Carolina Marin: Spain

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by scuInd78, Nov 23, 2011.

1. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    in a non homosexual way her coach, i imagine would be quite attractive to some of the ladies lol

2. K_a_d_e

K_a_d_e Regular Member

Worker
    Congrats to Carolina marin for winning her first GPG title (if im not mistaken) London Grand Prix Gold 2013. She is such a talented WS player, her attacking play, net shot, back hand, foot work is so entertaining to watch, keep up the good work girl !!!
    [TABLE="class: ruler matches player"]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [/TR]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TD="align: right"]Carolina Marin [3][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Lene Clausen[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-15 21-13[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0:29[/TD]
    [TD]Main Location - 2[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Thu 10/3/2013 2:50 PM[/TD]
    [TD]WS[/TD]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Millicent Wiranto[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-16 21-15[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0:38[/TD]
    [TD]Main Location - 1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Fri 10/4/2013[/TD]
    [TD]WS[/TD]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Hera Desi[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]17-21 21-14 21-19[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1:13[/TD]
    [TD]Main Location - 3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Sat 10/5/2013[/TD]
    [TD]WS[/TD]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Busanan Ongbumrungpan [1][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Carolina Marin [3][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]22-20 18-21 19-21[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1:12[/TD]
    [TD]Main Location - 1[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Sun 10/6/2013[/TD]
    [TD]WS[/TD]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Kirsty Gilmour [5][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-19 21-9[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

3. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Great show from CM, may I know what racket she is using - is it vtzf?

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Carolina Marin has been nominated for the Best European Young Player of the year 2013 in the Badminton Europe awards. The awards ceremony will be held in Dublin, Ireland on April 12, 2014.

The complete list of players in this category are:

Best European Young Player Of The Year '13:
    Viktor Axelsen (Denmark)
    Kirsty Gilmour (Scotland)
    Carolina Marin (Spain)
    Stefani Stoeva (Bulgaria)

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #26 pcll99, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Congrats to the new World Champion, the first European to win the title, Carolina Marin.

Well done!

8. solar

solar Regular Member

Chemical engineering student
    And you were right!

9. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Before 31 Aug 2014, if you asked me who is Carolina Marin? I will tell you she is the 2011 WJC bronze medalist. But, after 31 Aug 2014, if you asked me who is Carolina Marin? I will tell you she is the 2014 WC gold medalist!

10. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    my new favourite WS star....real star quality. Mentally strong and always willing to fight to the end!

11. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

i agree with you that she is really mentally strong. But, I hope she would yell softer next time. Her yell is really frighten everyone. Haha...

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Marin wins Spain's first ever world medal

Yahoo Sports[​IMG]

AFP News – Sat, Aug 30, 2014

Spain's Carolina Marin ended her country's long wait for a first badminton world championship medal on Friday when she reached the semi-finals of the women's singles in Copenhagen, assuring herself of at least bronze.

Marin, the reigning European champion, fought back to beat Taiwanese eighth seed Tai Tzu-ying 19-21, 21-19, 21-11 to secure a place in the last four where she will meet Indian teenager P.V. Sindhu.

"This is not just for me but for all of Spain, my coaches and the federation," said Marin, the world number 10.

"Some people came over to support me from Spain and that's nice. One of my goals was to get a medal and I've done that.

"The crowd here was all supporting the European players. They really support me and it feels great.

"I'm looking forward to playing here again tomorrow," added Marin, whose upcoming opponent Sindhu made history herself on Friday by becoming the first Indian to win two world championship medals having also earned bronze a year ago in Guangzhou, China.

Spain's Marin stuns Li as Chen beats Lee

By Martyn WOOD | AFP News – 8 hours ago

Spain's Carolina Marin pulled off a monumental upset as she beat Chinese world number one Li Xuerui to win the women's singles title at the Badminton World Championships in Copenhagen on Sunday.

But Chen Long restored Chinese pride by winning the men's singles, inflicting a third successive final defeat on Malaysia's world number one Lee Chong Wei.

Marin, the 21-year-old ninth seed, recovered from dropping the opening game to the top seed and Olympic champion to complete an incredible 17-21, 21-17, 21-18 victory and earn her country its first ever major title in the sport.

"I don't have any words...it was a fantastic match," said Marin.

"She played amazing rallies in the first set and her strokes are so good.

"My coach told me if I wanted to win I had to fight until the end. I fought to the end, that's what I did. I feel so excited."

Asked whether she felt nerves with victory in sight, Marin replied: "Not so much. I wanted to enjoy it in my first final and I did that."

Li had rarely looked in trouble during her run to the final and she again looked at ease with her terrific stroke play proving too much for the tenacious Marin in the opening game.

However, the Spaniard, reigning European champion, was undeterred and came out positively at the start of the second set as she established an early lead before Li reeled her back in.

This time though Marin responded by taking the attack to her opponent for whom the nerves perhaps began to take hold as Li began to misfire more regularly.

From 15-all Marin upped her standards and carved out three set points at 20-17 before levelling the contest as Li hit wide.

The Chinese regrouped in the third game but a cross-court pass moved Marin to within two points of an improbable victory.

Li then drilled long to make it 20-18 in favour of Marin who then fell to the court in delight on the subsequent point as Li planted her shot into the net with the Spaniard becoming the first European women's world singles champion since Denmark's Camilla Martin in 1999.

For Li it was yet another agonising defeat after she fell at the final hurdle a year ago on home soil in Guangzhou to Thailand's Ratchanok Intanon.

Later, the top-seeded Lee went down 21-19, 21-19 to Chen, the second seeded Chinese player.

Lee held an early lead and looked good up till 9-8. But there were two ominous rallies immediately after that, in which his best manoeuvrings were unable to wear down Chen's athletic defence.

The final rally of the first game was an outstanding one, and ended with a net shot floating slightly too high by Lee, enabling Chen to put it away.

Nevertheless Lee almost pulled back a six-point deficit in the second game. When it really mattered his deft combinations of net shots, clears and ambushing attacks were not quite robust enough to survive the tenacious defence and sudden fierce smashes of his physically more powerful opponent.

At match point Chen found a perfect tumbling net shot which touched the top of the net before falling over.

"I am not yet the world number one. I will take some rest and get ready for the Asian Games," said Chen.
    Lee felt moved to apologise.

"I am sorry that I didn't win for my country," said Lee. "I tried my best but I made too many mistakes.

"But I shall go on. I shall choose the major tournaments carefully and try to go on to the next Olympics."

Earlier, China extended their dominance in women's doubles as Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei claimed the country's 12th straight gold medal in the event by defeating compatriots Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli 21-19, 21-15.

Meanwhile South Korea struck gold in the men's doubles as Ko Sung-hyun and Shin Baek-choel, the 12th seeds, beat fellow countrymen Lee Yong-dae and Yoo Yeon-seong 22-20, 21-23, 21-18.

#32 Loh, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  13. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

Ole! Marin becomes first Spanish world champion

image.jpg
    Spain's Carolina Marin after winning the women's singles world championships title in Denmark on Sunday, She beat China's Li Xuerui in three sets. - AFP

COPENHAGEN: If not for badminton, Carolina Marin of Spain would have been a professional dancer.

Thank goodness she chose badminton.

On Sunday, she caused the biggest upset in the World Championships when she danced her way to the women’s singles title.

The cool 22-year-old broke the rhythm of Olympic Games champion Li Xuerui of China with a superb 17-21, 21-17, 21-18 win at the Bellarup Super Arena to become the first Spaniard-ever to win a badminton world title.

She is the second European to win the world title in 15 years, after Denmark’s Camilla Martin had pulled off the same feat – also in Copenhagen – in 1999.

The defeat was a second blow to the 23-year-old Xuerui, who lost to Thai youngster Ratchanok Intanon in last year’s final.

Marin, who underwent three weeks of training at former world champion Ratchanok’s club in Bangkok, was pleased as punch with her impressive breakthrough.

“I do not have words to express my joy right now ... it is fantastic to win the world title for the first time,” said Marin.

“My goal was to win a gold medal and, in order to do that, I had to fight ... and I fought till the end.”

It, however, did not start too well for Marin when top seed Xuerui stamped her mark to take the opener and lead the second 10-5.

That was when Carolina upped the tempo.

“I knew I had to change the game plan. Xuerui was so good at the net and I needed to keep her away from it ... so I kept pushing the shuttle to the back. I tried to minimise my mistakes and I finally pulled it off,” explained Marin, who was sprawled on the court and crying tears of joy after the historic win.

“I’m based in Spain and I want to thank my team for the support. Without them, I wouldn’t have been able to make it. The three-week training at Ratchanok’s club also helped.”

While Marin was overjoyed, Xuerui was left to ponder another missed chance at becoming a world champion.

But the Chinese ace vowed that she would rise from the defeat and be ready for the Asian Games in Incheon.

“It is disappointing to lose to a foreign player for two straight years. My opponent was very powerful today. I became tense towards the end. I should have persisted but I failed,” said Xuerui, who was also slightly troubled by an ankle pain.

“This (the defeat) will not dampen my spirits. I will continue to do what I do best and come back a much stronger player.”

Source:http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2014/08/31/Ole-Marin-becomes-first-Spanish-world-champion/

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Now that is interesting.

She did flamenco before which means she had quite good all round body coordination exercises when young.

What is different about her style is that she is very relaxed and coordinated. It is a contrast with many other European ladies players who look a bit stiff in their technique.

So dancing might be good for badminton! Wonder what Toby Ng of Canada would say about that.

14 years old playing only in Spain to winning the European and World Championships 8 years later. Amazing.

15. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    There has been quite a few females who had broken my heart along the way, last year was RI, now CM, your name is on the list. Congratulate for the win and the beautiful badminton displayed in this WC. Hope you can cope with the pressure that come with the win.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry for the mistake. Carolina Marin is not the first European to win the WC.

There is another CM, Camilla Martin from Denmark who won that distinction after her much earlier compatriot, Lene Koppen, another badminton legend during her time.

Camilla Martin primarily played woman's singles. In that discipline she won the Danish national championships 13 years consecutively, from 1991 to 2003, European champion three times, in 1996, 1998, and 2000, and World champion once in 1999. She won All England in 2002.

(Info from Wikipedia)

#36 Loh, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  17. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    She used to serve weirdly until last year, which is not evident anymore. Looks like she has changed her serving style.

18. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    new AE champion at 21....I love this girl despite what others are saying about her screaming. She shows real passion in the game. A real character!

19. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    If there is no rules saying that screaming is not allowed after a point, why people are complaining? At least she doesn't scream during a point like tennis that can disturb her opponents. She is quick and powerful. And she is still young. I think she and Tai Tzu Ying will rule WS badminton for the next few years.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm, even though it's not illegal, I know what will happen if I try screaming like her, not just one scream but 7 screams, after each winning point in my regular group ... ;)