Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks. Obviously, Lin Dan isn't up to speed at the moment, he's slackened quite a bit during the six-month break, down to about 80% of his previous, normal physical condition according to his trainer.

From what I've gathered, his trainer wasn't with him during his off period - Lin Dan wouldn't want him around during his private time and CBA certainly wouldn't give him such a privilege and waste resources. He did say (in some of the articles I've read) he kept himself fit by working out at the gym and jogging as often as he could except when he's involved in those many felicitations, commercial,official and some public welfare activities, including the long Spring Festival holidays and the 5-day honeymoon overseas . In fact he didn't get to touch the racquet much other than during the CBSL and at the following China National Team event he admitted he hadn't touched a racquet for two-three weeks when he played Chen Yuekun who stretched him to three sets.

Based on the videos and descriptions of his matches in CBSL, the Peter Gade Farewell Match, and the CHN Nat'l Team C'ship, he is definitely off-form. Not to worry, he together with his coach and trainer will put things right in good time. Still I realistically don't expect Lin Dan to be the same as before as far as badminton is concerned.

In this video, he reiterated that after 12 years of total dedication to the sport his priority is now family first as his emotional bonds with his family have become stronger and deeper, mutually.

2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Hhm, these seem to be good fitness training techniques. Maybe I should apply them to my own too.

3. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Interesting the stuff you read and the stuff I read gave totally opposite reports :D

Trainer said 80-90% of what his London Olympics condition was...not "normal" :p Granted no one knows what his normal is and what his OG cond'n is comparatively, but watch 1:15 again :)

#3723 Borbor, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I was thinking Sun Qi, Lin Dan's physical trainer, has in mind his physical condition prior to the long break,i.e. before, up to and including the Olympics, not the Olympics per se. So I don't supposed his peak fitness, not referring to overall form, should differ significantly from what is normal as compared with the non-Olympic period where you still have other major events such as the World Championships, Thomas Cups, for example. In other words, it's not as if his fitness level is at his very best only during the Olympic cycle period (say about six months,if you like), and then during the rest of the period before that he is off-peak, so considered in normal physical condition.

For me, I'd compare his condition (not his form which includes skills level) before and after the long six-month,unprecedented break, rather than what is 'normal' versus 'peak'; otherwise it'd imply that Lin Dan's physical condition is at his best only during the Olympic period whereas the rest of the time he is just 'normal' which doesn't seem to be the case to me.

Anyway, we may be spitting hairs, so to speak, if we try to make a comparative difference between his so-called 'OG condition' from his 'normal condition' as if there's a considerable gap between the two. To me, it would make more sense to compare his condition before and after the long break he took. A matter of perspective , I supposed. :)

Lastly, I believe the stuff I've read aren't that much different from yours as to be 'totally opposite'. It appears to me that Sun Qi, like Lin Dan himself was wont to do the past few months, is giving a diplomatic, PR type of answer to the reporters' questions. How else do you explain Li YB and Xia XZ pulling out Lin Dan's name from the All England at the last minute and refusing to commit his participation in any tournament until he is certified fit to do so after a period of systematic training more for fear of risking injury than losing as they claimed. Just my two cents.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In this online article,http://sports.people.com.cn/n/2013/0307/c22155-20711933.html, thanks to bdfreak87 who first posted it, Li Yongbo talked about Lin Dan in passing:

Li Yongbo hinted that if Lin Dan after resumption of training is not up to speed yet,he will not be fielded for the Sudirman Cup or even the World Championship. He added:" Even if Lin Dan starts competing, we will not demand results from him like before. We are doing some review of our overall thinking and direction ".

6. julianng

julianng Regular Member

does anybody know if LD is playing in the world championships in guangzhou this year... ???

or is he pulling out of the WC too ??

7. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

with CL now keep proving himself, i think LD won't be there at WC.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Lin Dan's ranking is now 24....

9. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Not for long. Losing 11,000 points from AE last year, he will drop to mid 30s.

LD will play the Asia Championship. Even if he wins that, he can only gain 2,100 points.

It would be interesting to see if BWF will stab LCW at the back by offering LD a wild card entry to WC.

10. T-maker

T-maker Regular Member

Trouble Maker
    lol....mebbe no need LD... CL will 'kill' LCW....

11. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Well, I would like to see who is better now: CL or LD ?

12. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

perhaps you should say who should LCW worry most now?

13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    No! I don't care whom LCW should worry at all.

I only care who is the current best.

By the way, whom LCW worries the most, is neither something which can be measurable, nor indication of anything meaningful. Fans easily fight each other for those unmeasurable things.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Lin Dan: sport more than medals

China Daily, March 12, 2013
    http://www.china.org.cn/sports/2013-03/12/content_28216962.htm

Excerpts:

...The 29-year-old was attending the Laureus World Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year Awards as ambassador of the award in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, host city of the next Olympics in 2016.

As the world's most-decorated badminton player with 15 world titles and two Olympics gold medals, Lin hopes his fellow players hold on to their dreams.

"Winning gold is not the aim, but to never give up to win," he said, insinuating his rollercoaster Olympic career from 2004 in Athens where he went on to be knocked out after the first round.

"Athletes are alone on court with no one to turn to but themselves."

The well-built and neat-cut-haired man, who has an army of adorable fans, said "Athletes are not those who are simply for competing, but for acting to promote the sport and modeling for people."

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Sorry, I can't resist but I think he is not a representative of the bold text.

16. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    dont you saw the word ACTING?
    i do think he do that all the time.;)

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Why not? Commercial value and TV time is sound in getting LD into WC 2013. Its the crowd that they want.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Why not? Commercial value and TV time is sound in getting LD into WC 2013. Its the crowd that they want.

19. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    After he retire as a player, I think LD should be selected as BWF CEO at some point in his career to promote badminton worldwide as what he wrote in his thesis. We all hope a badminton player can win Laureus World Sportsman or Sportswoman of the Year Awards.

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

agree with bolds, but for LD be BWF CEO i am not so sure. maybe LCW would be better.