Player(s) in New York, US - Anyone???

Discussion in 'USA East' started by LazyBuddy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

It's confirmed.

1. Manhattan: Wed, Fri (76 st gym), Tues, Sunday (18 st gym), same schedule, start on 7/1

2. Queens: Tues, Thurs, Fri (no sat) @ Francis Lewis HS, start on 7/3

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Went to the site on Tues night. The gym is huge with 8 courts (even though, courts a bit close to each other), and the floor is nice. Parking is very easy, with the parking lot and the almost emptied street at night. :D The main problem is the lighting is kinda bright, and one or 2 courts have basketball hoops right next by. Therefore, it's possible you might lose a shuttle to the net or basketball board. ;)

Overall, a nice alternate gym for the summer. About 30-40 ppl showed up on the 1st night, therefore, plenty of games for everyone. I expect a bit more ppl will show up in the near future.

3. azzman

azzman Regular Member

hey, any nice places to play near commack/stony brook on saturday and sunday?

i see the schedule for stony brook is OPEN REC, is there badminton usually going on at that time?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Stony Brook used to have a very active badminton club, but heard it's slowly die down recent 1-2 years. :cool: With my experience (several yrs ago, though), the summer schedule usually NOT very reliable. You better contact them to double make sure.

5. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    how is the guest fee at the 76th gym? do they rent out rackets?

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For all manhattan gyms, the walk-in (non member) fee is US$25 per session, with shuttles provided by the club. Yes, they do rent out rackets, I think it's around $2-3 per racket per session.

7. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    thanks lazybuddy! i'll be visiting manhattan soon. i hope i can play with you guys.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    So, you will be on travel or moving here? Personally, I don't go to 76st club, due to schedule conflict. These days, I only visit manhattan on sundays. ;)

9. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    i still do not know. i hope things will turn out well for me. btw, where do you play on weekdays?

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Nowdays, there are quite a few more gyms open up here and there. Depend on where you stay, and whether you have a car or access to public transportation, you might have different choices.

You can PM me later, once you know where you going to stay, and your preferred schedule. I will try to meet you up with your preferred choice, if you don't mind about my lowly playing skills. :p

11. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    i'm staying with my aunt. her flat is at east 91st and 3rd ave. okay i'll pm you once i'm there. you're so humble lazybuddy.

#191 bambini, Jul 19, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  12. owesomechild

owesomechild New Member

marketing executive
    hi,i jz discover this blog n i'm kind of amaze tht u guys r so much into badminton.In fact,i'm not so but i have a lot of friends who r as keen as u all.Will tell all my friends about this site for latest update.Thumb up to u lazybuddy for your contribution to this sport.

13. Happy_Cdn

Happy_Cdn Regular Member

I'm relatively new to the badminton scene in NY area so still trying get over the fact that it cost $25 for a single drop-in session in Manhattan.

Any advice on places to play in Manhattan for less than that? <<Besides AES ($50/yr membership) and YMCA ($15/drop-in)>>

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The price in the city is just that high.

The alternate choices are:

1. Play in clubs in Queens or Brooklyn, as they are cheaper ($10-16 range), but you need to provide your own shuttles.

2. Join membership in NYCB (mahattan locations). You can pay $200 for 1 year, and each time will be $15 (shuttle provided by club). It's a better deal, if you come to play very often.

However, in the city, getting average deal below $20 per session, is almost impossible. :eek:

15. madwolfie

madwolfie Regular Member

HR Admin
    I checked around while I was in NYC for holiday last year-end. Was there for 2 weeks and did not play a single stroke because it's just too expensive!!! :(

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes, we burn $$$ here in NYC. We pay the $$$, but the life quality is no where near to be the top. :cool:

17. madwolfie

madwolfie Regular Member

HR Admin
    I just love the museums though and peeps love walking their dogs and jogging! Would love to visit again.... a lot I missed out while I was there :)

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    NYC is a lovely place to have a tour, but once you decide to stay and stay long enough, you will see "the other side". :eek:

19. shreky

shreky Regular Member

shuttles are provided but they don't last at all .... i tried complaining or asking for another shuttle but i ended up bringing my own .... i see other people are doing it as well .... now i know why i meet a lot of people who are 'ex' NYCB members .... i guess i still go there because there are not that many clubs around our area .... i smile everytime i go to cali and pay $7-8 drop in fee

#199 shreky, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hehehehehe... don't expect too much from the "free" ones.:p

Usually, you can ask for 2nd one, if not too many ppl showing up or they have some new stocks coming in. :eek: If a lot of ppl showing up, or they are low in stock, I understand what you mean then. Of course, the easiest way is to forget about the free ones, and get your own better ones. I know a lot of ppl who prefer better games, will use their own. :rolleyes: