Yonex NBG98 vs BG66 Ultimax?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by RSLvictorSOTX, Apr 19, 2011.

1. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Finally strung my racquets with BG66UM...should be able to discern between NBG98 when I hit the courts, both NBG98 and BG66UM are strung at 28/30 with 2 of my SiW35, so should be pretty exciting. I just hope it is much much more durable than BG66 original.

2. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    I tried two sets of BG66UM, I failed the first set and I have quite a few tiny ripped coating randomly on the stringbed on the second set. I strung it on 26x28 lbs (pre-tension 10%) with tennishead 2086. I had strung few sets of NBG98, I can say there may be one tiny ripped coating. I don't know whether I set the fixed clamp just not tight enough. If I set the clamp too tight, the string may be crushed. If I set the clamp not enough, the string will slide through the clamps. At high tension, the string is easily ripped by sharp edge of tools or even finger nail. So I feel not confident to do the third set.

3. Petah

Petah Regular Member

I can't be certain yet as i have only had the BG66UM for around 3 weeks (it was also my first set). However, unlike some have reported, i found the NBG98 were not bad in retaining it's tension. I think the 2 strings are comparable in that department.

On another note, the BG66UM that i have on my racket is getting "more life" as time goes on. I think this string reqiures lower tension that the NBG98 to get the same effects.

4. RSLvictorSOTX

I hope they are at least comparable...but of course I want it to be superior, otherwise what's the point for the switch? Personally, holding tension is more important than durability, in my opinion.

5. RSLvictorSOTX

Finally had a go at it for 4 hours (using 2 SiW35 at 28/30 tension). Overall, NBG98 is more durable and repulsive. BG66 Ultimax is great all around. Good control (net shots), accurate, and very strong in smashes (which makes me miss my Z-Slash for the sole purpose of smashing alone.).

At the 3rd hour the Ultimax broke, which is fine by me considering I gave it a lot of smashing. The regular BG66 last me about 15 to 30 minutes at 28/30 tension.

Switch? Hmmm, for the time being I've decided to keep on using both NBG98 and Ultimax for all my paired racquets until I log more court hours to make a proper assessment.

6. Petah

Petah Regular Member

OK, i have now played with the BG66UM for 3 weeks and i can give it an honest review. In terms of repulsion, it's less than the NBG98 but i wouldn't say by much. However, the BG66UM has more net play control as the bird seems to jump off the face of the NBG98, harder to control but if you can control it, the NBG98 IMO is a better string since it offers more power. For me, i find it's a matter of getting used to the NBG98 at the net and it's controllable so that is my go to string. Infact, i have already sold off my reel of BG66UM and will buy a reel of NBG98.

Things worth noting: in my experience, the BG66UM requires a lower tension than the NBG98 to get similar performance. The NBG98 also retained tension better than the BG66UM. Hope this will help people when choosing a string. =)

Rezza Chua likes this.
  7. nickspeed9900

nickspeed9900 Regular Member

RJCAF
    i second that! I personally vote the Ultimax

8. sepang

sepang Regular Member

I agree on your review. I have been using BG66UM for 2 months. The control is good but the replusion is less than NBG98. My opponents really feel the difference on the speed and power of my smash. In addition, it does not last long. BG66UM breaks every week (I played 5 times x 2 hrs each session). NBG99 last 2-3 weeks.

9. sirbass

sirbass Regular Member

i play badminton 8 hours a week
    for me nbg 98 doesnt lose tension very fast, its been 4 months and I only lost 2-3 pounds in 4 months
    very repulsive(like VERY!) but less feel than the nbg 95, although there is little difference in control IMO
    95 and 98 need higher tension to get the nice sound , but you also need good swing technique and speed or you're just wasting time and money
    string at 27lbs voltric zforce
    never tried ultimax but the one person I know says he likes the power and sound

10. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    after playing with bg66um exclusively for the last little while, i have found my go to string. i like the hard feeling it gives and at 25lbs is super repulsive for me. tension does drop a bit but then stabilizes relatively well. sadly i broke my last set of bg66um so i'll be using ashaway zymax65 for a little bit.

also, bg66um is loud XD

11. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    Based on my experience and many comments at other threads, one of the main disadvantage of BG66U is that it loses its tension quite fast.. maybe around 2 weeks and you will feel the difference. This is the reason why I am looking to try new string and NBG98 is one of my choice... But NBG98 doesn't come in many colour choices, which is a let down :(

12. Rivai Zhukov

Rivai Zhukov Regular Member

Student
    I have played both NBG98 and BG66UM (JP Strings) using the same racket.
    NBG98 has better durability and power (good for offensive play), but slippery.
    BG66UM has excellent feel and control, but durability is the worst in Yonex string lineup.

13. brisac

brisac Regular Member

what to you think, how would bg66 ultimax be on VTZF on 27lbs?

14. brisac

brisac Regular Member

i see that a lot of guys have a problem with durability with bg66um. but it's only 0.01 mm thinner than nbg98. it shouldn't be a big problem. if u know how to string, bg66um on 12,5kg (28lbs) should last you a few weeks. also the CS carbon nanotube on nbg98 makes the string very slippery that's not good. nbg98 has a high repulsion but bg66um has excellent control AND repulsion.
    everyone has his own choice but mine is BG66UM ;)

15. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    both have pros and cons, i'm thinking to combine the two, to lower the dullness of 66U after 2 weeks of playing, and ng98 to increase holding tension, any1 tried this hybrid combination please advice.
    should I string NG98 vertical and 66UM horizontal or other way around? target tension is 25lbx27lb.

16. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

If playability is what you after then few strings from Yonex's offerings can beat BG66UM. The feel of a fresh BG66UM is simply superb and you will know it is not called "Ultimax" for nothing. Though rated medium feel by Yonex, it feels softer than NBG98 (which I believe is the reference for a medium feeling string). Touch and control for BG66UM is just excellent. An ideal tournament string I would say.

When compared to BG66UM, NBG98 has a dull feeling, typical of NBG95/98, though it gets better after the "break-in" period. IMO it performs better at higher tensions and is more suited for offensive players. More durable than BG66UM and keeps tension longer.

The BG66UM does come with several drawbacks. It is comes with a premium price tag but in your case NBG98 isn't cheap either. It is the thinnest Yonex string with a delicate outer coating which could be easily bruised/damaged so make sure you find a decent stringer. It drops tension fast and feel goes away overtime. So if you are sensitive to feel and tension drop then this string will be quite expensive to keep.

Just my two cents. Hope that helps :)

17. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

I happend to string with those two strings on one racquet, even with the same tension:p It was NBG98 for mains and BG66 UM for crosses. For me it is usually the mains that breaks so I choose a more durable string for the mains. Quite a repulsive stringbed, somewhere between "pure" BG66UM and NBG98. You may find it to your liking.

Cheers,

18. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Regular Member

Student
    I've 4 ZF2. 3 for my friends and 1 for me. Strung with BG66UM, NBG98, BG80 and BG85 blue. Looks awesome. But I can't find any BC members who used blue grips and strings so far? Anyone?

19. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

I am a fan of both the NBG 98 and UM66....

NBG 98 - wonderful repulsion, and excellent control when strung > 25lbs. However, kinda expensive to restring it (especially the JP version - which has my fave red colour).

UM 66 - cheaper alternative, powerful and repulsive at the same time (more than NBG98). Control is not that good though, and there is the tension loss....

So, I will look at my wallet when I need to restring. Enough money? NBG98. Not much? UM66.

Oh yeah, there's the colours too to consider..... you can't match a blue colour string with an orange racket, can you?

20. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

I never realise until now that n98 has a red version!!! Gonna try it on one racket (the strings look pricey though.. ><)!!!!

Oh ya, I saw a metallic black for n98 on rakuten... +.+