Nguyễn Tiến Minh - Vietnam's Hottest!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 17, 2006.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

he does not have a coach??

2. nghutien

nghutien Regular Member

Yes, He has a vietnamese coach in vietnam but the badminton committee is going to change the new foreign coach for Olympic games. Anyway, there's always a mess in vietnamese badminton committee. It's not really a fair fighting environment for good players. :cool:.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Thanks, nghutien.
    That will be very useful :)
    Nguyen Tien Minh was one of the few who did not have a coach (or anyone else, for that matter) by his side at the Singapore Open. (Petr Koukal was another.)

Personally, I believe that if Nguyen had a coach with him during the Singapore Open, he would have got the better of Peter Gade in the quarter-final.

During competition, especially at such a high level, a courtside expert view is critical. A coach (or a colleague) can spot a weakness or a game-plan that wouldn't be immediately visible to a player in the heat of battle. (That's why even senior players have at least a junior standing by during a match.)

During the semi-final, Misbun spoke to Lee Chong Wei for only a few seconds during the 11-point breaks. I guess it must have been to reinforce their plan to attack the deep corners with flatter shots rather than clears. Gade eventually died trying to retrieve from behind him the repeated pushes and drives to his forehand and backhand corners.

If NTM's coach had been around, perhaps he would given similar advice.
    Well, that match is history now.

All the best to Nguyen Tien Minh for what lies ahead :)

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

He needs a coach else he is going to be so-so. If he has Misbun or Li Mao as coach perhaps he will go even further.

5. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Nguyen Tien Minh has excellent fighting spirit. SBA should consider offering him a contract to play for Singapore :)

Attached Files:

6. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    That will be a nice idea, he might be able to leap to success with the support from SBA. He had great fighting spirit in his game against Peter Gade. Anyway, can Nguyen Tien Minh win Ronald susilo? Have they met in any tournaments before?

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm...he will be in top 10...

8. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    What if he were to play against our local number 1 shuttler, will he stand a chance against ronald?

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes...i think...and maybe win it...ronald was been injury several time...this affect his form..

10. bad_lah

bad_lah New Member

programmer
    Be careful with what you say. Nicky didn't get first-class honor unless he thinks that third-class = first-class honor. If you want to prove sth like that, you should prove it yourself rather than listening to a liar.

11. volcom

volcom Regular Member

:eek::eek: Explain more, this is very interesting :eek:...

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't know what you've got against Nicky personally, but you are a new member and this is only your first post and you're saying such things. Accusing someone of being a liar is a serious matter and I hope you refrain from it.

That post from me was dated in Dec 2006, a year and a half ago. In any case I did not say Nicky gave me the information himself and you should not jump at conclusions.

13. bad_lah

bad_lah New Member

programmer
    Also be careful when you read. I didn't say Nicky is a liar. The one that originates the lie is the liar. This is not a personal attack. It's simply the truth and it's nonsense to say 1 or 2 years ago. You shouldn't help to propagate the lie unless you are sure about what you are saying.

14. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    bad_lah, unless you have some facts to share, take it to Private Messaging (PM) with Loh.

Casting aspersions is different from providing details for a matter of discussion. You've put the parties involved on the defensive at the very start.

-dave

#54 wood_22_chuck, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    In Singapore Open, I met Nguyen's coach..forgot his name but spoke to me some Indonesian....I know last time he was sparring with Ronald and Kendrik....it took a while for Asep ( Kendrik and RS' coach) to convince SBA to let Nguyen train/spar in Singapore.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Another article on Nguyen Tien Minh..

..is his coach, Nguyen Anh Hoang??..

Btw, here's an interesting article (might be an old news) on Nguyen Tien Minh & the struggles he (as well as the VBF) has to go through to receive quality coaches.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/sports/?catid=5&newsid=38734
    =========================================================
    Vietnamese badminton struggles to find good coaches

Nguyen Tien Minh, one of two Vietnamese badminton stars who have qualified for the Beijing Olympics in August
    Vietnam now has two outstanding badminton players Nguyen Tien Minh and Le Ngoc Nguyen Nhung who have qualified for the Beijing Olympics in August.

[​IMG]

Yet, there is still concern about the future of Vietnamese badminton as there is no one to replace the two stars when they retire.

Worse still, critics say the training of junior players is not what is should be.

There are not enough qualified instructors and no long-term training plan.

Hiring from outside

Five years back when the 22nd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games took place in Vietnam in 2003, Vietnamese badminton managers had ambitious dreams.

To take the sport to the next level, they invited Chinese instructor Yan Shi Qiang to coach both the men’s and women’s teams, and the decision paid off.

For the first time ever, the women’s team won a bronze medal at the SEA Games.

Qiang focused his coaching efforts on Minh and Nhung and they continued to improve markedly.

The Chinese instructor was employed by the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Sports from 2002-2004, but eventually left owing to disputes with leaders at the Vietnam Badminton Federation (VBF).

Lack of quality instructors

VBF officials have long wanted to find a good instructor for Minh and Nhung to help them further improve their abilities and play at higher-level competitions like the Satellite, Challenger, Open and Super Series.

They believe there are just a few good local instructors and even the best, they say, are far from world-class.

And the state of youth training is even more of a concern, according to officials.

A lack of qualified instructors means that even with good training plans, teams are unable to carry out their goals.

Regional badminton experts say they are surprised to see the level at which Vietnamese athletes perform.

Most players, they say, lack even the most basic techniques.

The current coach of Vietnam’s national badminton team Nguyen The Huy said, “It takes a lot of time to help the young players with techniques and strategies. They are gifted players, but they didn’t have a good start when they began to learn to play badminton. It is a thorny problem for Vietnamese badminton.”

Financial hindrances

Vietnamese badminton managers know their training skills are not up to par, but they are also acutely aware of the dearth of good instructors.

Yet to hire skilled foreign coaches would require much more funding than is currently available for the sport, they said.

Last year, the HCMC Badminton Department invited former world number one Supianto from Indonesia to come and train Tien Minh.

The Indonesian accepted the invitation but asked for a monthly salary of US$4,500, which was more than the city department could afford, and so the plan came to an end.

A few years ago, Vietnam sent players to Indonesia for short-term training as an alternative.

Instructors there suggested Vietnam develop better long-term plans and suggested it would be a better option than the short-term trips.

When Minh and Nhung won places at the Beijing Olympics, the VBF again invited Chinese coach Qiang to instruct the athletes.

However, many speculate that Qiang’s return is just a temporary plan and say Vietnamese badminton needs a bigger overhaul including quality instructors and a long-term vision.

Additionally, the sport needs to focus on other areas besides just training Minh and Nhung, say critics.

By training young players well, it will ensure there is a new generation of professional athletes to replace Minh and Nhung when they retire.

BADMINTON LEADERS SPEAK OUT

■ VBF Secretary Le Thanh Sang said, “Local instructors are not excellent. They can’t train professional players so it’s necessary to invite foreign instructors. We will find good instructors for the national team; but we haven’t been able to find one yet because good instructors don’t want to come to Vietnam. Also, in the future, we will find foreign instructors to help local instructors with the coaching.”

■ Current national badminton team head coach Nguyen The Huy said, “It’s important to employ foreign instructors. Vietnamese players and instructors can learn from them. Chinese instructor Yan Shi Qiang is the best instructor Vietnam has employed, I think. He helped Tien Minh improve a lot and reach his current ranking in the world. I also learned a lot from him when I worked with him at HCMC team and the national team.”

Reported by Le Quang

#56 ctjcad, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    It should be Joko Suprianto........

18. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Nice article.

I think it's crazy how Joko Suprianto demanded a monthly salary of $4,500 to train the players. I doubt it that he even made close to that amount at PBSI.

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    It is quite standard.....you will be shocked if you know how much Li Mao, Park Jo Bong, Rexy , etc got paid......

20. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I wouldn't doubt that Li Mao, Park Jo Bong and Rexy get paid handsomely for their work. However, look at the country that they currently reside in. The countries are either a badminton nation or one that's very developed.

Vietnam is a third world country where the resident find it hard enough to find end meet so you can't really compare it with the other advance country.

The average house hold income is less then $1,000 a year. How are they going to be able to afford to pay a coach $4,500 a month.