Power pattern and Control pattern, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kakinami, Dec 28, 2011.

1. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

After going to different tournaments, I have gotten feedback from some players in the States. From players who also string as well as play, I have been told starting crosses at 9 gives a more power feeling, where as starting crosses at 8 gives a slightly stiffer plane equaling more control. I have been testing this on some players and am waiting feedback from players. Anybody else try this? I would like feedback!!
    Thanks!!
    AK47

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Interesting - will some extra stiffness so low on the bed cause any measurable effect? We need a force/deflection test to cut out the middleman - I wonder if a badminton stringbed would survive a squashing from a Babolat RDC...

Missing X8 would mean the racket's also faster through the air, but will anybody notice that either? That was the rationale behind the old MAS "miss X10" pattern, but I never bought it.

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I have been stringing quite a number of racquets lately, and I realised a more logical reason for the missing X8 pattern.

With the Yonex pattern, the last mains will come out of bottom 9 and then be tied off at bottom 10, which has a two grommet gap. But if you miss out X8, you can tie off the mains at bottom 8, which gives you less extra string on the edges of the frame and thus slightly less tension loss, provided that you don't like adding extra tension to your last string before tie-off. Also, probably because the stringers who did this also wanted to keep the original intended number of cross strings (for example the number for the old Yonex pattern is 22 cross strings), they would just start at X10, skip the cross 8 where they tie-off the mains if they don't feel like pre-weaving the racquet or the cross strings before tie-off. Some would just skip X10 all together just start at X9.

With Alan's method however, as I don't think it is possible to start the cross string on the grommets where you tie off the mains (please correct me if you have a way to do this), you end up having to add a cross string on grommets below the tie-off grommets which to some people's dislike, think that the additional cross looks crowded on the string bed thus the missing of one cross string.

4. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I would go from my 9th main to 11th main then stop. Preweave 3 crosses at bottom (8,9,and 10 crosses) then finish off main #10. Tie on 9 because it is an easy shared hole, cross already installed so dont have to worry about getting it through being blocked by knot. Thats how I do it. Just wondering is Yonex regular pattern gives more power than my altered Cross start on 8 pattern. =)

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The 9->6 loop when tying the bottom cross is pretty long, it has to be said. I compensate by adding a couple of pounds to the pull and making sure I get the knot done quickly. I don't like having two knots next to each other, and my top cross knot has to have at least one empty hole between it and the top cross hole - I have to grin and bear it when stringing Pandas!

I do stop short of turning the light on and off an even number of times before entering the room, though...

6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Out of curiosity why dont you like to have knots next to each other?
    I go odd on the lights, probably because I stroke left handed. The birdie of course.

7. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I have always liked to start my crosses 1 lower than yonex says, but I now use head racquets that have the first cross on 8 and have the tie off at 9. I think it helps create the feel of a stiffer string bed for longer than the same tension without the extra cross.
    When stringing the crosses, I always start on the first cross above where the last mains are and work my way back. Find it easier and then there's less of the cross string to pull through the shared grommets.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It may be because I'm so used to seeing that unmolested #7 main on the bottom of the Yonex pattern. Ridiculous, but then most OCD is. Same at the top - I try to leave an empty main when tying on.

I'm a righty when it comes to stroking. Unlike Alan, I'll leave the door open:).

9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Thanks Man!!! I think OCD makes good stringers!! Doing everything the same is good, we try to do that.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You don't know the half of it...

The butt cap logo has to be UP (unless I can't be bothered to replace T6 and H5 grommets:D), I start my top cross from the RIGHT of the frame, and go OVER on the first weave. Always.

I think if you handed me three rackets of the same pattern, they'd all come back INDETICAL - even the crossovers.

11. Blitzzards

Regarding what I was saying about the placement of the main tie-off knots where the cross string is skipped:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

Has anyone used this pattern find any notable difference in gameplay?

From my own experience, having the starting and ending knots one after the other increases the risk of breakage and especially at high tensions where the area is under stress due to tie offs, a string breakage may have a higher chance of racket breakage.

13. Blitzzards

The Panda Power racquets designed by DinkAlot all have the main tie-off knot on the very next hole to the cross starting knot hole. And they are designed that way while also having some of the toughest racquet frames in the market, for example the PP Ultra series having a maximum warranted tension of up to 35lbs ECP.

I personally do not think that having such next to each other spacing of the main tie-off and cross starting knots especially near the racquet throat will put any more stress compared to having a one grommet gap in between.

As for your question on if anyone liked the pattern I was talking about, pretty much the whole of the Danish national team were using such a pattern back in 2003 to 2006, with the likes of Peter Gade, Jonas Rasmussen and so on to name a few.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Noticed watching the AE that a lot of the Chinese players have an extra cross at the top of the racket. I thought it was just Tao JM at first, but then I saw it on pretty much ever CHN doubles player's frame once I knew what I was looking at.

Alan may be able to tell us why (unless the CHN team brings their own stringer), but it's probably a great way to guard against topside mis-hits. LYD went through rackets like toilet paper in his match on Thursday...