AAARRGGHHH - broke my "old" Carbonex 20 !!!!

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by maxout, Sep 26, 2012.

1. maxout

maxout Regular Member

No, he is quite good and honest with me, difficult to find someone who takes pride in his work. He was the one who let me try out all the isometrics.

Furthermore, my usual tension is 21x22lbs, so no problem there. With an oval head like cab20, you do not need high tension to get similar impact and solid feel

2. raistian

raistian Regular Member

All my cabs survived BG66 @26x27lbs. I'm one of those that plays with high tension & have a stringer friend. Now that I have my own machine (the friend sort of semi retired), I've done 30x32 on my AT limited edition (twice), PPro & Cab21SP. The first Cab20 that breaks a string will be restrung at 30x32.

Please, please don't do this if you cannot lose the racquet. Mine are all out of warranty and I fully accept if the racquet breaks (will be my own fault).

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Oh, good. You will be one of the first to report above the recommended tension with the current carbonex 20. 30x32lbs is very high for BG66. If I could play more, and had the stringer living next to me, I would do this :p

For my racquets, stringers were quite reluctant to go to 28lbs. I took it to the specific expert stringing shops. I had to assure them they would bear no responsibility. I think they hadn't seen the really old cab20's for a number of years (I semi-retired for a few years because of injury). They reported the racquet frames bore the tension surprisingly well. Of course, I knew my racquets could do so:)

4. raistian

raistian Regular Member

I'm surprised to be the first at anything in BC :eek: All Cabs except the neon orange are 10+ years old & have been strung at at least 26x27 (so they've survived multiple stringing at high tension).

You're not alone, most stringers here in Melbourne are reluctant to go beyond 24lbs. I don't blame them as they're just being responsible. Mine's a friend & AFAIK he only goes over 26lbs for me - it's not something he normally does.

As for the high tension, I'm an ex club player, one of thousands that `didn't make it big`. We used sponsored equipments - BG66 & high tension was the standard - I think some sort of Cab @34lbs was the highest I had. I remember liking it but broke a string (& losing points) too often so coach dropped it to 32 & told the stringer that's the setup for me. This was way back in Jakarta, Indonesia (I've moved to Australia where badminton is a 2nd class sport & expensive :crying:).

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Something that came into my possession today.

6Q2A9739.jpg

OK more accurately, three of them...:D

6. maxout

maxout Regular Member

You are SO LUCKY !!!!!!!!!

7. raistian

raistian Regular Member

:eek::eek::eek:

I'll grab all 3 please :D

8. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    how do u manage to, actually?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

First I found them, then I begged for them and in the end, had to pay for them!

It brings my cab20 collection to 11. The purple one and SP version has gone to my daughter's bag so she can experience the classics whilst learning badminton. My children will probably be the last persons on earth to learn with these classics. :)

#49 Cheung, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  10. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Well, mine may not be using the "classics" (unless I can get my "grubby" hands on some !!) but definitely Cab20sp ... yesterday, my son used mine and he said he liked it better than his Nanospeed ... but he wanted a Cab21sp instead ... one figure better (21 instead of 20) than daddy :rolleyes: :p (only if he does well in school and during his next birthday, I said ... )

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

New versions of cab20 and 21 and still cheaper than top nano speed right? Hey, what about a racquet as a Christmas present?

12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Definitely, Cab20sp and Cab21sp can be bought for around RM270 while lowest end Nanospeed 100 is around RM135 while top of the range 9900 is RM800. The other Nanospeeds are around RM400-500.

Since my children are still at the learning stage, it is more important for them to get the RIGHT STROKES and TECHNIQUES, so I am starting them off on the lightest NS100 first, easier for them to play correctly with ... and cheapest since they still scrape the floor every now and then ....

For POWER, I just lower their string tension to 17x19, so more "trampoline" effect and they can reach the baseline from half-court ... slowly working towards baseline to baseline ....

13. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

cheung, can i ask if the middle one, the purple one, is it the original cab 20? i.e. the first one ever released?

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Red ("purple) & blue were released together iirc as originals ...

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

To be more precise, it is burgundy red [​IMG] ...

16. vajrasattva

came into my possession today, and have given it to my dad (in his sixties), whom prefers the old school racquets.. none of the modern racquets that i had was "acceptable" by his preferences, except for the recent i-slash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

original leather grip was still on, but destroyed by an old towel grip's doublesided tape that went over it.. removed the grip and soaked it in light soapy water.. hopefully the doubleside tape residue falls off and it can be salvaged..

anyone knows what was the multicolored string?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Looks in very good condition.

Haven't seen that string since the 80's. Never knew the name of it though.

18. vajrasattva

yup.. lest some paint chips on the frame that i didnt take pictures of.. but seems quite decent in condition.. may play a game with my dad tomorrow to see how it feels :p

19. vajrasattva

arghh.. double post!..

but anyway.. i procured it for an equivalent of usd $75 or so.. hope it wasnt unreasonable a price.. there was no comparison for me to decide how much to offer for it so we decided for a figure around that...

20. vajrasattva

bro, any suggestion for string for cab 20 for the "old school" feel??