badminton étiquette: how do you hand the bird to your opponents or your partner?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I pass the shuttle over the net to the server (slow pace of course); most people at my club do this.
    But one person always just pushes the shuttle under the net (very unkindly), even after winning the point shoving it to the partner, instead of giving it nicely... I totally hate that!!! :mad:

2. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Usually im very angry after losing a point and then i tend to walk around with the shuttle in my hand for a while. when opponent starts looking at me or talking to me, i accept i must pass the shuttle so then i hit it as long as i can in the direction of the servive box where opponent NOT have to serve next, so that he must walk a longer distance to pick it up. gives me more time to calm down and think positive again.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If I'm close to the net, I'll flick it under. From further away, just hit it over.

If the opponents have just done a particularly jammy shot... I aim for the bin and shout "FETCH!";)

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

The most annoying thing for me:

opponents play shot into net => shuttle lands on floor near the net. The lady *swipes* at the shuttle to flick it near our tee, but swipes at the FEATHERS. I have only ever seen ladies do this! Talk about killing shuttles...

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

opponents:
    i generally hit/shove the shuttle in a friendly manner so that the opponent can easily catch it (with his hand or racket). that's 99% of all occasions.
    in very very rare occasions (when the opponent starts being bitchy or playing mental games) i sometimes just push the shuttle under the net so that he has to pick it up.

partners:
    usually i use this "racket as a basket" option to give my doubles-partner the shuttle. or just hand it to him/her while having a short tactical conversation.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think as long as your not bashing it away or flicking it only three inches from the ground under the net(see the pro's do this all the time), then all is good.
    I suppose logically the less the shuttle is touched by sweaty hands the better so flicking it back, so opponent has to pick it up with racket is best. And I suppose ultimate ettiquette always give the shuttle to your partner directly and for opponent always scoop shuttle up the softly hit it over the net to them.
    One thing i have seen change is winner of point never gets shuttle even if they are next to it at the net and opponent at back court. I can remember it used to be whoever closest basically, strangely this ettiquette seems to flip the higher the standard you get.

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

yeah that's quite common to let the opponent give you the shuttle after he hit it in the net and NOT take it yourself, even if you're really next to the net and could easily get it.

if the opponent starts to do such things, i usually start just pushing the shuttle 30cm under the net to his side of the court, then he can get it there. this belongs to the department "mental games" and is not part of etiquette...;-)

8. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    isn't it just who ever side it's on? someone might win because opponent hit it out. the winner doesn't expect the opponent to go around the net and pick it up for them. so when you win and the opponent is back court the opponent doesn't expect you to reach under the net.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I was trying to point out a flip in etiquette. Take this specific, easy to understand example. I hit a Drop shot from the back court and it hits the net and my opponent was pressuring the net so is standing there. Excepted etiquette in pro badminton is for opponent to walk away from the shuttle whilst I walk the length of the court and pass the shuttle to him. I do not believe this is acceptable etiquette out with pro badminton. Traditionally and socially the guy at the net should just scoop the shuttle up and take it with him.

10. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    don't want to be a grammar nazi, but in this case it does make a difference as it would mean the opposite. i think you're saying and i agree with that in pro badminton it is accepted behaviour to leave the loser to pick up the net shuttle even if they are further away. but in casual/social games you should just scoop it up/flick it back if you're closer, even if you have to reach under the net a bit.

#30 BaggedCat, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What would mean the opposite? sorry i tried to make it as simple as possible.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Hmmm.... mustard and relish.... you'd make a good burgher! :D just make sure you don't get into a pretty pickle! :p

13. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Could someone explain me what all of you guys mean with the "tray thing"? :D
    Nice topic btw :)

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

You run over and get the tray out of your badminton bag that you should always have, and present the shuttle to your partner with it.:D

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I keep a baking tray in my bag for this. don't you? :confused:

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you guys have such cheap trays.

my tray is made of the best quality Japanese carbon fiber you can find the market and laced with the best nylon filament wounded together into a strong tubular structure. it is also stealthy and does not require me to walk anywhere else to pick it up.

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    That's because you get your trays mostly free. :(

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    free lunch don't come with my trays.

19. Dread97

Dread97 Regular Member

I can't scoop up shuttles for some reason (i know it's really sad XD) so i usually just throw it or just hit it back in their general direction

20. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    :eek:......
    You should do some Anti-Aggression Training. Can't believe...