Eye injuries in badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by visor, Nov 22, 2012.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=67921]Avenger[/MENTION]
    Hopefully you have fully recovered from your eye injury by now.

2. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Reading this thread brings back an similar experience for a teen in our group. He looked back and got a nylon shuttle in the eye. Luckily it wasn't a hard return and he was fine after resting but I always tell doubles players to face forward when I catch them turning back. That eliminates one potential for accidents, they also know to turn away when they are close in the front and about to receive a smash or hard drive from the opposing front.

Visor's opening post is dead on, great tips that I hope everyone follows AND reminds others in their group.

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    hi Visor, thanks :)
    it is good now, no more dizziness, no more afraid of very bright light (for example in a very bright building such as a mall)
    but the "flyer" in my eye is still there and will be there for the rest of my life. it is nothing big, I got accustomed to it now

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Good to hear. Yes, that "floater" is a small old blood clot inside the eye that will likely be there for a long time. With time, your brain will automatically block it out. But it'll be noticeable in very bright conditions.

5. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I am not sure if this is because of my eye injury or lasik, now if I tried to focus on things like playing video games or doing some job that needs a lot of focus, my injured eye started getting teary (and hot). the tears won't stop for few seconds which forced me to take a break

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably dry eye syndrome from post lasik. Use any of the over counter tear replacement eye drops, especially if you're concentrating hard with your eyes, you'll tend to blink less.

7. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    true, and now I felt kinda dizzy in a very crowded place (can't focus), not only crowded with people, but also with burst of colours, light, and movement such as looking at a road with trees around it (so many leaf..). the worst part is that I barely can see my surrounding when I'm playing badminton, I can see the shuttlecock, the opponent, but not the background. I feel like this is a serious problem. I will go to my eye doctor when I come back to Indonesia (plus something is wrong with my knee.. patella tendonitis?). so many problems with my health this year..

8. frederic

frederic Regular Member

Pharmaceuticals
    It is really very true to say that eye injuries are more common in badminton players. My friend faced this problem about one year ago and now he is out of danger.