Pain in heel of left foot, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by exalted, Jan 8, 2008.

1. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    I was using Yonex SHB 90. I had no problems at all for the first few months with the shoes, and many of my friends still wear them and have had no problems at all. But I need a lot of cushioning, so I did a bit of research and found that Yonex shoes can lose some of theirs after a few months.

Now I use Asics Gel - have tried med/low end and top end of the range (Gel Blade). The cheaper version is the best for me, as the more expensive had a flatter sole for more grip, but I didn't like the fit. I've been playing with my cheap Asics for 15 months, and will replace them next week. They are not as good as the Yonex for grip, but they are good enough and don't give me problems. I am not anti Yonex at all, in fact I think Yonex probably have some of the best shoes on the market - but they just don't suit me.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Sorbothane is good for cushioning your feet

Just to inform you all that you could also insert a layer of sorbothane inside your shoes.

Many Badminton players swear that it is the best way to cushion your feet.

A picture depicting how good the cushioning effect is, can be found at post#17 of this thread located at:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42744

More info about sorbothane can be found located at:
    http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Sorbothane

Cheers... chris@ccc

3. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    where can you get sorbothane? and how do you use it?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Foot doctors (Podiatrists) should know about sorbothane

Hi azabaz_ipoh,

I am surprised that you have not heard of sorbothane and/or that it is not known in Malaysia.

Hear are some links located at:
    http://www.return2fitness.net/insoles_and_heel_pads/insoles/P8403sorbultra
    http://www.sportstek.net/prices/products.php?cat=11&gclid=CMH-sI2HjZECFRsFagodeW9SGg

Your foot doctors (podiatrists) in Ipoh should be able to give you some info on where to get them.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    going to see a podiatrist would mean forking out more that what a sorbothane would costs. hahahaha. anyway, yesterday i went to the guardian pharmacy looking for athletic gel heel cup. no sign of gel heel cup or sorbothane so i asked the pharmacist. she promptly lead me to a bunch of EVA insoles and heel cup. it's no sorbothane but as i recall yonex use EVA right? so i bought one pair of heel cup. tried them yesterday. will know more after more sessions. :)

6. proddy

proddy Regular Member

Student
    If I go straight into a hard game without much warm up, after the game I will feel discomfort in the middle of both my feet, it's not painful but not exactly good either. It usually goes away within 10 minutes.

7. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

%^£$*%&!!!!

Seriously though, I recommend it all the time to players at my club. . . First thing I do with new shoes is pull the liner out & put a sorbothane insole in. Don't double up on the existing liner as that's where you get the "floating" & moving feeling unless the insole has a perfect fit in the shoe.

8. ogagnon

ogagnon New Member

Teacher
    I've had problems with my heel most of my adult life, the pain comes and goes. I studied in the domain so I was able to quickly identify what was causing my pain (working with a physiotherapist). First, the pain I had may be different from yours, it was located directly on the posterior side of my heel, very low down, the bone is called calcaneous. It is the most distal point of the achilles tendon insertion. The pain is worse when not warmed up, upon waking up, or on contact, such as putting my feet up on a desk with my calcaneous (heel) pressed on a hard surface.

I had 2 bone scans performed 8 months apart. The results were exactly the same, no progress after 8 months. The scans showed stress fractures looking like a seam goin up the back of my heel, on the calcaneous, underneath my achilles tendon insertion. The physiotherapists and doctors believed it was due to repetetive high impacts, at the time I was a long jumper, so lots of plyometric motions. Although a third person, a physiotherapist/ osteopath sugessted it was due specifically to the strain plyometric motions cause on the achilles tendon and NOT due to impact. She was right, I troubleshooted the problem by stopping different activities one at a time. Hill sprints and plyometric jumping motions were responsible, while jogging and weightlifting did not affect my calcaneous negatively. The osteopath explained that this was an irritation of the periosteum, told me to stop motions that caused my achilles tendon to pull abnormally hard on the calcaneuous, such as jumping, lunging and sprinting; gave me a few stretches, including plantar aponeurosis stretches with a tennis ball, hip flexor and hamstring stretches.

It's been 14 years, and I perform these stretches before any activity I do, which is multiple times per week. I will still occaissionally get pain after a day of hiking or volleyball tournament days where multiple games are played. In the long term, it's the hip flexor stretch that seems to have helped the most, as it will corrct my posture (tendency for lordosis) and require less effort from my calves (effectively my achilles).

If your problem is underneath your heel it's more likely a problem with landing on your heel, the impact. This is easier to solve, insoles, orthotics, different shoes, etc.