Will Lee Chong Wei win the 2013 World Championship?

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by kwun, Mar 29, 2013.

?

Will Lee Chong Wei win the 2013 World Championship?

1. Yes, Lee Chong Wei will win!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, he will lose.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. morningfly

morningfly Regular Member

For LD, ranking doesn't mean anything. We all know why the ranking is so low. LD never stopped exercise on his 6 months long vacation, not even on his wedding day. LD will be ready soon.

If you want to win the title, you have to beat anyone you play with. Don't think anyone wants to play LD on the first round. that might be the good thing for LD;)

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Now I think LCW could win, motivated by his anger over LD's wild card, though I am disappointed by his such anger... :D

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I hold back until now to vote as I want to see how confirmation of Lin Dan's participation or not would affect Lee CW's morale. Guess I know the answer now. To be honest, all the while I'm fairly confident Lee CW has about 50-55% chance of winning this world title irrespective of Lin Dan's participation. But after hearing of Lee CW's negative comments and self-deprecating reactions, my confidence in him drops. I'm having a change of mind and thinks he won't win it. To be honest, Lee CW's patchy form since the SSF last Dec'12 where he lost to DuPY and then his shock defeat at Tian Houwei's hand in the recent AUS Open'13 didn't sway me as much as his unflattering outburst at Lin Dan's wild card entry.

However, after reading Jonc108's contrarian view above, I realize Lin Dan's wild card entry is a double-edged sword. It might just be the catalyst that enables Lee CW to let go and throw caution to the wind and possibly do a Tine Baun as in her finale AE'13.

Actually, it also matters whether Lin Dan is in his half of the draw or not. With LD in the opposite half, Lee CW just have to worry about meeting either LD or CL in the final and not both of them enroute to the final. But then if he beats LD before playing CL in the final, his confidence will get a big boost to overcome CL for the title.

So...hmm...after some deliberation, my final vote is 'No' because I doubt him and think his weakness in lack of sufficient mental strength is cause for concern and that's not something that can change in a couple of months.

Anyway, ultimately, Lee CW's fate is in his own hands. Who knows, he might just surprise us.

#43 Justin L, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  4. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Nicely said!

An interesting WC tourney is waiting ahead of us with all the 'drama' already emerge till now. And in the end of the day, let the best player, whoever he is, crowned as the World Champion. :)

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks, that's also why I feel we've to thank BWF profusely for Lin Dan's inclusion in this WC which makes it not only important but highly exciting, greatly interesting and decidedly dramatic for the players and spectators alike.

6. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Hope CL can beat LCW and LD.

7. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Regular Member

I think he will win. Lin Dan is not up to full fitness yet; so I can't see him winning. So his main rival will be Chen Long. He can beat him, but whether he will is another thing. But I think he will.

8. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    It is still 3 months to go. It won't take long for Lin Dan to recover. He is such an experience player.I will follow the general rule If lin Dan wants it, lcw might not get it.

9. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Agree ! People are still clinging on to this small hope (especially bolehans) that one day LCW will actually beat LD in a final of a major(WC,OG or AG). But no one realizes LCW has already performed to his full potential and it is just not enough... even worse, now his motivation to win has diminished due to financial security on his part and being spoiled by the gov, coaches, family and fans...

The real question now should be if CL can actually step up his game to beat LD in the final of a major... now someone should create a thread or topic for this question... that's more worth posting

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Sadly, I do not see him winning if Lin Dan and Chen Long is in it. Even if Lin Dan is in Chen Long's half and Chen Long is the one who faces Lee Chong Wei in the final, I think Chen Long has improved to the point where Lee Chong Wei can no longer beat him in his serious mode like we seen in the Olympics. After all, Lee Chong Wei tried so hard to beat Chen Long in the All-England final this year but failed.

11. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Umm, how people said it? Is it: "it's not end till it's end"?

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I voted "no" after reading about BWF's decision on wild card.

I wanted LCW to win a major tournament (ie, OG, WC, AG, TC, SC) very much, but after OG2012, I had given up hope on him. Even tough I don't like LD much, but I have to admit LD is better than LCW.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I guess you meant to say 'It ain't over till it's over' - alternatively 'It ain't over till the fat lady sings' or other similar phrases like 'Don't count your chickens before they hatched' or 'Nothing is set in stone'.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm surprised that so far out of the 79 already voted, 34 said 'Yes' and 45 said 'No'. I was thinking it'd be more even.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    If LCW can win his title at the 2013 World Championships......

One thing for sure : If LCW can win his title at the 2013 WC, we could get the BIGGEST badminton celebration in Malaysia . :):):)

Only LCW can make it happen; BAM, coaches, support staff, fans, etc, etc, ...... are all hoping that he can do it.

I hope that LCW can do it too; Therefore, I am voting for him.

17. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    I vote yes

18. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Unlikely in China where nightmares still haunt :eek:

19. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    I voted 'No'. :(

Win or lose, or just for the sake of appearing for the fans, LD has reliable teammates to win. LCW has none but himself.

Hoping LCW to prove my vote wrong is too far-fetched...

#59 Aikachan, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
  20. maswin

maswin Regular Member

Definately a "NO" . It's an open fact that Chong Wei's performance has been gradually dipping since last year for known reasons. The winner will ultimately be from one of the four contenders from China....no excitement or drama here as most are expecting:)