Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Now our BCers can see Saina Nehwal with make-ups on

Thanks for the link to her photos, vpsingh.

Now our BCers can see Saina Nehwal with make-ups on. :D:D:D

2. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Saina to spearhead Indian challenge in World Championships

(The Times of India 13 Jul 2010)

NEW DELHI: Star shuttler Saina Nehwal will lead India's challenge in the World Championship in Paris in August.
    The nine-member squad includes Aditi Mutatkar, Jwala Gutta, Ashwini Ponnappa, Chetan Anand, Parupalli Kashyap, Sanave Thomas, V Diju and Rupesh Kumar.
    Pullela Gopichand will be the chief coach.
    Announcing the squad, Badminton Association of India president VK Verma hoped that Saina, the youngest Indian captain, will inspire the team to perform well.
    Saina, who is World No. 3, said she will not be under pressure.
    "Badminton is an individual game. Each one is responsible for himself. We have strong players. I have followed their performance in the Singapore Open. Everyone is on the same wavelength. I will focus on my game and ensure that I do well," Saina said.
    "It is just the playing environment which will be different in the World Championships. I will have my team cheering for me and I, in turn, will be there for them," he said.
    Saina, who last month won three titles in as many weeks, including two Super Series events, was felicitated by the Badminton Association of India (BAI) and national team sponsor Premier Brands for her achievement here Tuesday. She was presented 20 gold coins, synonymous with her age.
    Premier Brands chairman Suresh Kumar said they will be presenting 101 gold coins to Saina if she performs well in the World Championships.
    Saina lost in the quarterfinals of the World Championships at Hyderabad last year.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Would love to catch up with Saina again

So unfortunate that Saina is not in Melbourne, Australia, for our 2010 Australian Open GP.

Would love to catch up with Saina again. :cool::cool::cool:

4. johnjacob

johnjacob Regular Member

Student
    Oh, and by the way... Saina Nehwal is world number two now!

Linkety link.

5. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Yes, wining 3 titles in-a-row, she might be considered as one of the favourite for the WorldChamps

6. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    the CHinese are always favourite when it comes to Women Singles

7. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    For sure they are but some non chinese can challenge and upset them : Saina Nehwal, Tine Baun, Juliane Schenk, Pi Hongyan, Yippy, Zhou Mi, etc..
    ;)

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

And she may get seeding #2 at upcoming WC;)

Last year edition, China WS grabbed one set medal, only Wang Yihan failed to win any medal.
    Will it repeat once again in Paris?

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal is World No.2

Saina Nehwal is World No.2 !!! :):):)

Congratulations to Saina. I still remember my post in this thread, Post #6, that Saina will one day be a World Singles Champion.

#389 chris-ccc, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  10. PoLLuX

PoLLuX Regular Member

Student
    double post. sorry

#390 PoLLuX, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  11. PoLLuX

PoLLuX Regular Member

Student
    Raeding article at #377 and #399 post, makes me realize that Saina has great mental attitude. Hope she will perform great at WC.

12. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    I am not so sure about the Chinese now.
    Saina Nehwal will be in contention for the WC WS title in August 2010.
    She won back to back to back (1 Grand Prix and 2 Super Series) titles this year and is strong mentally and with Pullela Gopichand the former AE MS champion as her coach, SN will hone her skills even more.
    I just root for her to win.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. majyun

majyun Regular Member

World No 2 badminton player Saina Nehwal calls for endorsements

• By Omer Farooq, Correspondent
    • Published: 00:02 July 18, 2010

Nehwal, who appears to be determined to become Queen of the badminton world by reaching the top rank soon, has started attracting the attention of corporations as a potential brand ambassador.

Hyderabad: She may not be able to scale the heights of Mahinder Singh Dhoni's Rs2.1 billion (Dh165 million) deal but India's badminton sensation and world No 2 badminton player Saina Nehwal is about to give other stars some tough competition in brand endorsements.

Nehwal, who appears to be determined to become Queen of the badminton world by reaching the top rank soon, has started attracting the attention of corporations as a potential brand ambassador.

Herbalife, the US company which direct-sells nutrition products and energy drinks signed up 20-year-old Nehwal for an undisclosed amount for one more year on Friday.

Full article at:
    http://gulfnews.com/sport/other-spo...-saina-nehwal-calls-for-endorsements-1.655569

Note: Rs 4 million is about USD 85,000.
    More of this in badminton please...Hopefully more Chinese companies can start sponsoring the sport.

#393 majyun, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Saina Nehwal said the game of badminton would remain her first love

Well said by Saina Nehwal;

Though the worth of the deal between Nehwal and Herbalife was kept under wraps, sources said that it could be between Rs3 million to Rs5 million.

Nehwal's endorsement value had zoomed up following her recent victories and her rise to the world's number two in World Badminton Federation rankings, sources said.

"It will go up to Rs10 million per endorsement if she succeeds in becoming world number one," a market expert said.

But Nehwal said the game of badminton would remain her first love.

15. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Badminton No 1 Saina Nehwal awarded India's highest sporting honour

India's Saina Nehwal, the world No 2, has been awarded India's highest sporting honour.

By Rod Gilmour
    Published: 4:29PM BST 30 Jul 2010

Saina-Nehwal2_1675065c.jpg
    Joy: Saina Nehwal displays her medals to the crowd on her arrival at the airport in Hyderabad, India in July Photo: AP

India in July Photo: AP Nehwal was named the recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award after a string of impressive performances that saw her become the first Indian to win a Super Series title when she triumphed at the 2009 Indonesia Badminton Open.

"I am really happy. It's unbelievable, a dream come true for me," she said. "I have done well in the last two years and the three titles that I won recently have really boosted my confidence.

"I am now preparing for the World Championship and hope to win the title," she said.
    Nehwal, this year's All England Championships semi-finalist, is now a serious threat for next month's World Championships in Paris.

Full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...l-awarded-Indias-highest-sporting-honour.html
    Congratulation, Saina! Keep up the good work!

16. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Saina has put icing on a fitness revolution

Pradeep Vijaykar, 30 July 2010, 06:36 PM IST

Saina Nehwal being picked for India's highest sporting distinction, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award, puts her in the league of another young achiever, cue legend Pankaj Advani, who got it when just 20, a year younger than Saina.It will no doubt provoke comparsions with tennis queen Sania Mirza. I won't fall into this trap. I would rather try and put Saina in perspective vis-a-vis other baddy players.

Saina, the BPCL player, is No 2 in the world.

Saina is the first Indian woman to reach the singles quarterfinals at the Olympics. She went on o win the World Junior Badminton Championships and capped a fine run with a hat-trick of wins clinching the Indonesian Open in 2009, the Singapore Open title in June, 2010, and the Indonesian Open a week later. These wins make here arguably our best baddy player, man and woman going solely by international performances.

Winning two Super Series events is like winning two All England Championships. Our men legends, Prakash Padukone and Gopichand one one each while Prakash also won one World Open. To use the words of Pradeep Gandhe, former Asian Games doubles bronze winner and vice-president of the Badminton Federation of India, a volcano has erupted. Gandhe pays tribute to the focus of Saina after the setback of not going beyond the first round for a full year in 8-10 events after reaching the last eight of the Beijing Olympics.She was working onher fitness and it all erupted in the season 2009-10. Any other player would have been disheartened.

In years past there were fine women players like Mumtaz Lotwala, Shashi Bhatt, Prem Parasher, Sushila Kapadia, Manda Kelkar, Meena Shah, Sudesh Minocha, Razia Latif, Vasanti Yederi, Tehmi Shroff, Siloo Vakil, Damayanti Subedar,Nirupama Pradhan, Sharayu Phalnikar, Shobha Moorthy and Uma Murthy. Lotwala was a great striker and agile. Parashar was a returning machine. Kapadia had great attacking shots. Kelkar, who died young, had steadiness and great footwork. Shashi and Minocha were good partners to our great Nandu Natekar in the mixed doubles.Uma was the partner of Prakash.

*********************************************************************************
    Full article: http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sportvicarious/entry/saina-has-put-icing-on
    *********************************************************************************

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am now preparing for the World Championships and hope to win the title

Yes, Congratulations to Saina Nehwal.

And keep up with the good work.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    While it is good that Saina has almost single-handedly aroused great interest in India on the badminton game and side-lined cricket for a while, I hope she is not too much side-tracked into the endorsement and popularity fervour that she lost sight of her WC ambition and had less time to train and focus.

Have we not noticed that the Chinese kept very much in the background with their shocked Uber Cup loss to Korea? Their silence is deafening and worrying, I would say! Do you think they would do nothing to recapture their glory days? And having a great abundance of talent even "Queen" Zhu Lin has to be "deported" as she is of not much use to them. China only sent token representation in recent SS and GP tournaments while I suppose their solid senior players remained at home to prepare for the WC summit!

So watch out Saina!

19. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    SN deserves the honour.
    It is hoped she wins the WS title in this year's WC in August in Paris and with that the World no. 1 player ranking and lots of endorsements. :):):)

20. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Yup, hopefully she at least takes over from WS no. 1 Wang Yihan, who seems to be faring like KKK/TBH this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.