Serve preference for singles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by nilavu, Aug 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    What serve do you prefer in singles game.
    A short serve, or
    A long high serve, or
    A fast serve.

IMO, a short serve gives the opponent to play anywhere in the court, but not too fast. A long serve gives you time, but you reflex must be fast enough to defend a much faster smash.

Share your opinions!!

2. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Depends on opponents.

For better opponents, I tend to use short serves to limit his attacking opportunities.

Against lower level players, I use the high serve, because they will make errors on their own.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Depends on opponents. Some are stronger receiving overhead and some are stronger at receiving low serves. Also depends on your own abilities at taking the third shot. Are you comfortable in taking the shuttle from the invents overhead or do you prefer it if they hit up from your low serve.

4. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    If they have a weak backhand I generally drive serve it to their backhand , then it generally goes up where I can kill it. Short serves against people thAt can fight against drive serves and smash down with high serves.

5. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    If they hit up, then it's fine. But if they do a fast drive to my backhand side, I find it difficult to do a clear or cross clear. Guess I have to work on my backhand. :D

6. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

You can always drive back or block it at the net.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Footwork first, then check grip. If the shuttle goes past you, it becomes very disadvantageous so you have to consciously anticipate these drives and be prepared a split second earlier.

8. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    I'm only 5.3". Can't block all the drives!! :confused:

9. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I don't have 5'... :p

As my coach says... Move! Haha... You can't be lazy if you are physically disadvantaged.

10. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    I was hoping for more replies..:)

Singles players ..please share your thoughts about the topic

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Its singles - the serve has very little importance compared to doubles. With that in mind, try all the different serves:

Low serve: doesn't let opponents attack downwards overhead, but does give them deceptive net opportunities which are dangerous. Only use if your opponents net skills are less threatening than their overhead skills. It is a risky serve if you cannot defend your deep back corners properly e.g. you worry about drives or pushes to the backhand

Flick serve: good to force your opponent back in poor balance, but risky against a fast opponent with a good half smash. Use this to make your low serve safer.

High serve: good against players who either struggle with having lots of time (the like a fast game) or have a weak overhead attack. Only players who are accurate will cause you trouble with this serve, hence it is used a lot below competition level. It is very safe.

Drive serve: only use it down the middle as a means of trying to get the shuttle deep behind your opponent quickly. It can be risky as it gives you very little time to get to base, and can be attacked by a skilled opponent. However, at a lower level of play, it can work very nicely.

The key thing: mix up your serves. If you always serve short, your opponent will simply stand further forwards.

The advice I have just given applies to singles and to doubles. As a singles player, I would start with low serves, and then use flick and drive serves as well. However, if I were more worried about my movement, or I had a very good defence, I would use more high serves.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

What Matt said. Good post. :)

13. Puppo_Olanla

Puppo_Olanla New Member

Thanks, MSeeley. That's very useful.

14. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    I think like many others posted, it really depends on your opponent's level, and MSeeley's post breaks it down in great detail.

15. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

Generally I use high forehand serve against non competition players/female players and low serve against competition players. High forehand serve puts me in a more vulnerable position when playing against competitive players due to giving them a chance to start attacking off the bat. I guess I'd rather face the bane of net deception/drives to the back than that.