AAARRGGHHH - broke my "old" Carbonex 20 !!!!

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by maxout, Sep 26, 2012.

1. raistian

raistian Regular Member

Congrats! It's a good feeling isn't it? Now I have to smell my racquets when I get home - never thought that a racquet could have a smell before reading your post (not talking about the grip here - we know that icky grip's smell could fell an elephant).

2. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Thanks :) The shop got 2 left .... and the salesguy (my friend) told me they are not re-ordering anymore Carbonex after this last batch ... :(

The funny thing is I tested and tried nearly 20 odd "modern" Yonex, Li-Nings, Victor racquets (as in isometric head design with all the fullerene, nanopreme, titanium whatver ... ), over the last one week period, you name it and I probably have swung it. The shop also strings a variety of racquets for customers, so I get a chance to try a bit and hit a few shuttles as well ... ;)

I get all sorts of "feedbacks" ranging from head light, head-heavy, too stiff, etc etc ... they just did not click with me despite my sincerest attempts to try and use a "NEW" racquet ...

Finally, I decided to try the Cab20 again ... and after a few swings, I "felt" like "I AM HOME" and "I AM WEARING MY OLD SHOES" kind of feeling :D ...

My friend (the salesguy) look at me and said, "You got that "stupid" contented look on your face .... and you are going to buy another "28-years old" racquet against my better advice on new techology and racquet design, aren't you ? "

I just smiled and pass him the credit card .... ;)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Can we have a picture?

4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

... Of the credit card? ;-)

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Front AND back :D

Forgot to ask what the cone code was on the Cab20 without SP? AS?

#25 demolidor, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

More than happy to ... :D

Let me figure out how to do it.

Hahahhaa ... my "FINANCE MINISTER" (aka the wife) will kill me .... :eek: :D

7. raistian

raistian Regular Member

Yup!

P1000518.jpg

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Here are the pixs of my new Cab20sp ... GREAT RACQUET :D , LOUSY HP camera, sorry for poor quality :eek:....

20121013_071306.jpg 20121013_071149.jpg

9. raistian

raistian Regular Member

LOL @ focussing on the cover - you don't play with the cover you know :D. If I recall correctly, the old cover's form-fitting & there's more silver than black. Been so long ago I don't really remember.

In any case, may the legend lives on (Yonex if you're reading this, please keep making Cab20 without changing any spec - colour's fine)!

10. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Hahaha ... I did not notice that ... was too preoccupied trying to get everything into ONE PIX SHOT !! :eek: :D

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are you sure it plays like the original? I think the shaft is very slightly thinner. I swung one around (not hit shuttle). The feel is slightly different.

12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I have only used the CAB20 (without SP) once about 20 odd years ago, when it first came out .. after the introduction of CAB20SP, it has always been the CAB20SP ... and yes, it does feel like the "old" CAB20SP ... but CAB20 ... too long already, cannot remember !! Getting old ... :(

But, what I do know, is that it feels GREAT !! :D

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Cheung,

I guess you are the only person who can make a CURRENT DIRECT COMPARISON as you have access to both the ORIGINAL Cab20 and can easily buy a Cab20SP (neon orange) (excuse provided for another racquet :D ) in HK ...

Having said that, in all honesty, I do expect some "difference" due to improvements in manufacturing processes and even the quality of graphite used (even if you used the same type of graphite grade) over the last 28 years !!

I will be surprised and shocked IF they are "IDENTICALLY" the same !! :eek: BUT will be VERY HAPPY !! :D :D

#33 maxout, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My comparison was with somebody else's racquet last week. I have to do another comparison :)

Blue marking Carbonex 20 SP is actually different. The early generation feels more solid. The ones available around year 2000 have a slightly different paint coating (visible under a good light) and feel a bit 'lighter'.

I need to get the current version for a better assessment.

15. raistian

raistian Regular Member

Please do and let us know :D

When I got my orange Cab20 (post #27) it felt "right" straight away. I have read about the neon orange version in this forum but never expected to find one in Melbourne.

It was gathering dust in the shop & I didn't see the model number (I have developed a habit of blind testing racquets). Felt like the one, went to the counter to choose a string (BG66 of course) then saw that it's a Cab20. Of course I asked if they have more (was going to buy the rest of the stock :eek:) but they didn't & my wallet thanked me :p - the lady was a bit upset that I didn't go with her recommended racquet - a z-slash.

16. maxout

maxout Regular Member

If possible, make sure you use the same type of string and tension, to eliminate "external" variables in your comparison :D

17. maxout

maxout Regular Member

The current version of Cab20sp available here is the neon-orange as well. I called Sunrise Malaysia (Official Yonex distributor) and they said it is the same as Cab20 (neon orange) in the catalogue and found elsewhere but for this region , only Cab20sp are "officially" distributed ...

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are you sure the orange one can take Nanogy98 at 28lbs?

19. maxout

maxout Regular Member

NO IDEA !! :confused:

Well, my stringer dare not go beyond 24lbs MAX for Cab20sp ... which is 10% more that recommended tension by Yonex, he is not familiar with the Cab20sp ... mine is the FIRST ONE he has ever string in his career .... young chap !! ;) :p

20. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I see...plan to change stringer ?