China Masters should be scrapped and get replaced another country to host a SS

Discussion in '2012 Tournaments' started by Miqilin7, Apr 6, 2012.

1. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    are you sure ??

GPG total prize money is around $120,000 right ??
    that's around 1 billion (1 miliar) rupiahs...

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Oh sorry...I added one more zero. It should be equivalent to IC-level tourneys (US$15k) right now.

I heard we are pushing for more IC/IS tourneys to be held in Indonesia...in that case we can upgrade the more high-profile Sirnas like Jakarta Open or other private-sponsored tourneys like the Indocock-Specs Walikota Surabaya Cup to be upgraded to points-bearing tourneys. That will serve the Pratama players and other local clubs well!

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I hope to see the following in South East Asia:
    INDONESIA - 1 SSP, 1 GPG, 1 GP, 1 IC, 1 IS + at least 1 Junior tourneys
    MALAYSIA - 1 SS, 1 GPG, 1 IC, 1 IS + 1 Junior tourneys
    SINGAPORE - 1 SS/GPG, 1 IC/IS + 1 Junior tourneys
    THAILAND - 1 SS/GPG, 1 IC/IS + 1 Junior tourneys
    VIETNAM - 1 GPG/GP, 1 IC + 1 Junior IC tourneys
    PHILIPPINES - 1 GPG/GP, 1 IC/IS + 1 Junior IC tourneys

If these can happen, even a junior player can be guaranteed playing in 5 junior tourneys for ranking purpose each year, while those 19-21 yo can also participate in at least 5-10 IS/IC/GP/GPG level tourneys.

PS: expect some development in Philippines badminton and hopefully more sponsorships for tourneys!

#23 badMania, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I was at the Macau GPG event a few years ago. (i think it was 2008, but i am not sure.) LCW was playing against Taufik. And guess what. The stadium was 95% empty. There was only a few dozen people watching. It was embarrassing. The organizer got lots of money, but they couldn't find people to come to watch.

And then there was the 2007 Super Series Masters Final. It had to be cancelled because BWF couldn't find enough sponsors. And that was beyond embarrassing.

I hope the above would never happen again in badminton.

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The 2010 Macau Open GPG was also empty....even though it was held at the Venetian Macau.

They just prefer to gamble rather than watching badminton. So, hopefully Macau will not be given the SS slot.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    interestingly, Guangzhou has produced many gold medalists of Olympics, World Championship and All England. With a population of 10 millions, I don't understand why Guangzhou doesn't have its own SS or GPG event.

7. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Could you provide the names please lol....

8. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Indonesia might have 1 Junior International Challenge + 1 Junior International Series soon... ;)

It is a good idea for the Philippines to have 1 Junior Future Series and Thailand to have 1 Junior International Series....

badMania... I know we are talking about future possibilites in this thread... I just wanna note that in the current rulebook, BAC is allowed to get 2 Junior IC, 5 Junior IS, and virtually limitless Junior FS.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Helping the inactive countries to grow and popularize the game, though difficult, is admirable. But to penalize the active, though numerically small countries like SIN, which have supported the world body all these years is not a way to go.

This is like the "big" countries trying to bully the small countries just because of their sheer size. Without big ticket events like the SS, the popularity of the game will be adversely affected in such hitherto active but smaller countries.

Now the "big boys" are already ahead with the SS Premier in addition to having the equivalent of SS, Masters or GP which attract many top players. One could argue that such "big boys" should not be favoured if the objective is to spread badminton's popularity in all
    corners of the globe.

BWF should not be seen as discriminating against small countries which have made good
    contributions in the past. SIN has often been cited as an excellent venue to host big events. If the discrimination is carried out this will be akin to what has been described earlier as tantamounting to being "racist" in the US example on sponsorship.

So don't use big country, big population to discriminate against the small ones.

#29 Loh, Apr 9, 2012
  10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Xie Xingfang got one OG silver medal, two WC gold and one silver medals, and three All England gold medals. YangWei/Zhang Jiawem won one Olympic gold and two WC gold medals, etc..

11. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    LOL ! I think most of the successful players come from the Jiangsu province and here are the examples:

Cai Yun
    Wang Shixian
    Yang Yang
    Zhao Jianhua
    etc heheh

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Are you sure about that? I went to Guangzhou for the China Open 2006 AND China SS 2007! So, Guangzhou has held SS event.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Guangzhou has also hosted Thomas Cup.

Guangzhou is a city that likes badminton a lot!

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

And 2 years ago, it hosted the Asian Games 2010. So, one cannot say that Guangzhou has not hosted major badminton events.

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    The other reason why Europeans hardly get any tournaments at SS or Premier level as in voting system in BWF' annual meeting, Asian members outnumber the European members and there is quote and unquote that Asian members are being asked to support their Asian members....that's why Swiss SS lost to India and European protested that the is no way they could win the majority votes in this way...and that's another reason why BWF compromised Denmark open became Premier SS...if BWF wants to have SS outside of Asia or Europe...they should scrap that system ..otherwise it is tough to have another SS outside Asia and Europe....if bidding process is used then Asia will get all SS and Premier...

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    My suggestion to BWF......

My suggestion to BWF is:

There should be at least one SS tournament held in each of their 5 Continental Confederations, namely;
    * Africa
    * Asia
    * Europe
    * Oceania
    * Pan America

http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14892

So far, the Africa, Oceania and Pan America confederations are waiting to have one.

If BWF wish to ignore the African, Oceanian and Pan American confederations, then these confederations might as well be combined with the Asian and/or European confederations, and renamed the confederations as Eastern and Western Confederations.

#36 chris-ccc, Apr 9, 2012
  17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    We are sidestepping the real BIG problem for badminton.. And that is the current tournament format!!!!

I do not think badminton ever vill be a major sport for sponsors and TV, as long as we embrace the "team"-format even for individual SS tournaments.

Players, like many of us here at BC, like the format from a social standpoint, but from commercial perspective it kills our beloved sport!!

We have to start by breaking out the different disciplines to different tours. What we need is a "Mens singles tour" and separate tournaments with all focus on ONE winner per torunament!! Tickets and TV rights could be sold separately for aeach individual event, and price money distributed accordingly given market evaluatioon (sponsor + ticket income).

The current format has the problem of encouraging "team"-thinking on tours over individual player thinking, and also makes even big sponsor torunament payout poorly to the winners of mainly mans singles and doubles (which are most likely the disciplines valued the highest among fans, sponsors and Media).

I would propose a tournament format with. two rounds a day, with
    day 0: Qualification (4-courts)
    day 1: Rd64 + rd32 (4-courts)
    day 2: rd32 (2-courts)
    day 3: rd16 + quarter (2-courts, 1-court)
    day 4: semi + final. (1-court)

/TJ

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    BWF created it's own problem by having a set number of SS events.

We all know the sport is trying to attract more money. If so, why downgrade tournaments?

We all want upgrades of the tournaments - that's universally agreed. But the limitation of SS events creates another problem. Namely people want to downgrade tournaments like China Masters, HK, Singapore, Swiss.

If those events can attract the money, why downgrade at all? All you do is reduce the money in the sport. It's really difficult to get sponsorship and once you lose a sponsor, are you really sure that they will come back? What about those lost sponsorship dollars? Will they really stay in badminton?

Let's take Macau as a scenario. OK, small place, small audience but lots of cash. That's because the Administration there puts money into it to promote the name of Macau. If you restrict the Macau Open, the potential money from the Macau Administration is lost from the sport and lost from players.

How about the Swiss Open? Yes, very disappointing it lost its status as a SS. And why? Was it lack of sponsorship money? Or was it because of a rule that limited the number of SS in a year.

Let's look at HK/Singapore? I think these tournaments also have some government funding and support (if not, it's very likely!). Good attendance as well. School children attend as part of school outings which raises interest in the sport. Let's say we downgrade them...their badminton association is going to think, "why work so hard to get extra sponsorship? It's not going to help...". So, in the future, there is no incentive for those badminton associations to get more money into the sport.

How about a new country? Let's say Peru (or even Philipines:)) Economics can change and suddenly the sport attracts money in that country. What do you do? Take away another tournament's status or let the new country/tournament "join the club". What is the better option for the sport and for the players?

Ultimately, I think the players lose out with a downgrade of tournaments - well, it seems like shooting oneself in the foot....upgrading of tournaments (without downgrading others) seems like a winner to me ;)

BWF can always review the level of sponsorship required to grant SS status (as Krisna mentioned). That probably is a better option. Just having a fixed number of SS tournaments in one year is definitely regressive. It also wastes energy with useless discussions on reducing a tournament status when our focus should be on promotion! Look at all the useless discussions on "Asia vs Europe" on the tournament status - no wonder other countries can't get a SS :mad::mad:

#38 Cheung, Apr 9, 2012
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wrong criteria for having it's own SS tournament. Previously, China Open was held in Guangzhou.

Better to say GuangDong - Yang Wei, Zhang JieWen, Fu HaiFeng off the top of my head.

But the statement by pcll99 did not state Guangzhou produced the "most", merely "many";) Anyway, that's going off topic

#39 Cheung, Apr 9, 2012
  20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Super post, Cheung. Very thought-provoking, and clear-cut points.
    Some questions:

What is the basis of allocation for F1 circuits? Why is there a limitation on the number of circuits in a calendar year?

How do drivers achieve the status of a F1 driver?