Why are the Women's doubles players not trying to win?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Dr.Dino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

If it was IOC that had to twist Dr Kang's arm then he needs to resign for sure. I am still surprised that he had not fully expected this to happen, It has been rife throughout the qualification period and before.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    After the whole drama, I do agree that the players (and coaches of course) certain contribute to the big mess.

However, I also believe that IOC (and BWF) made a huge mistake as well. Sure, we all can say, based on common sense, the players did throw match away. However, where is the SOLID proof??? You can not issue a real penalty, unless there's obivous proof. Just because you or me, or both of us "feel this way".

If so, then why not they ban Jodyn Wieber? She "suppose" to be the champion, but did not even make the cut. Should I say, hey, maybe she tried to help her teammates? Maybe she knows she has an injury, or, not at peak at the moment, so, her teammates may have a better shot? Of course, you can call it ridiculous, but hey, that can be someone also "feels this or that".

Or, maybe we should ban US Men's basketball. Why? Same reason as the badminton players. In the game against Tunisia, they actually was down after almost 10 min. So, did they play hard enough? Did they make a lot of more error than they suppose to be? Even after the match, Tunisia coach says thanks to US, as US did not run up the score. Bingo, evidence here, they did not compete as hard as they did. So, if you ban all the badminton players for such reason (did not try hard, etc), then US men's basketball should be out as well. :rolleyes:

Of course, we all know what really happened, and I am not here to defend any 1 of the 8 players or coaches. My point is IOC screwed up big time, to give the "death penalty", based on "no hard evidence". If top rank players suppose to play better everyday, and make no error in any match, why even both to hold Olympic games? Just give the gold to current rank #1 players, and call it a day then.

4. flite

flite Regular Member

I cant help but laugh it out loud looking at all your comments esp. on the Gang of 5!:D:D You were really enjoying this moment as it took soooo long (years of dramas) for BWF to take stern action, at long last. As far as match rigging is concerned it came to a full circle today. From now on, your good old friend LYB wouldn't be able to manipulate matches as he wish since he is facing plenty of pressure from CBA and within.

Badminton has hope.

5. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

what a decision. hope all the team/nation/players can take this penalty as a valuable lesson in the future.

and congratz to the 4 'promoted' pairs. you guys deserved it for your fights.

#245 bad's fan, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  6. flite

flite Regular Member

Don't worry. As long as that one team kept their orders in check badminton is fine.

Peace.;)

7. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    LOL
    today will decide which pairs make it to Final of the WD competition...

OFC YZ/QT and I hope the DAnes will beat JPN!! The semifinals should be easy affairs for the winners of the two real QFs today...

God, this looks so ridiculous ://

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

And now another breaking LATEST news...

Yu Yang: This will be my LAST badminton competition, goodbye my beloved chinese national team... wow, if that is true, then her last match is really a shame!

于洋:这也是我最后一次比赛了。再见国际羽联,再见我挚爱的羽毛球。

转自微博

10. flite

flite Regular Member

Do you even know what you are talking about? Did you watch both matches in the first place. What else of evidence and hard proof that you still required?

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    just like how zidane left football field

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    HE finally can't stand what CHN has been doing thus far.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Some people just can't accept reality.

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Hurray !!!! Take LYB along

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    my translation is this:

"Yu Yang: This is my last badminton competition. Goodbye BWF. Goodbye my beloved badminton."

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Ok, sorry for my poor chinese:D.. Looks like the next candidate to follow her footstep is likely to be li yong bo.

17. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

good bye Yu Yang.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

All the players were really between a rock and a hard place. They were just the foot soldiers. They couldn't disobey the general telling them what to do. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. And the CBA and Chinese media and public will surely be in heated discussion over this affair, some supporting them and some lambasting them.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I believe LYB should be removed immediately without any delay.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes, I did watch the game between Yu/Wang and KOR pair for a few minutes. Yes, I believe they did not try to win. All 4 of them. Yes, I was shaking my head, when I hear the boos.

However, if you give ppl death penalty, you better give real evidence. What's the evidence now? They performed below the par? They have more serve errors, and more out?

Well, answer me this. In WC 2003, on her way to champion, ZN give both Mia and CM a 11-0. Please do not tell me Mia and CM are that bad at the moment. So, why there's no penalty for Mia or CM, for "not trying their absolute best"? They probably already mentally and/or physcially gave up...

From stats, you can surely say they should be much much better. However, in theory, everyone can have a bad day. You can not give a person a death penalty, simply because, "oh, we all get upset, you, me, him, her all believe that's not normal"....

Btw, good hard evidence is drug test result, instruction in writing, instruction in tape recording, etc.

Btw, please do not just ignore my other examples of Jordyn Wieber (US gymnastics) and US basketball team. In theory, they all performed way below their own standard, so should they get banned as well? Hey, for US basketball, even the opponent coach "thanked" them in public for "not running up the score". Man, that's hard evidence.... :rolleyes: