Zakry and Fairuzizuan decide to become independent players

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by jug8man, Aug 20, 2011.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

[h=2]Badminton: Fairuz: We have gone as far as we can[/h] K.M. Boopathy
    boopathy@nst.com.my
    2011/08/22

ZAKRY Latif and Fairuzizuan Tazari believe overstaying in the national team will negatively impact younger pairs hence their decision to quit the BA of Malaysia.
    Fairuz, 28, also admitted he and Zakry had progressed as far as they could in the national squad, prompting them to look for other means to lengthen their careers.

Fairuz said although they could have carried on playing until the Olympics next year, it would have been unfair on his current partner Ong Soon Hock, 26, and Zakry's partner Hoon Thien How, 25.

"We have achieved our maximum as a national senior pair together and with others and it is time to move on. We did have an option until the Olympics but that would be unfair on our partners. They can now look for younger partners to prolong their careers," said Fairuz yesterday.

"There are so many back-up pairs coming through but normally, the senior pairs get to compete more due to qualification for major events and this delays the succession process. Now the back-up pairs will definitely get more opportunities to compete.

"My pairing with Soon Hock is ranked World No 18 and I would stand a better chance (of Olympic qualification) but there is no guarantee we can produce results.

"I would rather start afresh with Zakry and if we can qualify for the Olympics, it would be fantastic. However, we don't want to be stumbling blocks to the youngsters anymore."

Zakry-Fairuz made an impact between 2006 and 2008 where they were ranked as high as World No 8 and were in the running to gain an Olympic berth ahead of Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah but the BA of Malaysia (BAM) settled for the veteran pair.

Their performance suffered since then and they were split last year.

Zakry said they will play as an independent pair and select their tournaments based on their form, condition and most importantly, without the pressure of being a national pair.

"Being a national pair comes with high expectations and it was tough when Thien How and I couldn't perform the way we wanted. Now our (Zakry-Fairuz) destiny is in our hands," said Zakry.

"BAM has given us permission to train with the national team three times a week and we will also train on our own. We are both 28 and it would be tough to remain in the national team when we are not doing well.

"At least, the new beginning will give us a chance. Zakry and I have partnered before and gelling will not be a problem.

"Our main aim is to aim for a Thomas Cup spot next year and we will also battle for Olympic qualification even though it will be very difficult."

Zakry-Fairuz's first event together will be the Indonesia Open grand prix gold in East Kalimantan on Sept 27-Oct 2. They will also play in the Denmark and French Opens in October.

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/f23rf/Article/art_print

Smart answer....

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As I recalled, this "Fuzzy" pair has given us some great exciting moments with their notable triumphs and made many MAS fans jubilant just a few years ago.

They have now passed their peak and realized that they are unable to recapture their glory days again, more so at their "over-the-hill" age. They are unlike LCW, who is one of a kind, dedicated solely to badminton and if he kept up his fitness and training, he could perhaps last as long as the irrefutable 34-year-old PG, who still displayed remarkable fitness and agility during the recent Wembley Arena World Championships where he lost in three SF games to the eventual winner, the Great Dan, who also crashed the dreams of LCW in the final.

"Uncle" WCH is almost the same age as PG, yet he still remains as MAS No.2, ahead of the younger Hafiz. The younger players proved to be inadequate. But as an independent player, uncle WCH has to do everything by himself (ants also confirmed this in an earlier post), with little financial and related help. He had to stay in a budget hotel during the WC whereas his compatriots from the BAM stable must have much better accommodation and facilities - a better badminton life so to speak.

Surprise as it may seem, maybe the sounding bells had been struck when their coach Rexy separated the Fuzzy duo when they did not seem to improve anymore. But that action only led to their subsequent demise although the new partnership of Zakry and Hoon Thien How gave initial glimpses of success at the recent WC when they first beat USA Howard Bach & Tony Gunawan 21-17, 21-14 only to lose narrowly to TPE Fang & Lee 24-26, 19-21 on day 2.

Zakry and Fairuz have given their best to serve MAS and truly deserve the "semi-retirement" they now seek for. BAM did the right thing to release them without conditions so that they can still earn some money as players or coaches. To expect them to rise again as independent players is asking too much since independent players (IPs) are now at a great disadvantage as the case of uncle WCH has revealed. To think that badminton IPs can one day match those in professional tennis will take many years, even decades, so long as the prize moneys are relatively low by comparison.

#22 Loh, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wonder if it is actually better for players to go out and fight for themselves in the real world is actually better than having them pampered in the national organization. without having to worry about not making any money every month to feed themselves, players can get complacent and be subsequently too lazy to fight. now that they are out of the comfort of the national team, they will have work extra hard to earn their worth and living. giving them a much better incentive to go above and beyond their abilities and expectations.

at least that's the hope. let's see if something good too pan out of this.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Theorectically it may seem to be the case.

But in reality it may not turn out to be, otherwise we will not have a gulf between successful and not so successful people in the market place. Much also depends on the person himself and the circumstances that he is placed under. When a player is pushed against the wall, it seems he has to fight back. But with limited resources how is he going to fight back and succeed? For many of MAS ex-BAM players who have gone independent, how many have succeeded?

For example, LCW is placed under the same BAM conditions, yet he thrived whilst his compatriots languished. When BAM tried to raised standards recently, there was hue and cry against the adminstration. QF targets were set, but many failed to achieve.

LD is supported by the national organization, not independent, yet he remains the best in the sport.

So ultimately it boils down to the individual, his willingness to work hard, his passion, his will to succeed against all odds.

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

these resignation cases from BAM players currently much happened just like what happened to the INA players nowadays that the INA club players (Djarum) is much better than PBSI players...

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It may seem to be the case now, but one must expect change to take place at PBSI as it will be at BAM when things got so low that the only way for them to go is UP, meaning change will take place at the leadership level to improve matters.

7. victory

victory Regular Member

Yes Fuzzy is the only MAS that have won super series and even win a point for MAS team during
    Thomas cup. They were world class before. So it is not a waste of money grooming them.

I think they were very well taken care of by BAM. We all can see that BAM keep giving opportunity to them especially Zakry. The strange thing is they still want to leave BAM. Why? BAM need to seriously think about why players keep leaving the body that groom them.

8. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

i think you need to restructure the sentence highlighted...or else people will come after you...

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I disagree that the money was well spent on them starting from mid-2010 when they stopped producing results. But this case isn't that bad compared to...

Mohd Hafiz Hashim

Daniel, what I actually meant was BAM shouldn't have wasted money on trying to get their ranking points up, since they have quit whatever tournaments they have been sent to together with OSH and HTH respectively is kinda wasted(OLYMPIC qualification)

They made the wise decision to quit BAM and it seems that they also realised that they are hampering other pairs such as GWS/LKW...

#29 undeadshot, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    basically they have a good 3 month honeymoon in mid 2008 through out their whole career(about 10 years at least)

11. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Oh, and a WC semi-final in 2009.

Still much better than Hafiz. 1-tournament wonder :eek:

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Hats off to them for the courage to venture on their own. Now I respect them more than before.

13. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Don't worry about Ahmad shabery's words, he never follow up. :p :eek:

It will be gone just like the wind, remember what he said after misbun rejected bam offer ?

#33 pBmMalaysia, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  14. damondemon

damondemon Regular Member

men of the world
    Out with the "dead woods" & give the younger pairs more opportunity? Anyway, why no "hoo haa" when Gan TC/ Tan BS left BAM? ALSO, those that left BAM most recently got any results?? Hafiz gave several reasons for leaving BAM, what was his results after leaving...a lot of hot air only.

15. damondemon

damondemon Regular Member

men of the world
    Was wondering, in this time & era, can any player succeed to the highest level without national training and assistance? Junior level probably can $ senior level? Get sponsors also difficult.

16. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    main point is..if they get enough point to qualify to OG....many still not happy and will complain that they will waste money also...
    so result still the same....stay, get points, qualify OG......complain...why these jokers get to go OG???
    leave BAM....wasted the points.....complain....why these jokers leave? should have stay behind and go OG.....wasted money send them
    to get points..... so I can only see dead end for them....lol....

but i think the elite will get chance to shine since Fuzzy left...let LKW/GWS and gang to show their colour now...

17. victory

victory Regular Member

YES thank you for reminding me. What I mean is except KKK/TBH, Fuzzy is the only pair that have won super series.

18. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    good lucky to both of them in future ... ~~ what next for them now ?? anyone know ?? China Masters ??

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    They are no more champion materials. No point talking about them. kekeke... ;)

20. Zabee

Zabee Regular Member

Music Related
    lol... exterme .........