Kenneth Jonassen as new MS coach Badminton England

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by cooler, Mar 9, 2010.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- Hmm, surprised jamesd20 didn't see my whole point and only pointed to that portion. Actually i've mentioned the whole point in post #34 and #36.
    - What's wrong with 1/3%? too low? or too much?..:p..how much percentage would you give to KJ/a coach as credit?..

I'll give another illustration:
    TH has had basically the same coach for the last 10 or so yrs. He won the WC and OG back in 2004 and 2005 (and maybe 2006 AG). Then why up until now, he hasn't won anything bigger yet since? Not even a SS title?..Is it really because his coach hasn't given him enough good tips??..Who's responsibility is that?..
    And yes, i concur we can't judge KJ with Rajiv's 1 win over JOJ..

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Sorry it seems jamesd20 is a bit slow today...I don't understand your whole point.

Putting % credit to coach on players is impossible. I would say 33% is high however. From beginner stage naturally coachin is 100%, but once professional player it is as I say impossible to tell.

TH is TH. He plays and trains in fits & spurts. When you play for so many years your desire naturally will come & go. The coach is the constant in Taufik life & can be credited quite a lot, since he has won everything except AE...

When coaches come & go in players lives it is harder. The ENG MS players have had many coaches over the past few years....there performances however are much the same. KJ acts as catalyst in motivation as he is a great player they look upto and respect, but it is in 2-3 years he should be judged/credited If he has "turned" Raj into a constant in the top 10 and reaching finals/maybe winning some SS events, then he has accomplished a great achievment. If Raj goes out in 1st, 2nd round mostly, maybe reach a few QF/SF and is in the top 20-30, then I would suggest there has been little impact.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Up to the players (incl. opponent) to decide the outcome..

- I'll highlight the parts in bold, in my 2 posts below, to show you my point.
    - Yes, i'm referring to pro players level not beginner level stage.
    - I brought up the TH example w/the same coach to show that a coach plays minimal impact in a pro players performance. At least, to me, it's 33%. For you maybe less, that's fine.
    - Also notice the 6th post before post #34, why no mention of credit also goes to the players (Rajiv and to an extent JOJ for playing below par)? Aren't they the ones who executed and determined the outcome? If credit given to coach Kenneth, how much?..
    - If i recall, Kenneth was already part of the ENG coaching staff prior to this yr's European Championships. Guess what, Rajiv played vs. JOJ and Rajiv lost in straight games. Add to that, it was their first meeting. I thought KJ would already give JOJ lots of tips already by then if one wants to use the argument that KJ knows JOJ. This was actually their 2nd meeting since KJ joined the ENG squad.

#43 ctjcad, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

KJ only joined Badminton England after the Thomas cup(2 months after European Championships). Part of the reason why RO can upset JOJ is because KJ knows JOJ's games inside out.

As in why we got different results in both RO vs JOJ and RO vs LCW, I assumed you have been surfing the forum long enough to figure out why.
    As a general statement, the coach do play a big part in some players' performance. The coach is the one who design the training routines for the trainees and any wrong analysis from the coach part could hinder the player's development(we are not talking about training a player like Lin Dan caliber who has been on the top of the podium and knows what he should train to keep up). And trust in your coach is very important, if you do not trust your coach(doubt his caliber because he doesn't has olympic medals under his belt), you will start to doubt your own game and your coach analysis and that's a physcology disadvantage when you are playing on court.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- Okay (just checked an article to confirm that). But i still think for the most part and at the end, it comes down to execution from the players (RO and JOJ). KJ giving tips to RO probably only plays a very small part (1st time RO with KJ vs. JOJ). Where's the credit to RO and to an extent JOJ (for not playing up to his standard)? If it's as easy as the tips given by KJ, in deciding the outcome, then RO probably could've won 21-10, 21-10; considering JOJ and RO are probably even in playing level...anyway, we'll see the next time around they meet.
    - Mind explaining LD's loss vs. PSH, with TXH and XXZ sitting there & coaching him? I think putting the emphasis on coaches as a big factor or part, even in some players' performance is a bit overrated, esp. with pros. By doing that, it implies, whether a player wins or loses, the results depend on his or her coach. IMO, it'll always come down to mostly the players (and the opponents) to perform and decide the result. A good example is, will assigning TXH and/or XXZ to a player like Nguyen Tien Minh transform him to a world beater like LD?..

#45 ctjcad, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    My thoughts on LD were made clear in AE. I am puzzled why LYB brought TXH to WC. Maybe he thinks he is the magic tonic - I still think he is, but the player must be in the right state of mind.

With respect to the NTM idea - that I would like to see. I think he would be very motivated by being coached by XXZ & TXH and I tihnk he has great basics (speed, gernal techniques etc..) he just needs to piece it all together. Never going to happen, but on a different level is is a similar situation with RO & KJ. RO will play out of his skin to impress the great player.

7. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i don't think ntm giving enough time he could be a world beater if he is in the hands of xxz & txh.

why txh only go for lin dan?

i think there must be some specific reasons

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Don't understand first line, sorry.

Maybe TXH take partner for romantic week in Paris, just called by the stadium?!

9. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i think txh is concentrating on lin dan more than other,

you think there is any specific reasons behind?

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Kenneth's current pupil, Carl Baxter, just lost to Kenneth's ex-teammate, Joachim Persson, in straight games..
    what happened??..did Kenneth forget to give enough playing tips to Carl??..:confused:

11. aaronhor

aaronhor Regular Member

student
    I sincerely hope Kenneth will bring the English players to a higher level, on par with those top players from China , Malaysia, korea, Indonesia, and of course Denmark.

#51 aaronhor, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Kenneth just beat carl baxter in germany league i think:D

13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    if he did, i am sure its experience against fitness i think:D