says from 5AM to 10PM but I'm assuming that doesn't include from 8AM-6PM.

20. event

event Regular Member

As for buying a racquet, you can check prices at Badminton Mart and Badminton Market online shops. The former also has a physical shop near Digital Media City subway stn on line #6. Badminton Market has a physical shop across the street from Deungchon Elementary School, near Deungchon Stn on the #9 line. There also seem to be shops near any public facility so there might be one near the Junggu Youth Training Centre, which was #3 on the 2nd list I linked to above. A map to this place, which is near Yaksu Stn, should be visible from this link but I don't know if there really is a racquet shop nearby.

I'm sure there are shops at the Gyenam gym and the Magok gym, though.

#120 event, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013