Wong Tat Meng: Professional Badminton Coach

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Feb 17, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I see your viewpoint

Glad that you agree. :):):)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    IMO, all three should be just as important and perhaps the emphasis on one over the other in any point of time really depends on circumstances.

BWF cannot just try to develop world badminton in vacuum. BWF needs the NSAs to assist in spreading the sport worldwide. It cannot by itself go to every country to sell the idea of badminton as a good form of recreation, de-stressing, good exercise for the mind and body and fantastic entertainment when world-class players compete in the international arena.

NSAs know the importance of having a good infrastructure and administration to ensure a smooth running of their programmes, be it for coaching at various levels or upgrading their officials' competence in umpiring, as service or line judges and the training of interested people in the smooth delivery or desemination of information or results. They rely on well meaning sponsors to enable them to run useful training programmes and these in turn need the support of coaches, sports scientists, administrators, players and parents, etc.

Governments around the world now accept that sports play an integral part of a successful nation and athletes who can put their nation in the world spotlight as in international games, especially the Olympics will be highly treasured. So Malaysia's LCW is now showered with all the attention to help him deliver the country's first Olympic gold.

Without good players who can compete at the world stage, it becomes meaningless to channel so much resources to train them. Therefore players are dependent on the NSAs and sponsors to bring them up on par with other world elite athletes. And the BWF needs a growing interest and active participation in the sport to ensure they remain as a competitive event in the Olympic Games f-o-r-e-v-e-r. :D:D:D

When one tries to divorce the three essential parties, then the result will be an unhappy ending! :rolleyes:

#22 Loh, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

BAM always losing good coaches..........LM, WTM, MS, CSK,.........sad to see this keep happening !

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Dont say that..we are losing INA coaches to MAS, Taipeh, and other countries also...:D

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You all got Foreign Talents to export. It should be a happy situation to enjoy "invisible exports" to help increase your country's wealth.

The world is now a global village like someday you "balik kampung". And in most parts of the world, you can return home within 24 hours.

That's why Rudy is BC's unofficial roving ambassador, followed closely by BC Philippines fastdrop. And incidentally great changes are happening in Philippines Badminton.

#25 Loh, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I dont think it is a question of "losing coaches",if they are good there is nothing to keep them from upgrading themselves like football managers,in fact they should be encouraged to do so. I think the NSC thinks the same way.

Frost,Park, Indra and Li Mao may have done a lot for Msia badminton but they are "mercenaries". Even I think Li Mao & WTM will last at most 3 years in Ina. The idea is local coaches and players should work with them and tap their brains and achieve some kind of "technology transfer" before they are eventually dumped when locals can do the same job cheaper.

Countries like Msia,Europeans like Denmark or even China tend to be inward looking and distrustful of foreigners.

In fact most of the public blamed Frost,Indra,Park or even Li Mao for not winning more honours reason being they are not locals and their loyalty is questionable.

It is good thing this technology transfer as they create jobs, and people like Tan Kim Her and WTM will surely benefit from it and at the same time earn "expatriate " pay.Of course it would be even be better if local coaches can earn lifetime expat pay, provided of course they have the blessings of the financiers, but then certain goals are compromised.

There is a saying "a good horse will not eat old grass from old pastures".

I think this applies to all industries too and applies to many other progressive countries too.

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Media clampdown perhaps? Or BAM still trying to persuade WTM to stay...;);)

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    That's why it's a joke that BAM doesn't announce this. Jokers. ;)

9. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Perhaps it is :D

I will contact one of my friend in the Malaysian press tomorrow to find out ;)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Media clampdown perhaps?

This is bad; if it was because of a media clampdown. :(:(:(

11. eaglehelang

Finally, it's official. WTM will be around until mid/end of March, then off to join Li Mao in PBSI. Hmmmm, could it be LM asked his ex-assistant to go help him out? WTM can speak malay, can help with some of the translations.

[​IMG]
    Wong Tat Meng will be the first Malaysian to join the Indonesia BA (PBSI) as a singles coach.

WONG Tat Meng has resigned as women's singles coach and will soon become the first Malaysian to join the Indonesia BA (PBSI) as a singles coach next month. Tat Meng, who tendered his resignation on Feb 11, will guide the national players until March 11, after which the Malaysian will team up with former national coach Li Mao, who is the singles head coach of Indonesia.

Tat Meng said he accepted PBSI's offer as it gives him the chance to gain experience outside Malaysia and also boost his coaching credentials with a leading badminton nation.

"I have been with the BA of Malaysia (BAM) for almost eight years and I decided to gain new experience in Indonesia. I will be reporting to Li Mao and will start work in another four weeks," said Tat Meng.

"It is also a good chance for me to widen my coaching knowledge and also meet new challenges in a new environment. Indonesia is one of the leading badminton nations and I have plenty to learn there.

"Having worked with Li Mao before, it will help me settle into my role fast."

Tat Meng joined BAM as a junior coach in 2003 and was made Li Mao's assistant in 2005 while also guiding Wong Mew Choo until 2008.

He joined the junior squad again in 2008 for three years and was made the national women's singles coach last September.

12. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Thursday February 24, 2011
    Coach Tat Meng leaves BAM to join Indonesian team
    By LIM TEIK HUAT
    KUALA LUMPUR: National singles coach Misbun Sidek quit the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) recently. His controversial resignation has yet to be resolved.
    Now another singles coach – Wong Tat Meng – is set to leave.
    Tat Meng, who is currently coaching the women’s singles squad, is leaving BAM by the end of next month to take up a coaching offer with the Indonesian national team.
    The 44-year-old coach, who was best known for guiding Wong Mew Choo to a sensational victory in the 2007 China Open, will join former national singles coach Li Mao of China at the national training centre in Cipayung there.
    [​IMG] Goodbye: Wong Tat Meng has handed in his resignation to BAM.
    Tat Meng, who has served as the national team coach since 2006, is now set to become the first Malaysian to coach in Indonesia at the national level and BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai said his resignation should be viewed positively.
    “Tat Meng wanted to move to greener pastures and he has submitted his resignation letter.
    “Tat Meng will be around until end of March and will prepare Mew Choo for the All-England next month.
    “It should be looked at positively as he can come back one day and become a better coach as what Tan Kim Her did,” said Chin Chai, referring to Kim Her, who was the first coach to venture outside the country to take up stints in South Korea and England before returning to the BAM fold.
    Tat Meng, who quit as a player after failing to make the successful 1992 Thomas Cup squad, got his biggest break as a coach when he was named as the replacement for Li Mao ahead of the more famous Sidek brothers – Misbun and Rashid after the Chinese quit in early 2007.
    It has not been decided yet as to who will replace Tat Meng as Chin Chai said they will keep their options open.
    “We may have a reshuffle or we may look for a new coach outside,” said Chin Chai, who is also the coaching and training committee chairman.

The coaching and training committee meeting yesterday also decided that Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong will be exempted from the Indonesia SEA Games campaign at the end of this year.
    “The Road to London Olympics campaign should be their main priority as Chong Wei and Kien Keat-Boon Heong should have no problems qualifying.
    “We will also decide later whether the women’s doubles pair Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty will be exempted as well as much will depend on whether they have enough points to qualify for the London Olympics. It is easier for the singles players to qualify as it is a field of 32 compared to the doubles, which has only for 16 pairs,” he said.
    Meanwhile, former national doubles pair Gan Teik Chai-Tan Bin Shen will be allowed to train with the national doubles squad in BAM twice a week.
    Chin Chai said they have also agreed to take in part-time paid sparring partners.
    “The women’s squad complained of lack of competitive sparring partners.
    “The mix doubles department have also requested for Razif Latif-Chow Pak Chuu to come in as sparring partners.”

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/2/24/sports/8127053.asp&sec=sports

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Could it be Li Mao asked his ex-assistant to go help him out (to translate)?

I don't think that it is because Li Mao needed WTM for translating. There are many Indonesians who can translate Indonesian to Mandarin for him.

I think it's because they (Li Mao and WTM) have a good understanding/relationship, as it was shown over the time when Li Mao was coaching in Malaysia.

I was lucky to have met both of them when they came to Melbourne for the 2006 Commonwealth Games. To me, Li Mao is a quiet man. Probably, he is always thinking as he is observing things. He was only seen talking to Lee Chong Wei and other Mandarin speaking players and Wong Tat Meng.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Wong Tat Meng moving to Indonesia

This 2nd article says;
    While in the 1st article says;

#34 chris-ccc, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  15. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    glad to hear that our coaches are in demand
    even INA as well.....WTM made a correct move...
    to gain more from oversea and boost his name as well...
    wonder who will replace him

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Cheah Soon Kit maybe?

I hope that Cheah Soon Kit would be called back by BAM.

17. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

but not coaching MS right?
    either MD or WD...but Rexy and TKH are there

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

There's a female coach waiting in the line. She was there during Mas Open.

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

this is it. Took this during Mas Open;)

[​IMG]

20. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    This is real story:

Li Mao felt that he could not work well with Liang Chiu Shia and Sarwendah and asked to get his own assistant and PBSI did not pay for it...Basically 3rd party will pay for WTM's salary and PBSI official did not know if Li Mao had chosen WTM