Tennis shoes for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by kevyan, Aug 14, 2006.

1. sg2303

sg2303 Regular Member

shuttlecock picker
    i just bought the same model for SGD$40 only...:)
    i thought the name was quite funny too and i couldnt find the model on any website.... i even thought it might be a fake...:p

2. kevyan

kevyan Regular Member

$40?! :eek: From where? Wah... I paid another $20 for nothing man....

3. sg2303

sg2303 Regular Member

shuttlecock picker
    i bought mine on sunday at queensway newlink (2nd level)

i saw the same pair priced at 59.90 at chau beng and some other store but i know newlink will definitely be cheaper, so i went to try. they didnt put any price tag on the shoes but the indian guy quoted me $46 and i bargained till $40.. hehe :D

i also got the lime green one..:p

#23 sg2303, Aug 22, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  4. oasis1

oasis1 Regular Member

aside from the weight issue, is there a difference between tennis shoes and badminton shoes with regards to how it should function relating to the sport of badminton? i mean, obviously basketball shoes were not meant to be used for badminton...how about tennis shoes? can it pass for badminton?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Obviously, you can still wear tennis shoes on a badminton court. Wether they function the same way is a different question.

If you see a person wear tennis shoes playing badminton, most likely they don't play at a high level. It's the first thing I look at when trying to judge another person's standard of play. If they wear tennis shoes, then I :)

6. modious

modious Regular Member

I think you meant any other shoes. Eg track shoes. :p

7. roller

roller Regular Member

my bruised toenail on my right foot eventually came off and the doctor had to apply antiseptic cream and bandage my toe. The new toenail came out in a few weeks time.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hehe, i think..looks can be deceiving sometimes..

..IMO, it's true that *in general* and *most of the time*, people who play baddie tends to wear baddie shoes.
    However, we can't really say or judge those people, who wears tennis/track/non-badminton shoes, as having a "lower" level of play or vice versa, all the time. Certainly not on what they are wearing. However, those cases are more common in a recreational or casual or "non-serious" situations. Unless, of course they are playing competitively/professionally(which i think is what Cheung probably meant).;)
    As an example, I'm sure we (at least myself) have seen, one time or another, people wearing baddie shoes playing against other people who wears tennis/track/non-baddie shoes and their levels are not the same as those who wear non-baddie shoes. (Ex. I can be wearing the newest, most up-to-date Yonex shoes and be playing against Tony Gunawan who'll wear a reg. non-baddie/tennis shoes, and i'm sure he'll put me to shame in no time):p:D ;)

#28 ctjcad, Dec 25, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    I agree with ctjcad on that one, I know some really top players here who sometimes when we go play they didnt bring their shoes or were working out and didnt think they were gonna play badminton. So they might play wth some other shoes on BUT because they have the footowrk already there is less likleyhood for them to injure themself that if it was somebody who didnt have that footwork but the risk is still there that they could hurt themself. I remember my coach, Greg Bury would sometimes just coach in regular running shoes if he was to lazy to put on his court shoes and he would do all the demos and all that in them too, play a few games even but that was in the past now he puts on badminton court shoes 99% of the time.

10. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

yup, newlink has good prices for Yonex shoes and bags. SHB90M for $90, no need to bargain, good stock of various sizes.

11. geekbits

geekbits Regular Member

Hi !

I am using Badminton shoes for indoor badminton courts and I am also playing @ outdoor(concrete court). I am not using my indoor court shoes in outdoor courts.

So, I am using my running shoes for playing in outdoor(concrete) courts. Though the cushion is good, but I am getting lower ankle pain when I use the running shoes.

Can Tennis shoes be the better solution for playing badminton in outdoor(concrete) courts ?

Thanks

#31 geekbits, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  12. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    I don't know what your level of badminton is, but there are quite some notable differences between tennis and badminton shoes. Even with tennis shoes, there are differences, as there are more surfaces to play on (clay, hardcourt, grass). Badminton shoes tend to be more flexible, lighweight and have a thinner sole to 'feel' the (contact of the) ground for quick movements. Tennis shoes are more 'robust', thicker and have a different sole pattern, as the movements in tennis are less intricate compared to badminton. If you really have to look for shoes with a better shock absorbtion in the sole, I may suggest you to look for volleyball/handball shoes. Those tend to be almost the same as badminton shoes, but are much more sturdier and have a thicker shock absorbing sole. In my competition, I see a lot of the male players wearing these kind of shoes (as the Dutch people are quite heavy/larger built ;) )

13. geekbits

geekbits Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions. My skill level is intermediate and with regard to Volleyball/HandBall shoes, I don't find it online in my region. I need to check with some sports shops for that.

Few in the forum suggest not to use the Indoor court shoes for outdoors and few suggest a new shoe for outdoor use( so regular shoes won't make the Indoor court dirtier)

I am ready to buy a new pair of Indoor court Badminton shoes(for concrete outdoor courts) if that shoe's life would be good in concrete courts. Is it a wise idea to buy Indoor court shoe for outdoor use ? How about the life of court shoes for outdoor use ?

14. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

I can't tell you what's better for outdoor, but I can tell you that badminton shoes are a lot lighter than any volleyball / handball shoes I've had before.
    When I was playing volleyball I was used to wear the Adidas stabil series which are still very good. They are very solid. But on badminton court, they are too bulky and too heavy. It was a great experience when I was wearing my first badminton shoes. It's totally different.
    I think badminton shoes are very compatible to any other indoor sports because badminton shoes are light AND solid. The only thing is: If you're looking for high-cut badminton shoes, there are only a few models in the market. I think Lin Dan has worn some high / mid cut models.

And also worth to mention: There are some great looking badminton shoes on the market :D

#34 Accordaz, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You should get tennis shoes for outdoor (hardcourt) or low cut lightweight basketball shoes. Indoor shoes you will just wreck the soles in no time I imagine ...

16. travoltarulez

travoltarulez Regular Member

Absolutely. Last year I found a new playing partner who had a membership with a premium sports club in Kolkata. While the play facilities were excellent, the indoor courts had concrete floors. My old Nivia badminton shoes (pretty worn out already) lasted just a month on that surface. Then I switched to playing with a pair of Reebok tennis shoes that were lying around. On concrete, not only did they give better cushioning, they served me a whole year (until we found another venue). They still feel good for another year.

Of course, I'm just an intermediate level player who plays for recreation. Dunno what the serious players would say about this. (But then, they'd probably not play on concrete at all!:))

17. geekbits

geekbits Regular Member

Thanks all for the valuable suggestions. :)

<quote>There are some great looking badminton shoes on the market</quote>
    Thanks for the feedback and have one badminton shoe for playing indoors and it is very good .

<quote>You should get tennis shoes for outdoor (hardcourt) or low cut lightweight basketball shoes.</quote>
    Thanks for the valuable suggestions. For the past two days,I moved back from the running shoe to low cut basket ball shoe which I already had. But still, I am experiencing pain in the heel when I try to smash and quickly get back to net for drops. I could easily feel the pressure on my heel when I jump and smash .I am still not comfortable with the shoe but it reduced lot of ankle pain and it is far better than the running shoes.

<quote>Then I switched to playing with a pair of Reebok tennis shoes</quote>

I will surely try tennis shoe as all of you are suggesting. Can you give me any link or model of the Reebok shoe that you are having ?
    Are you getting any pain in your ankle or in in your heel while moving fast between the back boundary line and net or while smashing ? Is it heavy ?

Thanks