Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Actually, not really. LCW has better "down the line" defense. LD has better "body" defense.

IMO, LCW has better footwork than LD. That is LCW's sole advantage. LCW's footwork and allows him to cover smashes down the line.

However, when it comes to smashes directed at the body, LD outperforms LCW. I'm not sure if this is because LD smashes harder than LCW, which makes it look like LD has better body defense.

Having said LCW has better footwork than LD, I think LD has better anticipation than LCW. LD's anticipation alone makes up for his slower footwork and allows LD to get to the shuttle just as fast.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree. The difference in outcome depends on match preparations including video homework. Anticipation is not difficult to achieve, you don t have to be brainy, just study the video and have good memory. You can tell from both MAS and INA tactics, they don t know video homework at all. But adding this important component is crucial to winning in a more effortless manner. The fact that LCW can defeat LD 8 times with LD backed up by teammates and first class coaches indicates he is mentally very strong and can adapt his game during matchplay without comprehensive match preparations. The H2H does not matter. Remember, LD does not play LCW if he does not feel confident of winning, that s why he s the only MS with the cowardly mentality. But many fans esp. MAS ones, tend to see LCW as mentally behind. That s not true. If you are one against an army and still even beat them once, you ve gotta be mentally tougher than anyone of them. And LCW have done it 8 times! That s no fluke. That s platinum stuff! His key problem is tactics. That problem can be solved by intelligent video homework. His coaches can t help him because they don t have the intelligence so he has to figure it out himself. (You see the Danes. Generally their skills are less than the top Asian opponents but they can win because of surprise tactics. The Danes have superior tactical intelligence, whether they win depends on how well they execute the tactics.) and the funny thing about MAS fans. Whenever LCW loses to LD, it s always mental! And it s like LCW cannot lose! When LCW gets his tactics right, he wins. All he has to add to his match preparations is watch the videos to know how he has won or lost. The answers are all there. It s the tactics, not the mental!

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You speak as if there is NO video recording technology in MAS and INA, even with the new Astro Personal Video Recorder technology which is readily available to the masses throughout Malaysia. LCW's coaches can NOT be that dumb and why can LCW himself NOT realise what the wonderful video technology can bring him?

What a BIG FAT JOKE ! LOL

That sounds more like luck and ample preparation on LCW's side and the human factor in LD creeping in.

By the way how has LD been helped by his team mates during the last encounter with LCW in the Hong Kong Super Series 2011? What theory do you have now? Please enlighten :rolleyes:

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I am curios.. How do you know so much what and whatnot preparations LCW is doing before matches? And what analysis of LDs game he is or isnt doing?? Are you somehow involved in the preparations??

Anyone following LCWs career, knows he has had tremendous help with inside knowledge and tactics on the weaknesses and strengths of LD and the other chineese players in his career from the time he was coached by Li Mao (Ex Chineese Coach that used to coach team China an LD).

5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You statement is making it seem as if pjswift has no idea what he is talking about when he is boasting about LCW's luck against LD

6. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I think LCW has been at the WR1 position and enjoying success on the SS circuit for so long that he has somewhat let his ego get to him. In the HKO match the one point I remember very clearly is when LCW dived to his backhand side to return a smash, he stayed down far, far too long for a player of his standard should have. He was on the floor, watching comfortably as LD hit the return for 1-2 seconds, only then deciding to get up but couldn't get to the shuttle in time. He needs to take this match as a wake-up call that he can't afford to slack off, not against LD, not against anyone else.

7. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

i know exactly what you mean - that IS a bad habit of LCW's.

i'm glad lcw lost that point - teachs him not to "showboat" on the floor. he should get straight back up and be ready to defend.

didnt show enough respect to LD in that point and LCW got was he deserved.

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    haha, yet another armchair critic.. I would see you work as hard as LCW for your goals!!!

9. visor

visor Regular Member

In a strange and twisted way, I think we're allowed to be a little bit of an armchair critic, because we've bought many Yonex rackets in the past and spent probably many $$$. Rackets being not that expensive to mass produce, a large percentage of that $$$ probably went to r&d and sponsorship. So if a few $ from my rackets went to LCW, I'm allowed to comment on him a little, whether praise or constructive criticism.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its okay for LCW to lose in Hong Kong. This will give him more desire to nick it in China Open.

11. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think you got it rather backwards.. The money and the sponsorship only comes AFTER the athlete has worked his @ss of and proven himeslf in big competitions..Lazy athlets dont get super-deals from racket producers.

LCWs hard training effort helps YY sell rackets. Nothing else to it really. If he is lazy, then they are probably overpaying him :).

LCW is really the only Top player in badminton YY has these days, so LCW is probably well aware that he is irreplacable for YY.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Where LD has even a greater desire to win it in his own playground? Doubt it.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Kinda like the chicken or egg question... which came first? Wait, let me go buy some more YY rackets, then I'm sure I can further comment more on LCW. :p :D

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    ;-) The problem is it all becomes very expensive when you have to buy lots of Li-Ning rackets as well if you also want to comment on Lin Dan :D

15. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    This is why I love this thread, LCW loses to LD because he doesn't watch enough video or doesn't have video technology, I guess like youtube. hahahaha LOL! I really hope you are joking about that!

Just say it with me one time ... "Lin Dan is a better badminton player than Lee Chong Wei"

I am not saying Lee Chong Wei is not good, I am just saying Lin Dan is usually better than Lee Chong wei.

16. betazone

betazone Regular Member

I have observed most of the LCW vs LD matches for past 2 years, below are my observations
    - LD and LCW are probably on par in terms of footwork
    - LD is superior in anticipation and court intelligence (ie where to stand after a shot, exploiting opponent weakness or in anticipation of next shot)
    - Both are equal in terms of defence
    - LD is slightly superior in terms of offence, because once he is in control he is deadly, there is no way back for LCW (majority of the times)
    - LD is superior in terms of cutting out silly mistakes in his games and handling of tight end games.
    - LD reacts better to external environment variables ie lighting and draft

While it is hard to stomach, after all the gamesmanship of walkovers and withdrawals by Chn plyrs, credit must still be given to LD .....there is probably not another LD for next 10 years or more.

While I hv no idea what is LCW training, definitely more thoughts need to be put into cutting out mistakes, adjusting to different drafts in stadium and mental toughness when chips are down.

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    there is still hope for LCW for London 2012 OG.....

(1) maybe LCW is pretending to be not at his best..... (just like LD at the beginning of 2008)....

(2) secondly, LCW is no longer giving it all and playing 100% because he doesn't want to aggravate his existing injuries and create new ones..... he does have quite a bit of injuries and strains... much more than LD, PG, Taufik and CL...

(3) LCW will stay in top 8 ranking from now to early May even he is not going to win one single title from now to early May... Perhaps he wants to be in lower ranking by early May (perhaps at ranking no. 6)... so that China would think LCW is no longer a threat.... LCW may even copy LD's Thomas Cup 2008 strategy.... You guys remember LD losing to LCW in Thomas CUp 2008, just 3 months before Beijing 2008 OG.... quite a strategy... THere is no shame for LCW to copy LD's behaviour....

(4) my best advice for LCW is this... after SS Finals, pretend to have major injury... from January to May 2012, lose at round 1 or round 2 of all tournaments..... in May 2012, lose at Thomas cup.... that is the only way to let LD and CJ's guard down...

18. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    The Truth of the Matter

The Truth of the Matter

In the beginning both LD and LCW have good mastery and sound knowledge of badminton skills (1990s).

But then, LCW lacked the attacking style and injection of pace which was greatly improved upon through years of hard,intensive and disciplined training. By then LCW had learned this new skill hardly mastered by other players in the Malaysian camp.

While this was happening, China’s LD was impressed upon by Master Tang that LD needs to add new elements to his game instead of relying too much on his fury of attacking smashes all the time as this would lead him to sustain more injuries and finding it hard to sustain his game when age eventually takes a toll.

So what does LD has that LCW doesn’t, or what does LD has more of than LCW?

It boils down to LD’s flair of making opponents unable to read his game. While LCW’s superb retrieving skills and ability to inject pace at will is at par if not better than LD, badminton has developed so much now that one really needs to develop a flair of anticipating your opponents shots, or you yourself have to develop your game into something unreadable all the time. I don't care if you can fire a 500km/h smash because if I am waiting there at the right corner or spot to retrieve it, it really spoils the opponent's plan doesn't it?

While LCW's signature cross court smashes is his favourite (so is LD’s) but the problem is LD and CL is able to read LCW's game better now and they are getting better at this while we speak. Whether they are able to read LCW’s game solely on their own or with the help of analytic minds of china’s coaching camp is another luxury which LCW is lacking in the Malaysian camp. While all too often we have commented for the lack of video analysis (which is not) but what is really important is the mind that does the analysis. Where does it come from in the Malaysian camp? TSB? Rashid? High performance Bata director? Whoever it is from, is it sufficient for LCW?

All signature style winning shots when used too often can be detrimental to the player using it too often as the opponents are not playing you for the first time. :crying:

Players like LD who focuses more on flair typically shuns away from playing too much tournaments to keep opponents like LCW guessing. Players like LCW polishes their styles day in and day out and practices them till they become perfect. This is the good and the bad of both type of players.:crying:

The problem for LCW now is that his game is readable to LD whereas LD’s game keeps LCW more on the guessing side. When your opponent reads your game better than you do his, surely then your mental stress will begin to rise exponentially at the Olympics due next year in London. :crying:

So while LCW's rising to the top in ranking is due to his adding new dimension of injection of pace, it is of utmost prerogative for LCW and the Malaysian camp to add a new dimension to LCW's game so as to NOT be read by LD and the gang like an open book. :crying:

At a time when you are just exploding and oozing with aura on the tournament scene, winning shots are your forte. But when your opponents are frustrated with all your winning shots, the only way for them to counter attack is to see it before your winning shots come.

So what LCW should do now is frustrate LD's game by reading all his shots (if that is possible) and then follow up with winning shots because - this is exactly what LD is doing to him !:crying:

#6758 Pakito, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Interesting point of view.

20. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

How to face the CTC members and the BOLEH BAM members?