Victor Super Waves 37

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Ok, beginner might be me being a bit modest. I can play the game, fairly well. Just wouldn't ever put myself to league or pro standard. I play purely for fun. But try to research in to proper play tactics and techniques as well where I can.

Also not saying you can play equally brilliant with a cheap racket (if that were true I wouldn't spend money on better rackets). Just that you can play fairly similar and still ultimately, play well. I know I've beaten members in our group with cheaper rackets just as I have more expensive one's. Though naturally, the better more expensive rackets do generally help your game.

I think more important than the racket however, is the players technique, skill, fitness, footwork, accuracy etc etc.

2. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    finally someone has come to his senses
    this is what I've been trying to say
    that a medium stiff racket is better in bringing out the speed for the shuttle
    because of the whiplash movement (moving backward and then forward at the impact)
    this provide more power actually
    while stiffer shaft is better for directional control and stability because of minimum directional changes of the frame bed
    thus it's good for placement and channeled attack

badminton is not about strength ...
    otherwise guys like Ken Shamrock, Randy Couture, Steve Austin, Dwayne Johnson, Hulk Hogan and Mike Tyson would dominate BWF world ranking :)
    this is not fighting nor boxing nor wrestling :p
    it will be the end of skinny guys like Lee Chong Wei, Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen ;)
    it's not the strength that matters ... it's the skill, know how, technique and good timing that really counts ;)

#102 jump-smash, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  3. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    I could use MX80 without having any problem and I was doing fine with it. it's a very good racket. the reason why I use SW37 is to prove that a medium stiff and even balanced racket can be as good as well. the notion and make believe that a super stiff and ultra head heavy racket is better is getting old today and it will die tomorrow and be history. otherwise it would be easy isn't it just buy the stiffest and head heaviest racket money can buy. and all the manufacturers will stop producing non stiff rackets. do they makes you a better player ??? Let's say that you are a very powerful smasher ... does it automatically makes you a champion? Does it makes you win tournament and you'll become a pro ??? Even Fu Hai Feng, Tan Boon Heong and Jung Jae Sung got their asses kicked many times. Badminton is more than just smashing as hard as you can. It's far more than that. It's also about defending and tactics.

#103 jump-smash, Apr 18, 2011
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Ultimately, the racket is just a tool used by the player.

And the tool has an inherent compromise between power (ie. mass) and speed. Just due to the limitations of physics, you can't have both. But knowing that
    kinetic energy = 1/2 mv^2
    as demolidor pointed out 2 pages ago
    we realize that speed is more important, as you have pointed out.

Re stiffness, one of the compromises of a flex shaft for power is that it'll lack the immediacy, accuracy, and instant response that is required in fast drive exchanges, which is much more important in doubles than singles play. That's why you'll see more pro doubles players use extra stiff headlight to balanced rackets like ns9900.

#104 visor, Apr 18, 2011
  5. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    so now it's becoming obvious isn't it?
    it doesn't take a genius to read between the lines
    you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out

so I guess it four of us who agree on this
    me aka jump_smash, Maklike Tier, demolidor, and you visor

not sure about the other
    maybe they would rather join the "Sledge Hammer Club" :)

so who's with me ???

6. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    If someone with a magic wand could grant me speed or power, I'd hesitate for .0001 of a second before saying.....

SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED.

:D

Having said that though, I am a fan of the Superwaves and I think if I was playing more singles I'd probably get another SW35 or even consider this considering the luck I've have with the medium-stiff BS12.

When I do get the odd game of singles, I do reach for my BS11 which is the head heaviest of the Braveswords (unless the BS09 is more head heavy, I'm not sure), so I can see where the SW37 could have a lot of fans.

Certainly those that like rackets like the Armortec Tour, 900T, and those sort of rackets should probably get a SW37 and give it a go.

7. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    so last night I played two games
    I use MX80 and SW37
    with MX80 the smashes are more steep in angle
    while with SW37 the smashes are more flat
    it's more difficult to control smash direction with SW35 ... I even hit the shuttle outside the line
    but with MX80 it's more precise / accurate so it is better for channeled attack
    although with the SW37 your opponents will never know where your shots will go
    so you'll keep them guessing ... whether is gonna be flat or acute angle
    it's good for surprises and variations of shots hahaha LOL

I also had a friend called Nico to do all the smashes with SW37 and MX80 while I defend with BS10
    I can see that the shuttle fly faster toward me when he use SW37 but it's more flat then when he use MX80
    so this confirm my own observation at the beginning

8. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Jump-smash, you need to remember that different users will get more power from different rackets, strings, tensions etc. Only a strong enough user will be able to get the most out of a head heavy, stiff racket, which is why these sorts of rackets are often recommended for advanced or power players. It is the same thing with string tension. Lower tensions, much like with more flexible rackets, will benefit with more power for the less strong player (similar trampolining or flex flick effect), or players who prefer to play less agressive constantly. In the same way stronger players may also prefer and benefit from higher string tensions and stiffer and/or head heavier rackets.

I guess what I'm getting at is, just because your friend Nico has faster smashes with the SW37, doesn't another player might not have faster smashes with the MX80. These sorts of things are very subjective. At the moment I'm finding I personally prefer stiffer rackets (seem to get more control and power from them) but dislike very high string tensions (27lbs and above). The reason is I play long sessions, and simply do not have the strength or stamina to maintain that degree of power to make use of ultra high tensions. 24lbs mains, 26lbs crosses seems to be the sweet spot. I'm thinking of switching to flexier rackets when I want less strenuous play as well. I figure I might get the BS12 or SW37 just to check them out.

BS12 should favour speed and the SW37 slightly more power based on the frame designs.

#108 Naim.F.C, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

Jump

What you observe makes sense.

The head heavier racket has greater momentum for power, but too much momentum impedes the wrist from angling down on the smash to create a sharper angle.

Naim

I believe you'll have a chance in a week's time when you receive your vt80 to evolve your hypothesis to observation and conclusion.

10. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I will indeed Visor :D

Just one problem though, it's a 4U VT80, so should be lighter than my MX80 (3U). Then again, from what I have read, it will still be a fair degree head heavier and still stiffer. Should be an interesting match up.

11. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    yes visor there are different timing for stiff and flexible shaft
    for more flexible shaft usually the smashes end up flat because of the bending of the shaft make the frame / string bed also facing more upward position rather than downward
    but the whipping of the shaft make the speed faster when the frame snap back into position on impact
    this explain why the birdy flies faster towards me
    I could barely see it coming :p

and it has something to do with is Kick Point also
    for an instance you tie a short chain to a pole / rod and at the end you attach a steel ball
    then on the other one you use a longer chain but a shorter pole / rod
    so the total length of both weapon is the same
    which one will do more damage ???
    the one with shorter chain right

#111 jump-smash, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Wait, so is it more powerful to have a kick point higher up to the T or lower down by the cone?

13. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    of course the one with KP higher to the T-joint rather than the one lower to the cone / handle ...

14. visor

visor Regular Member

So, after some reading up on "kickpoint" and "bend profile" which is more widely applied in golf, I have a better understanding.

In a nutshell, it doesn't provide more power either way whether high or low kick point, but if you use the one that is matched to your swing then that is what will give you more power.

Whether it is better for you to use a high or low kick point, or flex vs stiff shaft will depend on your swing speed, acceleration, and release of your swing.

It's all about having the racket face contact squarely with the bird being optimally timed during the stroke for best power transfer.

Hence, the advanced player with a fast, rapidly accelerated, delayed release (ie compact) swing will get better power from a stiff shaft with high kick point. On the other hand, the beginner with a slower swing with early release (ie longer) swing will benefit from a flex shaft with low kick point. Of course these are just extremes and most people will fall into the spectrum between.

#114 visor, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  15. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    @visor
    thanks for the research man ... I really appreciate that
    so from what you've stated above I could see that
    the stiffness or BP or KP of a racket will not determine the POWER
    but it's the one that suits the USER best that will help the user to harvest the maximum potential power
    am I right ?

so I'm looking forward for customized rackets that are tailored made for users
    because each and every person is unique
    it has very little to do with the assumption whether a user is not strong enough to use a stiff shaft
    just like Lee Yong Dae maybe he is not suitable for extra stiff rackets but not that he is too weak or something

so next time there is a new racket coming out
    and just by looking at the specs
    don't be judgmental and say that it is too flexible and it will have less power
    the best way to find out is to actually try it yourself

#115 jump-smash, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, especially your last sentence.

And that's why racket companies will continue to do very well selling (and especially marketing) new models as we the users continue to search for the holy grail of rackets.

Another thing to keep in mind is that each of us are improving (hopefully!) our technique with experience as we play more, so our needs can/will eventually change over time. And again this is good for the profit of the racket companies. :p

17. kia9106

kia9106 Regular Member

Students
    How much for one Super Wave 37 in Malaysia before discount?

18. Zulfalini

Zulfalini Regular Member

Engineering
    RM499.90 if not mistaken

19. kia9106

kia9106 Regular Member

Students
    woo~~~ RM 100 Cheaper than BS 12 !

20. kia9106

kia9106 Regular Member

Students
    Super wave is head heavy or Even Balance? Same as BS 12?