** Stringway cross-stringer for badminton**

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by stringtechno, May 5, 2011.

1. stringtechno

stringtechno Regular Member

engineer
    Repairing the discussion

I actually decided to stay out of the discussion because it is useless to really try to have a dialogue with the market and you are accused of all kind of marketing and sales intentions. The question to those guys is: how do you want it, you can have influence on the design of a product now (which is rather rare in my opinion) and you blow the good intentions away.

But perhaps it is possible to do some repairing by exchanging some honest opinions:

* I do leave the UK guy out of my analysis, there is nothing constructive coming from him.

Silentheart is different:
    You certainly try to add things to the discussion.
    - But I am afraid that you write much better than read what is written.
    - You seem to doubt anything that I mention and explain me what our tool can and can not do. While we have a machine in the shop with a badminton racquet and the prototype in it.

And this is not our first cross stringer. We started the Stringway business in 1983 with our first cross stringing tool, so we know very well what a cross stringer can and can not do. There is no use at all that we say that it can do things which are not true, because lying to the market gets back at you like a boomerang.

In reply to your points:

What is wrong when I admit that what your are asking is not possible? My goal is to use it for as many crosses as possible from the first until 3 to 4 crosses before the last depending on the way you use it. This means that you use the tool for 18 to 19 crosses in a 22 pattern

I did not define a weave time. There was a good discussion with Kwun what to measure and how to compare. And that is exactly what I did. It was also said that it takes a good stringer 12-15 crosses to only weave a cross string. And of course there can be exceptional exceptions like Silentheart who does it much faster. (although 8 – 9 sec is unbelievable fast imo)

* May be it is not an advantage for you as a very fast weaver but the importance is not you but the average badminton stringer whose time will probably be closer to 20 seconds.
    * Besides, the speed is not the only advantage. I think that the biggest advantage is that your level of concentration can be much lower; as soon as the string goes into the channel nothing can go wrong anymore.

* I think that this answer from yan.v very true.

* Do you really think that we do need stringers far away from us to do the tests while we designed and tested cross stringers for so many years? And if we need testers there are a lot of Dutch badminton stringers “round the corner” who are eager to do tests. And is something only true when it is proven with video’s? This is not a court of justice! It is the intention of this discussion to get the best possible solution and not that we have to justify everything that we say.

As I mentioned in the beginning of the discussion, we are certainly willing to make a special offer (not 20 % discount but very special) to ALL members of this forum with positive attitude.

But we do not get back into the discussion when our words and intentions are questioned all the time.

In the meantime we will make the actual proto of the design that we have now and test it.

Enjoy your weekend
    Stringtechno

2. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Clearly you are unable to read either.

No, it was said that it takes a good stringer 12-15 seconds from grommet to grommet. You decided to measure only the time it took to put through the tool. Any good stringer can do it in 8-9 seconds not including the grommets.

Already been pointed out many, many times that it could be useful for novice stringers, just not for experienced stringers.

So don't say it. Simple as that. Unless you can back it up, your claims will be met with skepticism from those who know better. If you want to promote your product, you'd better be willing to back up your product and the claims you make. If you don't, then why make the thread in the first place? And why bother defending your products against people who refute your claims, when you don't even think you should have a need to justify your claims? The questions are rhetorical just in case you were thinking of answering them. Stop denying that the purpose of this thread was to promote your product.

So back them up with solid evidence, there is no other way to put it. If you can't, you aren't entitled to complain about it.

So far the opinions of most are for using your tool:
    Not faster than a good stringer, only useful for beginners and lazy people
    Only works for 76+ grommet patterns
    Can't do the top 4-5 strings stringing bottom to top
    Costs a lot

Or am I not being constructive enough?

3. stringtechno

engineer
  4. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Takes him 17-20 seconds from grommet to grommet, so I'd consider him an average stringer. Bad technique though, he shouldn't be pulling the string straight though like that, especially since he isn't weaving one ahead!

5. Ouchee

Ouchee Regular Member

I would say slower than average. Check this video out, I think he is one of the best so far from all the videos that I have seen. He did all crosses under 9 mins.

http://youtu.be/euSBZVcytbg

6. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

That looks slightly sped up. If not, 6 seconds doesn't sound believable looking at the way he does it. You have to do it like YULitle for it to be believable. Mute the sound, then it looks more obvious.

7. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

That guy's got a thumb nail for stabbing people!

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think she is a woman.

or is that what you are implying?...

9. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

No, that flew right over me. I have seen some guys with some very interesting nail cuts and I assumed it was a guy.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    off-topic but i know Alan Kakinami who is the official Yonex USA stringer leave some of his nails long on purpose. i started doing it and find that it is very useful to say move a string in order to thread the non-shared hole. one step up in the level of fanatism... ;)

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just searching some threads on Stringway and ended up here. I don't think it's sped up either although some sections do look like it but not the weaving part. A friend of mine does it as quick if not slightly quicker :cool: (and reading the posts below he also has or at least had the long finger nail thing going on :p). Maybe could have something to do with the conversion of the vid now that I'm halfway (from 30 to 25fps or the other way around, whichever leads to the slightly sped up result)

#71 demolidor, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  12. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

I'm sorry demolidor did I get you to read all Laserfibre/Stringway forums too? :)
    I think the cross-stringer (say it would work) would certainly be good for some stringers but not the most I guess. I think this is because there aren't many badminton stringers (not as many as tennis) and the badminton stringers mostly do it for helping others and fun. In tennis there are quite some people who do it just to make money, they don't really have the soul for stringing and don't enjoy it. This is why I think there are also (along with everything said before) less badminton stringers interested in this tool.

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D Actually I had been considering to get a dropweight as well so I don't have to wait till I am in the neighbourhood of the ES5Pro (and hand them off :D) and since you mentioned this one and looking for pros & cons had a little look around. Seems the mounting part was the main con for the StringWay. Noticed someone transplanted the tensioner onto a Challenger I :cool: ...
    Seem to be a few around that have or had the ML100 like PeteLSD and Distance3 ...

#73 demolidor, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

edit: the debate was more interesting than the gizmo, that's how I reached the end here ;). And that StringWay Fred is also a member here after reading some reviews on the tennis fora where he's also around ...

15. stringtechno

engineer
    For those who are interested:
    The prototype of the cross stringer for badminton has been tested thoroughly by a Dutch tournement stringer and seems to werk very well.

Hereby some pictures.
    We will start the production soon and there will be a temporary introduction offer.

[​IMG]

[URL="http://imageshack.us/a/img207/4350/img3963kl2.jpg%5b/IMG"]http://imageshack.us/a/img207/4350/img3963kl2.jpg[/IMG[/URL]]

[IMG][URL="http://imageshack.us/a/img41/3964/img3966kl2.jpg%5b/IMG"]http://imageshack.us/a/img41/3964/img3966kl2.jpg[/IMG[/URL]]

[IMG][URL="http://imageshack.us/a/img4/351/img3968kl2.jpg%5b/IMG"]http://imageshack.us/a/img4/351/img3968kl2.jpg[/IMG[/URL]]

[IMG][URL="http://imageshack.us/a/img17/3910/img3970kl2.jpg%5b/IMG"]http://imageshack.us/a/img17/3910/img3970kl2.jpg[/IMG[/URL]]

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am more interested in seeing a video.

now if someone would design a gizmo that would help threading shared holes. that seems to the the biggest slow down for me.

17. stringtechno

engineer
    Hereby the pictures I obviously did something wrong in the post above.

IMG_3962-kl2.JPG IMG_3963-kl2.JPG IMG_3966-kl2.JPG IMG_3968-kl2.JPG IMG_3970-kl2.JPG

#77 stringtechno, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  18. stringtechno

engineer
    Why don't you try this with a simple hook.

When you pull the string away when you pull the hole length through there is no friction either.

Hook for knot-2-kl.jpg

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you are preaching to the choir! (i made this video 2 yrs ago) ;)

[video=youtube;03dLgCu3M1Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03dLgCu3M1Q&list=UUp6em5uNJo9NVNxpMEn-gWQ&index=11&feature=plcp[/video]

20. stringtechno

engineer
    So, why ask for the gizmo then?